mountainman

Live water training...

Hey all!! I am asking all mid-west (ohio/indiana/whatever) area jumpers if your DZ is going to be offering any live water training in the near future. Laura and I are planning on doing a beach jump next spring, but we need to have B license requirements and that involves live water training.
If you know of anything, PLEASE let me know!! Thank you!!:)--------------
Drop on in...leave a message

The mid-west is not the best place to readily find water training. I live in Kansas and have been calling DZ's around here for the past year trying to find someone who is doing water training. Believe me, it is not easy. That is why I have over 600 jumps and an A license. Good luck.
Paul Eriksmoen
A-35500

I just recently did my live water training at Skydive Illinois in Morris, near SDC, at a local hotel swimming pool. I'm not sure when they will offer it again, but you can call them at 800-freefall to find out. I'm sure SDC offers it frequently also, maybe you could email Roger at [email protected] to find out.
Hackey

Also, how long does H2O training take?? Just wondering so I know how feasable this will be.

It all depends on the instructor.. My water training lasted about 3 hours - but mine was taught by an ex navy rescue swimmer.. He taught us a hell of a lot more than the minimum required.. Other than just water landings, he taught us extended water survival, rescue techniques(in case you go in the water to save somebody that has landed there), etc.. I have taken SCUBA rescue diver training, and I still learned quite a bit from this guy.. I've seen it take as little as 10 minutes.. I jump near water(ocean, lakes, rivers, and swamps) so I want to know everything I can be taught..
Mike

I just called SDC for ya and they said the guy is not there today but she thinks the next one is in September. I can try tomorrow for you.

That would be awesome, slow!! I'll surely keep my eye on this thread for what you find out. Thanks again!!

My water training lasted about 3 hours ...I've seen it take as little as 10 minutes

I want to learn enough to be safe, but since we dont jump anywhere near water, I dont think that 3 hrs is necessary. However, if the trainer wants to, I'll surely listen to everything he wants to teach. Can't be TOO careful. :)--------------
Drop on in...leave a message

SDC has a pond, so when they do the water training, that's where they do it. Glenn is the S&TA and he usually runs it. If I'm not mistaken, he just did water training last month. But if there is enough interest, I'm sure he would do it again before the summer is over. At least he doesn't need to rent out a pool, but he still needs to coordinate staff and such, and he charges a small fee for that. Call him or email him- I'm sure he'll give you all the details and let you know when he is planning the next training.
After a short briefing, what they usually do is have you put on an old harness, jump off the deck into the pond, and throw a large canopy over you. The object is to get out from under the canopy and out of the harness before you drown. At least they don't make you do it in your own gear!
For the beach jumps, also work on your accuracy, and you will probably need a flotation device for your rig.

mountainman,
call up aerohio,in rittman ohio. they helped me out and should have another class here in the fall or early spring. they go to a pool near akron and it only cost like $10. they hooked me up when i asked em about it. great bunch of people at that dz!!!!!

"if dreams are like movies, then memories are like films about ghosts"-counting crows

After talking to Glen at SDC I found out that there is no planned live water training in the works but he wants to do one in September. All he could tell me is to keep an eye on their web site. www.skydivechicago.com. Hope that helps buddy.
Peace

CHris
"..and your hands and knees felt cold and wet on the grass beneth." - modest mouse

Quantum Leap in Sullivan MO offers water training every labor day and memorial day weekend. I believe they offer it on saturday evening at a hotel pool. They didn't charge a fee, and had pizza and beer. Side note they have an Otter and on every load during Labor and Memorial weekend an experienced jumper wins a free jump. 1-800-stl-jump
Good Luck

I want to be jumping in the cold too. It'll beat skiing!!

Hell yeah!! Do you know how dangerous that is??:D I'll stick to hurling myself out of a plane at 13,000ft above the ground than going 40mph across the ground into a tree!! I bought a snowboard last season and I'm not too sure its going to see that much action this Winter. I'm scared:S;)
CHris
" Thanks, you're special " - My brother talking to the Wendy's employee