livendive

What are your goals as a skydiving instructor?

I'm not referring to any individual jump, as I assume at least most of us hope to provide our student a positive, safe(ish), educational experience. I'm curious more about broad-based views along the lines of, "I am a skydiving instructor because I want to ....".

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I want to make this sport as safe as possible, by working with students and grooming safer skydivers from jump number one onward. It's purely self preservation, really... I've seen too many jumpers that scare the shit out of me in the sky, just want to keep my odds of being taken out by someone acting stupid to a minimum :P

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

"I am a skydiving instructor because I want to ....".

...get rich and be famous. :D

Seriously - I am a skydiving instructor because I want to be a part of as many students introduction to this sport as possible. There's nothing quite like the look on a student's face when they land from a good skydive; it's really cool to be a part of that. And it is an incredible feeling to jump with someone who is struggling with a category and see them finally "get it." :)
They also keep me excited about skydiving. I just can't be around people who are that stoked to be in the air and not be stoked about jumping myself.

It's also damn cool to geek my boyfriend over the student's back. :ph34r:

There's nothing quite like the look on a student's face when they land from a good skydive; it's really cool to be a part of that. And it is an incredible feeling to jump with someone who is struggling with a category and see them finally "get it." :)

I want to make this sport as safe as possible, by working with students and grooming safer skydivers from jump number one onward. It's purely self preservation, really...

the two primary motivators for me, as well.
"The look" is priceless, and I'd like to help others become more safe, therefore preserving my ownself.
Learning, experiencing, and paying it forward...'s what makes most things worthwhile...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I am a skydiving instructor because I want to ....".

Eat.

:D

I started skydiving in general, as a career. My first jumpo was on the NZ Skydiving school.

My intention has always been to make money, inadvertantly I developed a love for the sport and a passion to fulfull the expectations (within reason) of each customer I have.

Skydiving is a great job, passtime and passion. I really don't know what I would do without it now!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I have been greatly disappointed by what some "Instructors" have shared with me recently. Sad that some do not understand what it means to be a professional.....and that when you are paid to do something, it is your job to do it.

But we are all skydivers right? BSBD

I dislocated my shoulder skiing and I am having surgery this Thursday. My goal is aggressive rehab and getting back in the air by summer.

I have been a rated instructor for over twenty years so this would be my first summer missed since 1987 if I don't reach my goal.

If all goes well I should be jumping by June-July.
Onward and Upward!

1. A safe skydive for us both
2. A fun skydive for us both and
3. Maybe we each learn a little.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy