Tink1717

Pulling the plug on Speakers Corner

The lack of moderation is what made rec.skydiving totally useless. Bonfire/SC is what keeps the other forums on this site useful. I don't always agree with the decisions moderators make here, but I do absolutely believe they are necessary.

Dave

Now now, Dave. I love dropzone.com as much as, if not more than, the next person, but to say that rec.skydiving is totally useless is bull. In fact, if it weren't for the rec dot, I probably would have never came back to the sport. I've met some seriously good folk from over there, as well as here. Each serve their own purpose, which is why i still frequent both.

Sangiro did NOT start this website to shut down the rec. He built this site to give people a choice. Some chose to come here. Some chose to stay there. Many, like me, choose to frequent both.

Thanks HH!
:)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Rec. was averaging 20 replies a week last I was on it. I think even the History Fourm gets more then that here :ph34r:

Yea, but the rec has Spurgeon. ;):D
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Getting rid of SC is about a million light years away from what the NAZIs were up to. And while we're at it, why not get rid of bonfire?

I think the only purpose of The Bonfire is to keep the crap out of the topical forums.

Get rid of The Bonfire, and the topical forums go to hell.

I think the only purpose of Speakers Corner is to keep the crap out of The Bonfire.

Get rid of Speakers Corner, and the Bonfire goes to hell, and crap starts showing up in the topical forums.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Getting rid of SC is about a million light years away from what the NAZIs were up to.

I'm sorry that you failed to grasp my analogy. It wasn't about Nazis.

And while we're at it, why not get rid of bonfire?

There it is again - that mysterious and inexplicable urge to deny something to others, which is so easily bypassed by those who don't care for it! What is the psychology behind this strange and overpowering urge?

I think I understood your quote perfectly. You equated removal of SC with the type of repression practiced by fascists.

What you don't understand is that by censoring in the form of moderating was not working. Even when it was talk back, it wasn't working. The content does not lend itself to working and playing well with others. Notice all the stickies at the top. Notice how much of a presence the moderators have to be in there. I don't want to deny anything to anyone in particular, but SC is broken. It needs to be fixed.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

It *DOES* seem that SC "needs" more moderation than other forums. Tempers flare, and things get said in the heat of the moment that may not have been said after a few hours time to 'cool off'.

Here's a suggestion - put a time delay on SC posts (if it's possible in the software) - delay it, say, two hours. During that two hours, the original poster (or a mod) can go in and modify/delete the post if needed.

I think that would go a long way toward reducing the "required moderator load" in SC...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Here's a suggestion - put a time delay on SC posts (if it's possible in the software) - delay it, say, two hours. During that two hours, the original poster (or a mod) can go in and modify/delete the post if needed.

I think that would go a long way toward reducing the "required moderator load" in SC...

People would want to know why the mods hadn't read "that post" during the two hour waiting period, and deleted or modified it. Basically, I'd expect you'd see people getting upset if the mods didn't read every post within the time limit, prior to posting. That's a whole lot of extra work.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

People would want to know why the mods hadn't read "that post" during the two hour waiting period, and deleted or modified it. Basically, I'd expect you'd see people getting upset if the mods didn't read every post within the time limit, prior to posting. That's a whole lot of extra work.

Hi Tom -

I guess I didn't make my point as well as I thought I had.

The "quarantine" would be to give the poster a chance to change their mind and delete or edit their post, or a mod the chance to delete the post if it's too much of a flame.

You mods work hard at a thankless job - all y'all have my gratitude.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I know this is silly, but might I suggest that people think before they post? Sure would solve a lot of problems in there.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I would say "yes, I agree"...but tempers flare, and words get said...

Just like the post that got locked down about the tandem reserve lines, and the "troll" post last week. It's not endemic to SC, although what do you expect from a forum for religion, politics and guns? Those are 3 of the biggest triggers out there, for a a lot of people.

As I said, I dont know if the software would support it or not. I think a two hour wait, with the user having to re-confirm the post before it goes "live", might just tone things down a bit....
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

All that would do is set it up to consume more of the thin resources DZ.Com has.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I think I understood your quote perfectly. You equated removal of SC with the type of repression practiced by fascists.

Incorrect.

It was about setting a precedent for removing types of speech that someone doesn't like. If you start with Speaker's Corner, it may spread to Bonfire, and then who knows where it will end.

If you don't like Speaker's Corner, don't go there. Leave it be for those that do.

It was about setting a precedent for removing types of speech that someone doesn't like. If you start with Speaker's Corner, it may spread to Bonfire, and then who knows where it will end.

Yeah, good idea! Freeflyers shouldn't be allowed to post! No, make that guys with purple mirages. Yeah! Good thinking! :P

Dave

Yeah, good idea! Freeflyers shouldn't be allowed to post! No, make that guys with purple mirages. Yeah! Good thinking! :P

Oh, hell. I freefly and have a purple Mirage. Good thing I'm only rarely ever in SC.;)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

All that would do is set it up to consume more of the thin resources DZ.Com has.

Its not your site. you don't like it, you don't look. Sangiro wants to make it available and that is his choice.

I never understand why people get worked up about things that they have the option of not viewing.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

To all those who say that they avoid the CRAP in Speaker's Corner; could you define CRAP? Or perhaps you call CRAP everything that requires effort to be understood and/ or what makes you feel anxious? :) If so, do not worry - it's quite common approach in the global scale :/ Afterall, thinking hurts as hell and the one who said it didn't only thought he had been ever thinking ;)