TommyBotten

How to write a decent DZ brief.

I've been tasked with writing a series of DZ brief/instructions for a set of smaller/cessna dropzones around Norway.

The brief is primarily targeted at licensed jumpers and should prepare them as much as a possible before arriving at the DZ. So far I've written a bit about the following:

• Landing area with alternatives

• Aircraft type and information

• Landing patterns

• Diagrams of the landing area and area around

What else is relevant?

Does anyone have any resources related to this, or perhaps even examples from your home DZs? I am especially interested in seeing how high performance landings are handled.

My work so far is available for reference on evilspurv.net/fallskjerm/DZbriefforRakkestad.pdf

Loading order.
Manifest procedures and policies (is a ticket refunded if the pilot decides not to let the load out?)
Known turbulence issues (If the wind is out of a particular direction, is there any "normal" landing area that should be avoided?)
Packing area policies (is there an area that is reserved for tandems/students/instructors/paid packers? Are there rules for food/drinks in the packing area?)

I'll probably come up with more later, but that's what I can think of right now.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I usually take them for a walk around the landing area, pointing our fences and landmarks and wind socks.
While we are in the landing area, I point out key turning points for the landing pattern based on today's winds. I also point out the jump run (always west at Pitt Meadows).
As for alternate landing areas, I say sure you can land there if you are willing to let the airport manager scream at you for awhile, you can land on this side of the fence as long as you are willing to buy a case every of beer every time you land on the wrong side of the fence, you can land in the middle of the airport as long as you are willing to wait for permission from the control tower before you walk across runways, etc.

Exit order.
Aircraft Lights, signals, and procedures for spotting and exit.
Specific DZ personnel. S&TA, Loaders, Packers and packing areas.
Swoop areas.
Local turbulence patterns.
Other aircraft patterns and habits.
First Aid equipment locations and emergency reporting procedures.
Just off the top my head:)