quade

Ok, here's an idea.

Is there anyway you could come up with a style sheet that would make the Forums look like an Excel spreadsheet?

I'm thinking, this might be more workplace safe when the boss sneeks up behind you at work. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Haha!
Or have a link on every page to a old CNN.com page or something.

I remember old DOS games having a "Boss Key" that would pause the game and pop up some official looking cheesey spreadsheet.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

The only problem with that is you have to know the boss is behind you!

What I'm suggesting is a spreadsheet style layout that would just look like a report of some sort. That way if the boss sneeks up behind you, he won't even notice that you're goofing off. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

My personal fav:

On a windows based machine hit alt+spacebar+c.

You don't have to hit them all at once, you just have to hit them in order, with a little practice, you can have the windows closed and gone from site in a matter of a blink of an eye, literally. Just use your left hand to hit the keys. Keep a spreadsheet up behind the browser window and you don't even have to take your hands off the keyboard to hit it. Infact, you don't even have to take your hands away from "homerow." B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Something that would look like this?;)

Before getting your hopes up, that was created by editing the code of a DZcom page. I added quite a few of css-classes, a whole new style-sheet, and a couple of new background pictures. It wouldn't be an impossible task though...

I should go home. Looks like I've produced enough "perceived work" today...:)
Erno

excel_dropzone.gif

even a better idea is to make a program, some sort of a messenger, that would be minimized in a task bar, and changed color when new message arives... that would be great, because i'm questioning myself right at the moment if my boss is behind me B|
"George just lucky i guess!"

A little program in the taskbar that checks for new messages shouldnt be to complicated. It only has to send some http request to dz.com and check for new messages in the database. It will have to log in to keep track though, and we'll be getting even mor "too many connections"

Still, not a bad Idea :)

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

If sangiro will write some XML service pages (aka, a SDK) for DZ.com, I can put together an interface program that can look like a spreadsheet, or a newsreader, so it won't look like the web.

How about it?

I just need an XML page for each item:
o) List the forum names
o) List forum headers
o) Show thread data for a specific thread
o) Profile data

I can use the existing CGI and pass back the session cookie dz.com uses to post replies back up to the forums.

Messages can be handled even easier.... example below:

quade
Mmmmm
I like your calves.

Again, I can use the existing cgi to post message replies and new messages fairly easily.

How about it?

send email to [email protected]

I have some components in Borland Delphi that do this quite nicely.