stratostar

Questions about AFF instruction

The acronym is HARM, and many thoughtless instructors teach it that way.

Mark, why do you think that? (BTW, I have no particular preference.)

My observation:

Instructor (to student in FJC): "Remember HARM: heading, altitude, reserve, main."
Student (in freefall): < thinking: there's an word. . . injury? hurt? maim? broken leg? >

Teaching acronyms requires a student to remember that there is an applicable acronym, remember which one it is, decode it correctly, then take action, all as he or she is really thinking with a different part of the brain than was used in ground training.

Mark

Teaching acronyms requires a student to remember that there is an applicable acronym, remember which one it is, decode it correctly, then take action, all as he or she is really thinking with a different part of the brain than was used in ground training.

Good point, and I feel about the same way. I try to avoid acronyms. I just tell them to relax, check their altimeter, and check with each of their instructors (if 2 are used.)

Unfortunately, there is an unending flow of acronyms, created by people who are eager to create something "new", whether or not it is an improvement.

"2.How do you teach COA's & short circles?

On a Cat A? Exit, take a breath, heading, altimeter, reserve side, main side. "

Interesting!
That is the reverse direction of old-school AFF/PFF.

What is the logic behind the change?

Not sure if this was addressed yet....didnt read page 3....

But the logic is since the student is already looking left at his altimeter, just continue left to reserve side instructor....No point is the student looking left at alti, right at main side then left again at reserve..
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

But the logic is since the student is already looking left at his altimeter, just continue left to reserve side instructor....No point is the student looking left at alti, right at main side then left again at reserve..

Yes. That's the reason we call it a Circle of Awareness...eyes flowing in a circle.

Would I say anything to a student for checking main side first? Nope.
Would I say anything to him for not checking with JM at all? Only lightly. We can put the signals out there where he can see them anyway without him having to look at us. The key would be whether or not he was responding to the signals.
Would I say anything to him for not checking his altitude. Youbetchya.

I also agree with the idea to limit the use of acronyms with students. In the case of COA, you can teach them the actions without mentioning HARM...or even COA for that matter.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

5. Students must ALSO decide by 2500' whether or not they will make it back to their planned landing area, or if they must pick an alternate landing area (I know the SIM says 2000', but I try not to confuse my students with more altitudes; I teach them to make a decision on both their canopy criteria and landing area by the same altitude).

Students must ALSO decide by 2500' whether or not they will make it back to their planned landing area, or if they must pick an alternate landing area... ...I teach them to make a decision on both their canopy criteria and landing area by the same altitude

And by your "rule" above - which provides for a fixed altitude now for this - how is it you suggest to them that they determine whether or not it is, they are gonna make it back?

Also, how would that vary (or would it) in the following example scenarios:

Their 1st post-canopy-open alt check (after having completed their controlability check) & heading now towards their (presumably also pre-assigned) holding area, is...

1. 4,000ft.

2. 3,500ft.

3. 3,000ft.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

And by your "rule" above - which provides for a fixed altitude now for this - how is it you suggest to them that they determine whether or not it is, they are gonna make it back?

Also, how would that vary (or would it) in the following example scenarios:

Their 1st post-canopy-open alt check (after having completed their controlability check) & heading now towards their (presumably also pre-assigned) holding area, is...

1. 4,000ft.

2. 3,500ft.

3. 3,000ft.

Here's what the SIM says:

e. If it is obvious that the 1,000-foot point [of your landing pattern] is unreachable:

(1) Look for your 600-foot and 300-foot points.

(2) If you are sure that you will be able to reach one of those points, fly toward it and remain over that point until you reach the correct altitude to begin that leg of your pattern.

(3) If it is obvious that you will not reach any point in your pattern by the correct altitude, then plan to land in a nearby open area, free of obstacles.

I teach my students the "half way down, half way back" rule. So, for example, they are at 4,000ft: check altitude, check position (looking down between your legs), locate your 1000ft point, and find a halfway point in between. Continuously check for traffic, altitude, and position. If you reach or pass that halfway point by, in this case, 2,500ft (halfway "down" between 4000ft and 1000ft), continue as planned. If not, pick an alternate landing area.