rezz92

Starting Over

Brief history, jumped in 1978 at Louisburg, NC. S/L Progression(12 jumps total ). Joined Uncle Sams Army, now retired and looking to begin jumping again.What would be the best way to begin again? Raeford NC is about 40 miles away with an AFF Program or should I take a week or two and go to Deland and do the wind tunnel thing combined with there AFF Program. I am more interested in sound fundamentals rather than quick completion of the program. Thanks.......

The Deland version with wind tunnel and an AFF Program combined is probably the best bet. On one side you can learn a good arch and box position in the wind tunnel as well as the different moves without the stress of the freefall (yes I say stress, because let's be realistic senses overload occurred to all of us when we first jumped out of an airplane).
So you get the extra airtime with the tunnel and get to work on the canopy after you already have a good feel about yourself in the air. Plus it's warmer around this time of the year in Florida than in NC.
Fact is, the faster you feel secure in the air and hold a steady position while falling you can start focusing on other things.
So get your air training in the tunnel and your canopy skills on the DZ.
Good luck and enjoy and come back and let us know how it went.
Blue ones
Phil

I'm not sure how soon you want to buy gear and such, but if you go to Deland, you will be very close to almost all of the gear manufactorers and will be able to demo a lot if you stay there long enough. Also, when you are done in Deland, I recommend you get ahold of SkyMonkeyONE from here and talk to him about Raeford. Also, once you have tried out some gear, get ahold of SkyKat gearstore in Raeford. They are one of THE best.
Good luck man!!!
-------------
http://www.JumpinDuo.com
"oh no. Not another one"-Alienangel

Welcome back! What took you so long?
I agree. Do FL w/tunnel. You'll come up to speed faster and with more confidence instead of trying to figure it out on your own after getting off student status.
B| Gemini
... Fear? Fear is riding the plane down ...

Yea.. gotta do the Wind tunnel, and get all the latest gear...
and a cypres
and a pro track... oops.. sorry, need 2 of those
and a full face
and this
and that....
pssssst: if you have too much money, I'll take some!
My point: you should get very good instruction locally, wether AFF or S/L (unless Raeford doesnt offer S/L). I would recommend AFF, but S/L is still as valid as it was back then.
The biggest deal to learn in AFF/PFF isnt the boxman position (lots of time on the ground in the position will do wonders): its awareness. I seriously doubt that tunnel time would help that. Yes, 15 minutes in a tunnel will help to teach the boxman, but so would 3 x 10 minutes each day for a week in the position on a bean bag .... and thats a lot cheaper...
I wouldn't worry about gear purchase until you are pretty much done with the Student thing...
Also, DO NOT demo equipment untill you are ready to do so. There is a reason why students jump student-gear...
Remi
Muff 914

Rezz,
contrary to what you might have heard from RSS at Raeford, there are three student training vendors jumping there. As you said you were retired military, you are therefore authorized to jump with both the Green Beret and 82nd freefall activities; both of which offer SL instruction, as well as AFF and tandem progression. By the way, Lousiburg (Carolina Sky Sports) is still there and is one of the busiest dropzones on the East Coast. They do all the training methods there too, but generally push AFF.
As far as all this discussion about flying or driving all the way to Florida to skydive, I wouldn't advise that unless you are mister money bags. While the wind tunnel in Orlando is an outstanding tool which I wish everyone had the opportunity to exploit, I am not sure if I would mortgage the house just to get to it. By the way all you others out there: it's 80 degrees and severe clear today here in North Carolina. It really doesn't get cold here till January or February; then it only sneaks down to the 40's for a bit. Still, it is not uncommon to have 70 degree days during those two months.
Anyway, if you would like a more "local" hookup, just send me a private message or drop me an E-mail. I have been jumping at Raeford since 1984 and teach at the GB club.
Chuck Blue
D-12501
My webpage HERE

IMHO the best way to resume jumping is to do 2 or 3 static-line jumps to get comfortable under a square parachute, then do the AFF program.
AFF is a great way to learn freefall skills, but some people find it tough to concentrate on steering a parachute after 30 seconds of freefall-induced sensory overload.

As you said you were retired military, you are therefore authorized to jump with both the Green Beret and 82nd freefall activities

How does this work? Does it apply to retired only or all veterans?
B| Gemini
... Fear? Fear is riding the plane down ...

"How does this work?"
Anyone with a military ID card of any type (active duty, retired, dependent,guard/reserve) is authorized to jump with the clubs. It falls under MWR...
Yeah!! What Chuck said! Raeford is the POOP! and you'll never run into a better bunch of people or get better prices on training and gear than the GB club.
"and I'm not easily impressed...Ooohh look...a blue car!" -Homer Simpson

I am one of the first people to recommend someone visit the wind tunnel if they have a chance, but if you are staying in NC I would go through training at that location. It gives you a chance to build a relationship with the the instructors and dropzone personnel. I like the fact that when I was starting out I knew I would be seeing those people on a regular basis. I also felt more comfortable asking them to give me a gear check when just coming off student status, asking them a question about gear or a problem I might be experiencing in the air. Just another thing to think about.

Thanks to every one for their thoughts and opinions. It sounds as if I cannot really go wrong either way. There are merits to both plans. No, I am not mister money bags.lol.. Just ready to do some of the things I wasn't able to earlier in my life. I am glad to here that Louisburg is still in operation. When I was there it was a dirt strip and a soybean patch. I did not even hit the soy beans with that t-10, found an out in the grass. Unfortunatly it was kudzu--- up to my neck. LOL Thanks again, I will be in touch. Rick..........

Oh......to put the wind tunnel issue to rest. It seems Chuck has a job working in the finest wind tunnel in the world. Occasionally he can even sneak in some students from the club. Hasn't happened in a while but you never know.....
"and I'm not easily impressed...Ooohh look...a blue car!" -Homer Simpson

Welcome back, I too started jumping back in the 70's. I made about 300 jumps back then and hung it up. I tried to be a good parent for about 20 years. I had to give up both rodeoing and skydiving. I'm too old to rodeo now but it sure feels great to be back skydiving again. Maybe I'm going through my second childhood or something. I'm just glad there's a sport that an old fart can still participate in. And there's nothing else like skydiving. I come home pumped up for days after making a few jumps with my friends. I don't know much about wind tunnels, but I'd like to try one sometime.