ceandries

Students that do dumb things

[I think you just made Andrew's point for him.

The above should have been the speech that the OP gave to the student (with some changes to the relavent nouns), not the one about bowling

No, the point is Andrew was giving him the "bowling speech" for giving the "bowling speech".
Neither one deserved it.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

This thread should be stupid things instructors have done[;)
]

now that would be a thread that would go on forever
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

Thanks, Bill.

And I bet you're sorry you started this thread.

yep. I'll think about that next time I feel like starting a thread at 1am.

I realize I sounded like a jackass.
I won't try to defend my actions but I will argue this: Yes, I do think a pine tree would be a much safer than turning low and landing downwind into a parking lot full of vehicles with little room for error, especially when the ground speed towards the tree is near zero. Students are taught how to safely land in trees and they review the procedure every day before jumping. I'm sure others will agree with me on this.

well I would like to say that students are taught to land in trees but I don't think there is anything safe about it!!!!!!!! IMO

Yes low turns are dangerous but if I had a choice I would land in a parking lot over a tree any day. Down wind or not .If it was really that windy the student should not be in the sky at all.
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

I do think a pine tree would be a much safer than turning low and landing downwind into a parking lot full of vehicles with little room for error, especially when the ground speed towards the tree is near zero. Students are taught how to safely land in trees and they review the procedure every day before jumping.

Students are taught how to SAFELY land in pine trees? Well then, guess I'll have to start teaching students to aim for the trees...[:/] (being facetious)[:/]
Houz about teaching braked approach flat turns for evasive actions low to the ground and PLF's? And when students have a hiccup, which all will have in some form or fashion, then houz about positive reinforcement rather than admonishment.

Here is an unsolicited suggestion:
If you want to be an instructor, I mean a good instructor perhaps you might consider less thought and vocal output and more knowledge input, then experience will come with time. You are going to be amazed what you start realizing and learning about this sport after a couple thousand more jumps and a few more years working with students.
You seem to have the drive and passion which is commendable, what you lack is that which cannot be bought and there is no substitute for; experience...
Hang in there...

There have been a lot of good comments by really experienced skydivers in this thread, thought provoking and educational – the collective genius shines on!

I'm sure others will agree with me on this.

Any takers?
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I'm curious why everyone seems to be ignoring the OP's description of the student's attitude after landing. From what he said it sounds like the student didn't take what he did seriously, and just kind of brushed it off.

I'm not saying one mistake should put you on the bench forever, but if you won't even take heed that what you did was dangerous, and proceed to laugh it off-- well I think that's another story, and might warrant some time off.

If I ever responded like that to one of the many mistakes I made as a student, I wouldn't be surprised when someone told me to get my shit straight. I think its important to be able to take criticism/coaching when you're new to anything, especially skydiving.