rhys

Gld coast australia; Wind tunnel on the horizon.

Hi,

Reading through the latest Australian skydiver magazine, i see a full page Ad about a new tunnel in australia, in surfers paradise.

The ad is actually a compaetition to design a logo for the operation and they are offering at least $1000 of tunnel time for the winner.

The photographs used in the advertisement show a wind tunnel with 'IFly' logos clear to see and a large tunnel in an open area, that has no metal seams in the construction of the tunnel chamber itself. it looks like a large glass chalis made from 4 large curves sections of plexiglas joined by a transparent seam.

Quite exciting really!

Anyone have first hand news or knowledge of this operation?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Here's the website

Looks a little small. Probably great for smaller freeflying and belly groups. 4-way would be insanely tight in there, although you may be able to go higher where the tunnel is wider, and if my calculations are correct, it may still have enough power to sustain belly flight up there, but it'll still be kinda tight. Still, it's certainly a huge improvement over no tunnel at all and they've put it in a decent spot to capitalize on tourist traffic and the movie industry as well as a relative large local population in SE Queensland, so it's got a good chance of being a viable business.

$88 for 2 minutes ?? Are u for real?
How the hell can a bloomin tunnel cost more than a skydive per minute of freefall?
I emailed the guy and this is the response i got

Thanks for your enquiry. The project has suffered some set backs we hope to be open end next year. Have added your email to the Newsletter list and will update you with any significant progress.
Regards
Colin

In other words i doubt if this will be up and running within the next few years.

update on the aussie tunnel :

I recently spoke to the main man involved in the venture. He said they were expecting a Jan 2010 opening. Then the GFC hit, the shopping centre ( Chevron Renaissance) that the tunnel is planned for went into receivership and the 7 million investor cash they had lined up withdrew. So now they are waiting the the centre's new buyer to agree to the Tunnel in principle, then they have to get another 7 million from somewhere, they they have to get planning permission again and then they have to build it. So basically dont hold your hopes up.... it looks like its on hold for a long time. I pushed a liitle more for info and he said construction time would be 12 months at least from when all the above is met, so figure 2-3 years maybe.

On the brighter side, I pointed out the extremely high prices and he said thats only the tourist trap prices... and that those high prices would mean block time for skydivers would be " cheaper than the US Tunnels"

fingers crossed...

sounds pretty weak
ill believe it when construction starts :P

i think the one for Penrith is further along than the Qld one.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?