skydivemike

jumpsuits

I would like to know what jumpsuit anyone would suggest for a beginner freeflyer. I have been looking and decided on either the freeflying suit from Tony Suit, or the Multi-suit from Tony Suit. Also, Is there any place in Ontario to buy these types of jumpsuits.
P.S. When ordering online you have to send your measurements and I was wondering about the leg measurements. Whenever I tighten the leg straps on my gear, my pants always seem to get raised up pretty high and I was wondering if I needed to take that into consideration when measuring the legs.

Whenever I tighten the leg straps on my gear, my pants always seem to get raised up pretty high and I was wondering if I needed to take that into consideration when measuring the legs.

Any good jumpsuit manufacturer should take that into account - just give them the measurements they ask for (e.g. inseam) and they should add whatever they need to to account for the pull of the legstraps.
Geoff

Thanks Geoff!
Also, could anyone tell me what type of material I should get for the jumpsuit. On the Tony suit website it suggests that for my weight (200lbs) that I should get heavy cotton for the arms and legs and supplex for the rest of the suit. Does this drastically change the way you fly and can anyone, that is roughly my weight and has a freefly suit, give suggestions on what types of material is needed for my freefly suit.
Thanks

My tip for jumpsuits: always try to go through a dealer... why: if it dont fit, the manufacturer cant blame you for taking measurements incorectly....
There should be a few Tony suit dealers in Ontario... been 2 years since I lived there, but the major DZs should have dealers around...
There are a couple of canadian manufacturers around.. with the US $ still being high, it may be a good alternative, especially if its your 1st suit (wheather RW or FF)... ask around at your DZ....
As far as matrial: how fast or slow are you? it boils down to that, again wheather RW or FF... if you are fast, get the heavy stuff..., if you dont know: find out with your coaches!
Remi
Muff 914

Hot tips on measurements,
1) Have someone else measure you, ideally a dealer for the suit you are ordering. It's nearly impossible to get correct measurements if you're trying to measure yourself. Getting measurements can be fun; grab your significant other and use your imagination... If you don't have a significant other or a local dealer, find a tailor or seamstress.
2) Follow the measuring instructions provided by the manufacturer. Don't guess what they mean by ankle, wrist, chest, "Z", etc.
3) If you are being measured by someone other than a dealer or tailor, have the measurer take each measurement twice. If they come up different, have them measure again.
For the fabric, go with what the suit manufacturer recommends. The heavier fabric that Tony Suits suggests for the arms and legs for someone your weight provides the extra drag that a heavier freeflier needs to stay up with the featherbutts. Lighter jumpers can get away with lighter material all over the suit because they need less drag to fly relative to you.
pull and flare!
"I feel so alive, for the very first time, and I think I can fly" - P.O.D.

I've got to pip in for Merlin Suits. They built me a suit thats lasted from just off student status to my current jumps with no signs of it faling. And if you've ever seen me land, I tend to be the only one off the DZ in the beans while the entire load is hitting in the peas. Plus 5-10 day delivery times (at that time) and some sweet tye-dying at a cheap price made me decide to go with them again if I ever get an RW suit (more likely a camera suit).
Be safe, be smooth, be fast..... and most importantly.... be phree :)

I've got to pip in for Merlin Suits. They built me a suit thats lasted from just off student status to my current jumps with no signs of it faling.

I have a Merlin freefly suit that has, so far, lasted me almost 200 jumps - and I don't see it quitting anytime soon.. The only problem with it is that it is not quite baggy enough in the legs - I have to really work to fly slow head down.. I live 15 minutes from Merlin Suits, so I went over there and had her measure me, and then picked the suit up, and I had it in 5 days - but, of course, that will depend on how busy they are at the moment..
Mike