Zoso

How do I physically prep for tunnel camp?

I've paid my deposit for an Airspeed Tunnelcamp in Eloy (June 18-20). Of course I'm excited and want to do everything I can to get my money's worth.

I plan on doing cardio work and moderate weight training with stretching thrown in closer to camp time.
I guess my biggest concern is getting muscle soreness bad enough to spoil the training. Any advice would be appreciated, especially from people who have attended an Airspeed camp or one similar.

The camp includes 1 hour of tunnel time over 3 days with optional tunnel time in the evenings that I will probably go for.

My only pryor tunnel experience is 30 minutes at Flyaway Pigeon forge a few years ago.

Thanks!

For lots of belly flying I would also suggest sit ups in addition to yoga. You lower back is directly affected by the strength of your abs. If you have good abs and lower back muscles, you will be less sore in those areas. I find my back hurts after a good amt. of belly flying.

I'd say over all working out and getting into shape will do the trick. Stretch a ton before and after. I also take IcyHot or ThremaCare patches just in case ;) Advil helps too.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I agree that being in good overall physical shape makes it easier to survive multiple tunnel sessions in a day. LOTS of stretching also helps.
I tend to fly the tunnel in bulk because I live so far from a tunnel. I take 200 mg Advil before a session and 200 mg after a session and that keeps me relatively pain free.
jenn
Tunnel Junkie Since November 2005! ;o)~
TPM #46
Paraclete XP TPM Delegate

I kind of am a tunnel addict now...

My first tunnel experience was in Perris. I purchased 30 minutes of coached time. Since no one else was flying mid-day, I was in for 2.5 minutes, then I would jump out and in 20 seconds get my debrief and jump back in. I played the VHS back... 36 minutes - 31 minutes of me flying, 5 minutes the rat... That means an average of 25 seconds resting between each 2.5 minute session... This is not normal for a tunnel - however my arms lost strength by about 25 minutes.

I have done two tunnel-4way camps where I have flown in the tunnel for 3 hours and skydived 24 times in 5 days... One Airspeed and one Perris. I recommend both.

And over the x-mas boogie this year, I spent 3.5 hours flying blocks with friends and Airspeed coaching in 3 days... 1 hour of actual flying time each day.

I am not that athletic when it comes to running down the road... I am not even that athletic when it comes to stretching... But I survived with pleanty of hydration and good spirit.

The only muscles that I have ever really, really, worn out, are the weird ones in my arms/chest that hold my arms down and head up when I fly... I think they are unique to skydivers, because they were muscles I did not know I had. So, anything that strengthens those muscles is good...

All that being said, I actually have hired a personal trainer and am going to be working out a few times a week with the trainer for the next few months in prep for my 4way team this year - to increase reaction time, to slim down a bit, and to work on underutilized muscles to basicily increase overall core strength...

If you really, really, really want to get your money's worth, I would show up a day early and do two things... 1) Maybe buy a few minutes of time before the camp and just get confident in the airflow... 2) Go in and just watch (free, which makes it priceless) people fly and learn what is expected of you. You will learn so much by watching different coaches show body position and drills to their students, so you are ready for your own session...

You will have fun, and I admire the fact you are working on getting ready now.

Gary,

Hi... the trampoline is NOT at the pool... although on a side note.. we did use a trampoline at a pool for gymnastics training once upon a time. How else could you feel secure about a back triple and being caught by some other girls???!!

On topic... trampoline can help you in alot of ways.. learning timing, layed out & tucked flips... simply learning how to take momentum & energy and turning it into a maneuver... as in the tunnel you should not be fighting the wind but allowing it to take you. With a trampoline you can learn maneuvers in a slower format... not rushing into anything and learning to balance your whole body.. it forces you to take the momentum and use it at once.. instead of trying when it's just not there...

pool.. I used a swimming pool early on to practice belly turns and back turns. When you are floating in the pool on your back or belly in a stable flying position.. similar arm & leg movements will generate the momentum to begin a turn... and when I flew I visualized moving the water with my hands and arms... really helps...also it's a great place to practice a basic head up arch... keeping your head out of the water and allowing your body to float... and then practicing turns... it will help you keep from dipping your shoulders which is a typical beginner thing and you will learn to keep them square and on heading.

gyro ... has no one here used a gyro?? I mean.. pilots use them, astronauts use them... and near as I can tell most of us Aeronauts use them too. Ever heard of the principles of Bioflight? Basically you'll be using pitch, yaw & roll, much like an airplane.. identifying these axis and learning to turn around them and on them. A gyro can do just that.. while many people get in and let the ride operater spin you.. I do not. I have learned to use my 3 axis to propel the gyro practicing rolls, spins, turns and flips.... it will teach you to follow through with one maneuver before transitioning to the next and it will also teach you that your transitions can be fluid and not forced. The momentum again will take you through to each maneuver. Not to mention that it is great practice & training for your vestibular system. It teaches you that one maneuver must be complete before the next.. also teaching timing, flow & balance. And how to take the energy from one and blend it into the next. Crucial skills to a good tunnelrat

well... I'll leave it at that... most of you are probably thinking.. wow she IS way out there:o but that's ok.. us carnies like it that way;):P