base698

New L1 Tunnel in NC

Just visited the L1 today and did approximately 15 minutes. I have about 5 hours in Skyventure which was dedicated to back flying, sit flying and a little headdown. Overall I was very impressed with the L1. It felt very strong for belly and back flying. I used 3 different suits, Ouragan, Standard Freefly, one of their tunnel suits, for flying over the course of my 15 minutes and my friend used a standard belly suit with no booties. I saw someone using a bootie suit and did the mantis so that can be done as well. I think having 4 people in there, unless they are at the top of their game would be difficult, because when you fall off the column you lose time. Seeing airspeed in there would be a trip.

As for differences to Skyventure, the lack of walls makes it difficult to see where you are. I think this will end up being a very large benefit, because if you can sit still without references then you're doing well. I would hold my heading back flying and in the course of turning I'd slide off the air column.

This brings us to the next topic of the air column. It is SOLID. It feels the same all the way around and as high up as 20 ft. I saw John Suiter go up at least 30-40 ft, and I've heard he hit the 70 ft mark. The air feels the same at any portion in the column. The ability to do this coupled with mountains in your view make a really awesome flight. No tunnel can come close to competing with that.

One other disadvantage to frequent Skyventure people is the entry and exit is a little awkward given the net is sort of like a trampoline. Being able to kick off the net isn't possible here. That is also a sort of advantage because you have to fly off the net in freeflying mode.

All in all I think Skyventure will have a run for its money when this gets full-time status. I think the people buying Skyventure tunnels should probably have checked this one out first.

PS you don't need ear plugs. If I was working there I'd probably wear them though :)

PSS I was also only flying on 50-60% power max.

hhmmm....another open tunnel...not able to be used in inclement weather, which is regualr in NC...and difficult to do four way in....there are MANY improvements that need to be made to the Skyventure tunnels. Believe me. But this one will not be used for training in any significant way. Tourist will not know the difference and will use it.
I'm curious what it cost? Anyone know. It DOES have an awesome view...

not able to be used in inclement weather,

Why not? It blows the rain away :)
When I made mention of it being difficult it was in reference to the lack of walls. It requires changes in how you train and approach tunnels, but it seems like it will be more than feasible once you get used to it.

Prices are $100 for 10 minutes and scales up from there, so an hour will cost you $600.

I flew in 30 degree weather for a half hour, exposed face, normal suit... full face helmets for some will be great (and are available), but honestly, because your so active, you hardly notice the cold.. and unless you spend a half hour by yourself.. the cold weather is hardly an issue.

And we flew through the last hurricane.. pouring rain... nothing noticable on the suits or helmet camera.. so it doesn't pick up and blow the water at you at all.

edited to add picture...oops
WOO-HOO......
Scotty and I just spent some time with Dawn and John at the Tunnel.
This was my FIRST time flying in one (yes I said first). I dont have anything to compare it to but it was KICK-ASS! Scotty thought I would have a hard time cause I never flew in one but he (they) said I did fine! Scotty attributed my success to very CLEAN Air. The air seemed very clean to me (a tunnel novice) :S. I was nervous about sliding out but it seemed like there was a TON of room and forgiveness in there. It was also very - very quiet. John was able to coach "talk" to me from inside.;)
Cant wait to get back and Fly some more.
Thanks for the great time!!!
<>
Scotty and Tami

AWWW MAN, I love this place. Pam surprised me with 30 minutes for my birthday. Dawn and John both were very professional, and I learned a LOT in the short time I was there... it was awesome!

The only other tunnel I've been in was in Pigeon Forge TN, and the L1 tunnel was WAY better than that. The air is clean, there was no turbulance, just a big round wall of smooth air. And, once I figured out that I have actually just been falling for the past 120 jumps instead of "flying" I did just fine... I think. One thing nobody else mentioned is how incredibly quiet it is, I could actually hear John talking to me most of the time. I'd reccomend it to anyone, recreational or for training purposes, and I'm sure I'll be going back.

Blues,
Merrick

According to the web site for this tunnel, individual flights are not available; you have to have a group to reserve a 30 or 60 min block. Does anyone know the minimum number of people that is considered a "group" for a 30 min slot?

Blue ones,
Don

According to the web site for this tunnel, individual flights are not available; you have to have a group to reserve a 30 or 60 min block. Does anyone know the minimum number of people that is considered a "group" for a 30 min slot?

Blue ones,
Don

One person can purchase a 30 minute block for themselves... Single Flights refer to a walkup "3 minute flights" like a whuffo might want.
When one person purchases that much time, they don't usually want to do it all at once, a break can be provided at your request. You can use the contact information on the website to ask questions directly.

Have fun!

Thanks for the clarification. I asked here because I thought the information could also be useful to others who are browsing the web site. I'm pretty excited by this tunnel as it is only 3 hrs from where I live, much closer than Orlando. We have a new skydiving club at the University of Georgia and I'm sure we'll have a group to make a visit soon.

Don

Well Adren-L-N is going to have the best of both world, a tunnel with wall and with out. That is right the first multi-leveled L-1 facility will be opening in Houston. If you are in the area and need a flying fix just check out their temporary mobile unit off of Beltway 8 and 288. Good day for a flight.

Whaz up guy and girls- from Shoon. :ph34r:

When hell freezes over :) I'm just starting in Chemical Engineering for grad school, I have to do well in the core classes first. I haven't jumped in over two months. I have put everything into real world stuff as of late. When I'm making bling bling in about 4 years I'll consider it :)