ladyskydiver

Polls

Related topic:

I've noticed in talk back polls will spawn from a popular thread with the same general topic and the same replies. Sometimes it is done by the person who started the original thread. Maybe you could allow the thread creator to go back and add a poll to a thread so they wouldn't have to clutter everything
up with multiple threads.

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

a problem i can see with it is that somebody will want to share their opinion, or will want to choose other, and so they will start another thread asking poeple to explain why they chose what they did, or what do people think of the results, etc.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I think this is a great idea - to allow a user to post a poll and not allow comments.

If someone wants to vote in a poll now, but *not* read the comments, they are already free to do so.

Meanwhile, those that *do* want to add and read comments can also do so.

So the current situation is the best of both worlds. I don't see any reason to restrict things.

The issue is in the very first line of the post ..

How many of you checks the poll results, before you answer the poll

Maybe you can be allowed to view the results, but sacrifice your vote after you do?

Well heck, these polls here aren't exactly scientific. If someone want's to find out which way the vote is going, before casting their own vote, that's going to happen. But I would like to think that most people would have the integrity to vote the way the really feel, regardless of other votes. After all, they are anonyomous votes, so respondents can vote with privacy. I'm sure there are also pranksters who take pleasure in trying to screw with the results. Let's not take these polls too seriously...

Seeing as this suggestions was spawned by a post of mine I thought I’d add my 2 cents and the reasoning behind my post.

I said “almost wish” because I’ve concluded that it probably wouldn’t work overall (otherwise I’d have probably requested it myself at some point).

What I think it would add is the ability to simply poll the “common belief”. All too often what I believe you actually get is the belief of the thread as it were. Ie, a poll is posted, it gets argued about and whoever shouts loudest or, to be fair more often than not - is right, influences the poll and you see a glut of votes on that one answer.

I don’t know if those votes are there because the majority of people are right, or because they have read the thread, learned something and simply answered accordingly.

If you had a poll which cloud not be posted on then you would only see the “commonly held belief” which would be a tool to see if there was a common misconception out there.

Also spare a thought for those subjects like religion, guns and bush etc where it would be nice to see a poll without a starting a slanging match appended.

The reasons why I don’t think that overall it would work are because A: we can find out common misconceptions (ok its much harder to do and a “locked” poll would allow you to do this much easier) and B: it would be abused (deliberately or not) as people would simply post a “locked” poll where an “open” poll would be much more suitable and this would end up being a limit to debate.

In essence the concept of a “locked” poll would I think, add something but it would fall into such a small bracket of usefulness that it would simply be either ignored or overused.