dsiegel

What happened at Chicago?

Is this what you're talking about? (I don't think she was a student)
This from http://www.skydivenet.com/fatalities/fatalities_us_01.html
Description: Best guess is that this jumper deployed extremely low, and then had her CYPRES-fired reserve entangle with her snivelling/malfunctioned main. She managed a cutaway somewhere below 250', but it failed to improve the situation. The prior weekend, she had been chastised for pulling too low, and otherwise taking too many chances. She was jumping a Safire 130-ish, at a wing-loading of around 1.1 lb/ft^2.
Lessons: It would appear this jumper may simply not have respected the risks inherent in skydiving, and eventually they caught up with her.

She was a student, but not a skydiving student - she was a college student, I think she had around 50 jumps. She was working at SDC, I think in the deli or in manifest, and was jumping on her day off. The details of what happened are really sketchy, there doesn't seem to be much good info on it, but I think Barry's guess is probably correct. I would say that if you find yourself really low, like 1500 feet, and you haven't pulled yet, go straight for the reserve. From what I understand she was a great person to be around and will be missed very much. It's always hard when we lose someone from our skydiving family.
Hackey

This is a late post, but another lesson is to ALWAYS find your jumping partner upon landing. I hate to admit how long she was left (I didn't jump with her!!). You need to locate all those in your group as soon as you have landed! This wouldn't have changed the outcome of this jump, but several hours is NOT acceptable to realize that someone is missing!>:(
Be Safe!
"Son, you've got a panty on yer head!"
Billy

This is a late post, but another lesson is to ALWAYS find your jumping partner upon landing. I hate to admit how long she was left (I didn't jump with her!!). You need to locate all those in your group as soon as you have landed! This wouldn't have changed the outcome of this jump, but several hours is NOT acceptable to realize that someone is missing!

I would have to agree whole heartedly. I landed off Saturday on my first jump and when I downed my canopy it went into a mesquite tree, so it took me 15 or 20 minutes to get it loose. The people who jumped with me started getting worried. when they saw me they were all like what happened (I thought they were over reacting but what if I had broken my leg and was losing blood and they just let it go) now what if someone is jumping alone who will notice if their missing?
JG

"what if someone is jumping alone who will notice if their missing?"
At a good DZ manifest accounts for jumpers. To watch out for yourself always have a jump buddy! You dont have to jump with them. Just get someone on the load to look for you on the ground and vice versa. It's an easy thing that could save your life!
"Gonna need...some cream for ya ass"-Chef/South Park
Clay

At a good DZ manifest accounts for jumpers. To watch out for yourself always have a jump buddy! You dont have to jump with them. Just get someone on the load to look for you on the ground and vice versa. It's an easy thing that could save your life!

Well, at a DZ running multiple turbines, manifest has their hands busy without having to keep track of the jumpers that have landed.. Whenever I see somebody land off, I always tell manifest how many, who(if I know), and where immediately after getting on the ground..
Not long ago, an entire 4 way I was on landed off.. We may have been able to make it back, but if we got close and couldn't make it, we were severely limiting our outs due to the area around the DZ.. We elected to land in the safe off field area.. We hadn't been on the ground for 5 minutes when somebody from the DZ pulled up.. One of the tandem videographers saw us land off, and notified manifest immediately upon landing.. That made me feel damn good..
A sharp videographer recently saved somebody's life when he reported an out landing immediately after he got on the ground.. The jumper was seriously injured, and in a pretty hidden area, and may not have been found for a long time.. Thanks to the videographer who saw him land off, he is alive.. ALWAYS NOTIFY MANIFEST IF YOU KNOW SOMEBODY LANDED OFF!
Mike

It was Sat, not Sun.. I was one of the first few people on scene.. Not a pretty sight.. I'm sure you either saw it on the news or read it in the paper.. 2 broken legs(compound on the left, outside about halfway between knee and thigh), broken jaw, and broken nose.. He got lucky..
Mike

>Well, at a DZ running multiple turbines, manifest has their hands busy without having to keep track of the
>jumpers that have landed..
Yes, and this is especially true at a place like Quincy. When I organize I try to get everyone to check back in after they land, since it's next to impossible to watch to see where everyone lands. It has proven to be tough, because people pack elsewhere, meet their friends etc and take a long time to return.
-bill von

But I'm sorry. I don't believe that anyone should jump and not have someone look out for them! Especially the solos. I try to make it known to as many people on the plane if I am a solo, and to look for me when we land. It isn't hard. It means safety first, and how else is there to jump than safety first? Looking for a person.
Not too tough. If manifest can't handle it, and I jump at a DZ where they probably can't (no judgement, it's really busy!) then just keep an eye out for other jumpers, First, your partners, and second, the solos.
Is that too tough?
"Son, you've got a panty on yer head!"
Billy

This has been a really interesting conversation.
A someone who can only solo at the moment (stil working for that "A" - perhaps tomorrow), I am generally last out, or just before the students. And because I am not terribly great at spotting, I will not hesitate to ask the pilot to go 'round. As a result, I tend to be either last or near last to the ground.
When I am on the ground, I do make it a point to scan for people I know to be jumping. I also look for freebags and mains floating in the breeze, or someone landing way off. I have not hesitated to point it out to the S&TA if he's around, or one of the many staffers who walk around. I wonder if there are people who do that for me, and I don't know it? I figure that's likely, because that's the mentality at our DZ. There are lots of eyes on the sky.
Thanks again for the excellent reminder for us who do, and good suggestion for those who don't.
Ciels-
Michele
"What of the dreams that never die? Turn to your left at the end of the sky".
~e e cummings~

I wonder if there are people who do that for me, and I don't know it? I figure that's likely, because that's the mentality at our DZ. There are lots of eyes on the sky.

I think this is the case at most DZ's.. Everytime I get on the ground, I pay attention to who is landing and who I see in the packing area.. I think that most people do the same.. Not long ago, I did a solo jump at a dz I frequent.. I wanted to be first out since everybody else was pulling at 3.5k or higher, and I was pulling at around 2.5k.. Everybody was cool with that, so I went out first.. When I landed, a friend of mine was there on her lunch hour, and wanted to go to lunch.. She didn't have long, so was in a bit of a hurry.. I dropped my rig in the corner of the packing hangar, and we headed out.. About 20 minutes later, my cell phone rings....it's manifest wanting to know where I was.. When several people noticed that I was nowhere to be found, they asked manifest if they saw me.. They looked up my info, which has my cell phone number on it, and called to see if I answered.. I then realized that I was on my way out of the DZ before half the load was on the ground.. I was definitely glad to hear somebody was watching out for me, though..
Mike

so was in a bit of a hurry.. I dropped my rig in the corner of the packing hangar, and we headed out.. About 20 minutes later, my cell phone rings....it's manifest wanting to know where I was..

I must admit, this is a bit better than I ever expected to hear, but how hard was it to do? SummerFest, or Quincy, or any other really big boogie is the exception--you NEED a partner. But any other time? Look out for each other. This family lives because we look out for each other. We SHOULD make sure everyone makes it "home" safe.:)Love,
Billy
"Light a candle for the sinners---Set the world on fire!"
Marilyn Manson