PhreeZone

Restrict Incidents fourm

Is there anyway that it might be possible to restrict the viewing of the Incidents fourm to only registered members of Dropzone.com? Take away the guest access to that fourm basically?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'd even restrict the visibility, to prevent hunters from browsing and finding. That's a good idea.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

if the forum was "limited access only" it could draw criticizm, or give others the impression the "members only access" have something to hide. it's a shame that reporters search for information the way they do, but whether this forum is restricted or not, they will still access the information correct or not and print it. so this would be an exercise in futility in my opinion, although it is a good idealogical conception.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Not if non-members are not aware of its presence

assuming that we don't have a member in our presence that would provide the information...right? point being, we cannot stop information leaks no matter what the precautions taken.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Well, of course. And it wouldn't take but more than a minute for an interested journalist to register an account, anyway. What it would do would be to prevent those people (not only journalists) who are making a cursory glance at the website out of morbid curiosity or for sensationalist means from having access to such materials.
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

Make a two week delay from registration to access. That way whatever issue is hot will have died down somewhat.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I'd prefer not to see that. It prevents the reporting of incidents if it happens a a DZ that a active poster is not a jumper at. A day possibly, but anything more then that will prevent the reporting of incidents.

The way this fourm software is designed, its just eaiser to make that fourm members only viewable. (kinda like the Moderators fourm is only visable to Grennies;))
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

kinda like the Moderators fourm is only visable to Grennies)

Ears perk up and mind starts to wonder what they talk about...

Its probably the normal stuff...Chuck posts boobies, Bytch deletes the thread, Quade posts more boobies, then Skymama deletes the thread...etc.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Speaking as a person who reads the incidents forum often, and rarely logs in and posts, this is a terrible move!

I first found the Incidents section because I was exploring the site, looking for education. Today, I find that the Incidents forum is not displayed under Forums page - the next new explorer may never know of it's existence, and will be prevented from the opportunity to learn!

If the people who manage this site (an excellent and useful site, to be sure!) think an additional layer of "protection" needs to be, leave the link on the Forums description page, but if someone clicks on it, then tell them they need a free login. And then you are right back to the possibility of what was being complained about.

Either keep the information open, or accept that it has moved to an elitist category available only to those who already know of it's existence, diminishing it's usefulness as an educational tool.

Or just go back to a free and open exchange of information available to all who seek to learn.

BTW - I thought this was a moderated forum - I thought the moderator could kill posts that were wandering into attack or other modes, even email repeat offenders, etc. I guess I mis-understood what moderating was all about.

Peter
A male pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's flying, and about flying when he's with a woman.

Good feedback and some valid points here. Here's how I have changed the permissions:

- Guests will now be able to see the Incidents Forum in the forum list
- They will be able to view all the discussions that are in the forum (see what people are talkling about) but will be required to log in to access and read a thread.

This will ensure people who want to learn will be aware of the forum and even know what is being discussed. If they want to read the posts or participate in the discussions they need to log in.
Safe swoops
Sangiro