Deleted

Thank you for the VIRUS

How, via e-mail?

A large majority of viruses are actually worms, they self replicate via the host's e-mail address book and automatically send themselves out with out the user knowing.

Beyond that, its hard for someone to just "give" you a virus, same with e-mail, you actually have to open something or run something to infect your computer.

That is why if you're on the Internet, you should be running a good anti-virus software. May I suggest NAV, its what I used for years and it works very well.

Oh, and I doubt HH will look kindly upon you posting a post like this, with a telephone number of another user, in a threat. Not cool.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Guess what.
My ISP identified this website as the origin of the virus.
I do have anti virus protection, thank you.
This however doesn't make it OK to send viruses to
MY e-mail address!
If you think the phone number I posted is phony, please call it.
I would be glad to let you know what I think of your crass reply to my messages!

back off, troll. This is a forum for discussing errors and bugs on the website. Not a forum to vent that your computer has been infected by a virus.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Amazing the great support and understanding extended a new member.
I wonder how this thread would have been recieved, by the very persons injecting their not so kind replies,had it been themselves being new?
Not to mention recieving a virus to thier personal e-mail address from "[email protected], with the subject line "Dropzone Registration" ?
I'm not vindictive.
I know right from wrong though.

How did your ISP identify this as the originating host?

Could you paste the header of the email here so I can show that it did'nt come from here?

>[email protected]

That email address is not part of the Dropzone.com environment.

Subject lines can be randomly created, trust me here on this one. I work with NAI all the time in tracking and identifying of viruses and worms.

Dropzone.com uses a webbased mailer that limits the number of emails that can be sent and the number of reciepients at a time. Nice thing about this is that they would have to key in your address specifically and press send to send you an email. This type of a system is nice since it limits the impact of worms.

Just since the sender address says it came from dropzone.com does not mean it really did. Spoofed email addresses, subject lines and even reciepients are all common tricks that virus writers use to get you to open their emails and infect your system. They want you to think it came from someone you know and there for would trust.

If you paste the headers this whole thing can be cleared up in about 2 minutes.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Tanto,

Don't thank for the heads up, he's wrong. A website can't "give" you a virus. You have to actually open some sort of infected file.

Lets see, I've been on this site for over 3 years, I've been on the site just about every day for a bit over 3 years. Have I ever recieved a virus from it? Nope.

Alrighty, new angle.

I worked as an IT professional for an ISP for a bit over 3 years. I'm saying this guy is wrong. This guy obviously knows nothing about computers, but is trying to believe that something that can't happened, happened.

Who's to believe.

Seeing as you know right from wrong... can you forward me the communication between you and your ISP? I'd love to see how you got the virus. Also, can you please tell me which virus you received from this person?

Knowing which virus it is may shed some light on how this got distributed. I think if you do a little research into viruses you'll understand that in many cases the person whom the virus "appears" to be from has nothing to do with sending this virus.

See this post

So, send me some more info and I can try to help. Other than that, all Dropzone.com Mail goes through a virus scanner... It's your responsibility to protect yourself from receiving viruses.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Don't thank for the heads up, he's wrong.

I believe I have the right to thank anyone I want, thank you very much. Even if he is wrong, I think he just wanted to report something he 'believed' happened from this site. Are you trying to pick a fight w/me or do you just like telling people what they can and can not say?

A website can't "give" you a virus. You have to actually open some sort of infected file.

I know it can't 'give' you a virus. However, isn't it possible that he opened an infected file from this site?

Have I ever recieved a virus from it? Nope.

I've never received one from this site either. I hope he is wrong.

Who's to believe.

I'll believe HH when he looks into it.

Ok here it is.
1 I made no implication of a virus originating or sent by this website, EVER.
2 I don't know this for sure, but believe it was sent by a member on thier own volition.
3 i am not an IT-master-guru-computer-know-it-all, and therefore cannot confirm it even came from a DZ member.
4 My computer is brand new (not the first though) and I had sent/rceived less than one handful of e-mails to virus protected locations before DZ.
5 as i have already deleted that E-mail which from the beginning,included........
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:59:59 -0500
Reply-To:
To:
Subject: WARNING: YOU WERE SENT A VIRUS
The virus software on ev1.net has reported that you were sent a virus from [email protected], with the subject "Dropzone.com Registration"
The E-mail containing the virus has been removed to prevent further damage.
[Outlook 'CR' Vulnerability] was found in file: [no attachment].
6 Aggiedave, I read you are a skydive instructor, so do you think we can have a bit of discourse in a civil way?
7 I have sent a message about this to the moderator already.
8 If the consensus determines my humor, computer ineptitude, or misdirected so-called accusations are cause for further castigation, abuse or membership dismissal then so-be-it. I would not visit here further.
9 if on the other hand, after some hand wrenching and cessation of fiery keyboarding, we could become freinds and share some great experiences!
10 I would like to freefly/fall/dive or otherwise exit an airframe someday. And I will.
Brian Howard
Matsuflyer

Ok here it is.
1 I made no implication of a virus originating or sent by this website, EVER.

No, but you stated you believed it came from a site member, and included a threat against him/her.

2 I don't know this for sure, but believe it was sent by a member on thier own volition.
3 i am not an IT-master-guru-computer-know-it-all, and therefore cannot confirm it even came from a DZ member.

Yet in your first post you threatened the well-being of a site member.

4 My computer is brand new (not the first though) and I had sent/rceived less than one handful of e-mails to virus protected locations before DZ.

If it is not your first computer, you should have a better idea of what viruses are and how they are actually propagated.

5 as i have already deleted that E-mail which from the beginning,included........
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:59:59 -0500
Reply-To:
To:
Subject: WARNING: YOU WERE SENT A VIRUS
The virus software on ev1.net has reported that you were sent a virus from [email protected], with the subject "Dropzone.com Registration"
The E-mail containing the virus has been removed to prevent further damage.
[Outlook 'CR' Vulnerability] was found in file: [no attachment].

You here have shown the information sent you by your postmaster that a virus was sent to you from someone with a specious title and you used that as the basis of your accusations? Who are you going to blame when (and it is a matter of when, not if) you get one that has headrs showing it came from you? Or your SO or your parents? Are you going to go off on them and threaten their coputer or their person?

6 Aggiedave, I read you are a skydive instructor, so do you think we can have a bit of discourse in a civil way?

Was you first post in any way civil?

7 I have sent a message about this to the moderator already.

I hope he explains to you that you were barking up the wrong tree. Just for your information, the moderator you refer to, if you sent it to the moderator of the forum, is none other than the site owner.

8 If the consensus determines my humor, computer ineptitude, or misdirected so-called accusations are cause for further castigation, abuse or membership dismissal then so-be-it. I would not visit here further.
9 if on the other hand, after some hand wrenching and cessation of fiery keyboarding, we could become freinds and share some great experiences!

Such peacemaking efforts should in all rightness begin with your apology to Sangiro, the site owner, for the accusations (not so-called, you made accusations and threats); secondly you should apologixe to the community in general for your not so veiled threat. Perhaps you should also read the FAQs and forum rules to learn what is acceptable behaviour here. Treat us with respect, you will be treated with the same.

10 I would like to freefly/fall/dive or otherwise exit an airframe someday. And I will.
Brian Howard
Matsuflyer

We will be happy to have you join us. Just listen to your instructor(s) and don't act like you know anything because you read it here or anywhere else on the internet.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

I don't understand why this is such a big deal?

Yeah, he was aggravated when he wrote his initial post...but why get so agitated over it?

He reported something...(not using the best choice of words, I agree):|

What did I miss?[:/]

Can someone explain this to me (civilly)?

I don't understand why this is such a big deal?

Yeah, he was aggravated when he wrote his initial post...but why get so agitated over it?

He reported something...(not using the best choice of words, I agree):|

What did I miss?[:/]

Can someone explain this to me (civilly)?

I am not aggravated, just trying to explain.

I'm sorry if I didn't succeed with you. To put it simply, he was rude and threatening; rudeness can be explained and sometimes even be acceptable, threatening is just plain wrong.

The point I was tryin to make at the end of my last post was that since he started the whole kefuffle with his post, he should acknowledge that he should be the one to make amends, not those he offended.

Maybe I hadn't given my coffee time to work before I made that post and was unclear...

FYI, there are those at wreck daht who belittle dropzone.com for our "feel good" ways because we insist on people being civil to one another; post something similar to the initial post in this thread over there and see what the reaction is. This just caused a minor disturbance in The Force; you don't want to see the sort of shitstorm it would cause there.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Tanto,

Sorry, I wasn't posting to try to tell you what you could or could not say, the way I worded my post was misleading in that respect. Please except my fullest appologes.

Alright, he's what my post meant, since I obviously didn't word it correctly, and here's my intent of the post.

The initial post was very inflammitory in nature and looked (to me and others) to be aggressive towards this site and HH. Especially since the initial post was trying to express events that are now currently impossible.

Thus, since HH is actually a friend of mine and what he does here (out of his own pocket at no small expense) I viewed the original post (as it was worded) as very insulting and upsetting.

Sorry for the confusion in my original post.