Liemberg

There is always worse...

A couple of days ago a few of you were willing to chew lawyerwebb an extra one when he had a not-so-smart hickup with the right order of the handles.

When you visited youtube on that occasion, did you guys see this ???

Ought to be in the TI's course material IMO...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

The first link in the chain was the type of exit, the second link was not waiting to have control before tossing the drogue, the third link was the videographer fling into to help. While the videographer had the best intentions, he caused tandem instructor to have to wait until he(vidographer) left so they could deploy the reserve.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

heres a ? from a newbee . if you were the video guy and you had a hook knife would you hook it when you knew you couldnt clear it.

There's not even a remote chance that i as a vidiot would get involved, the TI has the necessary training to do what he has to and i would possibly make it even worse.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Sorry cuz, repost.

the video was new to me. If it has been discussed here at DZ.com before, be so kind as to put up a link where that discussion is to find.
Actually, when you think of three people losing their life on a previous occasion when the camguy came to the rescue AND footage I have seen on TV where a camguy successfully rescued a tandempair it is nice to know that there is (?) a plan AND that everybody is on the same page - I would not want any heroics from MY camguy, should I screw up like that.

And of course, as another TI says in his sig line "Using your drogue to gain stability" is not smart...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Yes,

Steve West was the first TI to die in Canada (late 1980s). He broke a main closing loop on the step and was unable to clear the mess.
Newspapers called the videographer a "hero" for flying in and trying to save them by deploying his main too low.
I suspect the real story is that the videographer got sucked into the mess. He quickly ran out of altitude and ideas.
I have never heard a Tandem Examiner plan on being "saved" by a videographer. Most prefer that videographers stay off to the side for the entire skydive.

As has been already stated, a series of problems occurred to allow this to happen. Had one of them not occurred, perhaps the chain could have been broken and changed it. Luckily it turned out well. I witnessed a similar event w/ the bridle being wrapped around the students foot. The instructor went head down and it came off. Uneventful jump after that. A little creative editing and it's still a secret. If you do enuff tandems, something weird will occur. Hopefully, you can learn from it and get better from the experience.

the cameraman was Kelvin Brundrett

years and years ago..
rather early in the history of tandem....
an entanglement was sort of "new" and set procedures, had never been considered or discussed, as we do, today...

That was a terrible loss. and having met Kelvin, i really feel like his instincts simply kicked in, and he was doing his best to save steve, and the student...

their tragedy became a lesson for others, as it sparked the discussion about JUST what a camera person should or should NOT do...

best approach,,, good gear checks,, diligent packing, and care when moving around in an aircraft, and during climbout...

BSBD to that trio...

[:/]:(
jt

Steve West died in Ontario, Canada in the late 1980s.
He was jumping a Vector from a Cessna.
He broke the main closing loop or dislodged the main closing pin while on the step of the airplane.
Kevin took a dramatic photo of Steve stepping off the airplane with bag and a mess of lines in tow, but the drogue still in the pouch.
Steve never cleared the mess and died on impact.

We (the tandem industry) learned two valuable lessons from Steve.
One: poised exits from Cessnas are way too difficult and dangerous.
Secondly: main closing loops need to be far stronger than the 300 pound nylon that was in fashion. Strong Enterprises eventually standardized on two closing loops, each made of 1500 pound Spectra suspension line.