flyhi

Who's Selling Samaurai's?

Read in Parachutist that Brian Germain and Big Air Sportz are going to start selling Samaurai's through dealers soon. Wonder if there is a "bytch" from the "sky" (and I say that with the utmost respect) or anyone anywhere who would know the specifics, i.e. when, who, how much, special introductory offers, deals,...
Jumped one at one of the Boogies, and it was sweet.
flyhiB|

The Samurai is an awesome canopy.. I've got about 15 jumps between the 136 and 120.. The only thing I didn't like is there is LOTS of oversteer when using rear risers and the brakes are set - I think maybe they were set too deep.. Oversteer was significant, but not excessive, during normal turns.......but the thing dives like an SOB on the hook! :)Mike

The brakes are set deep on purpose for hooking hard or carving on front risers and getting maximum speed without deflecting your tail.
This makes it a little more difficult to land until you get a lot of jumps on one. You would never know that the brakes were set deep if you watched my friend Wane jump his 136, if I jumped it you would think somehting was wrong, hahahaha. I take a wrap..
ramon

Y'know, to be totally honest, I'm not sure if we're selling them or not... we were a dealer, then he decided he wasn't going to sell through dealers so we weren't a dealer, now he's decided he is going to sell through dealers....
Haven't seen any info on the canopy's (specs, prices, etc) as of yet... at this point some of you know waaay more about the Samurai than I do! :)pull and flare,
lisa

As far as deal....doubt it, it is an expensive low volume canopy. PD is manufacturing them for brian though because the precision deal feel through, My buddies brand new one came from PD with warning labels and a Samurai label in the same spot as a vengeance.
Old jedeis and samurais did not have any labels.
???

In the latest issue of Parachutest there was an Article that mentioned that there was a slight cost increase and both of Brians canopies now cost the same price as a Vengence. So, if you know how much off retail you can find a Vengence, you could probally get a BigAir Sportz canopy at that price too.
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique

In the latest issue of Parachutest there was an Article that mentioned that there was a slight cost increase and both of Brians canopies now cost the same price as a Vengence. So, if you know how much off retail you can find a Vengence, you could probally get a BigAir Sportz canopy at that price too.

I wonder if the increase was due to an increase in the cost of materials and labor, or if PD wouldn't agree to make a canopy to compete with the Vengeance that would also have a lower cost.
Hmm...
-
Jim
Help with cancer research here.

The brakes are set deep on purpose for hooking hard or carving on front risers and getting maximum speed without deflecting your tail.

Actually, what I was referring to was the brake setting for deployment......NOT the brake line length.. I never had any problem landing the thing - but with the deployment brakes set the thing had serious oversteer.. I didn't need to take a wrap on either the 136 or the 120, but I only landed it straight in once..
Mike

with the deployment brakes set the thing had serious oversteer..

OK I'm a bit late but I've been jumping the Jedei for about 3 weeks now and can weigh in intelligently.
The oversteer in brakes is pretty serious. First few times I thought I had lineovers or something cuz I'd hit a rear riser to sort of guide the opening and the thing spun like mad on me. When it did that on every opening I figured out that it was just overreacting to my inputs. Now I just do a little tap-tap on the risers and that seems to work well.
What's weird is that even though it's hyper-sensitive to riser inputs in brakes, it tends to open up pretty much on heading if you let it. Haven't really had any bad spin-ups.
As far as dialing in the flare... this has taken some getting used to. Like ramon said, it's way down in the stroke and very very different from the Sabre's (and the Vengeance's). I can land it without biffing, but getting a nice surf out of it is very difficult. A little too much input and it pretty much shuts down. I can tell this is going to take a lot of jumps to dial in because it's very much a touch thing.
Love the airlocks though. Its always felt rock solid, even on gusty wind days (biatch to collapse on said days though ;)).
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

The oversteer in brakes is pretty serious. First few times I thought I had lineovers or something cuz I'd hit a rear riser to sort of guide the opening and the thing spun like mad on me. When it did that on every opening I figured out that it was just overreacting to my inputs. Now I just do a little tap-tap on the risers and that seems to work well.
What's weird is that even though it's hyper-sensitive to riser inputs in brakes, it tends to open up pretty much on heading if you let it. Haven't really had any bad spin-ups.

As I said before, it seems that every Jedei(at least the ones I've jumped) has its own personality......but in my experience, the Jedei and Samurai openings are generally on heading with a little harness input during deployment.. If you shift in the harness, you can induce a turn without a problem.. On a Samurai loaded at 1.8, I can get the canopy spinning quite fast with just harness weight shift - deployment brakes set or in full flight..
The landings will take a little time to get used to, but once you dial it in I think you'll be damn happy, and get some pretty awesome swoops..
Mike