Skydivesg

A little help from TIs please

I'd like to know what different TIs use as reminders for there gear checks and hookup checks. Do you hook up your students in any particular order? do you use any acronyms?

You know things like checking your 3s etc.
As a pilot I verbally say GUMPST before take off and landing. Stuff like that.

Thanks in advance.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I just use a flow. After I tighten up I review the jump with my passenger, check the four attachments, tighten the chest strap, loosen the belly band, check the leg straps, the student handle, the instructor handle, the cutaway, the reserve handle, and finally my drogue.

I do a gear check out loud for the student while touching each component and verifying that what I'm saying is true.

"Alright, quick safety check here
We've got 1-2-3-4 points of connection,
I've got 1-2-3-4-5-6 handles accessible to me.
You've got properly routed legstraps, belly strap, and chest strap.
Our seat belt is off.
We're all hooked up and ready to go."

Since I started doing this, I've caught myself with a seatbelt on once or twice and have had to pause to secure the RSL velcro/crystal ball a few times. Each time, my own body doesn't let me say the words until my hands have corrected the issue. I don't know if it's the greatest routine in the world, but it has become an absolute must for me regardless.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

over 1400 tandems....I use the same flow for all....seat belt off, lower laterals hooked, Handles check, 6000 feet...review jump with student, handles check....Hook up just prior to jump run...Top right, top left...tighten laterals, handles check....Show student safety check...top right hooked, top left hooked....right lateral hooked and tightened, left lateral hooked and tightened, 6 handles on the system, drouge in place, primary RC in place, secondary RC in place, all 3 emergency handles in place( yes Vector system and the RSL ball is considered an emergency handle).....WE ARE READY TO SKYDIVE!!....that system and speech has worked for over 1400 students.

I check all five handles and four attachment points, and 3 rings at least 3 times, doing the handles in order of use, of course. After that triple check, I know I'm ready to skydive. I think an important thing is to not be distracted during your checks. Do each one as if you've never done it before. Look at what you're seeing. :)

As others are noting, repitition and flow. I do the same flow each Tandem and it works to keep my head focused to the task at hand. It might be slightly adjusted based on airplane or student size but the basic flow covering the important points is used each time.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

As the others have said I use the same routine as the one I learned in the course.

I will say one thing: Do not get on the plane needing to make student harness adjustments, you can check and adjust as needed of course but you should be ready to jump before you get on the plane. My reason for this-how much time do you have in an emergency? Do not take any of it up trying to properly adjust the harness, start off the flight that way.

If you find the student shifted while looking out the window or what ever, fine adjust by shifting or even just tugging to ensure your happy, but not making whole sale adjustments.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

will say one thing: Do not get on the plane needing to make student harness adjustments,

can't be said often enough. even in the aftermath of the two tandemfatalities (remember: pax falling out of improperly adjusted harnesses) there are still "instructors" out there who act otherwise
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

I'd like to know what different TIs use as reminders for there gear checks and hookup checks. Do you hook up your students in any particular order? do you use any acronyms?

I use a "flow" but no acronyms. One key point to my flow is to "do the most important things first". That means the 4 attachment points before the ripcord. It is more difficult to do that way but I don't care.

Student head gear and goggles are taken care of much in advance of the hookup so that I can concentrate on the hookup.

Having said that, many years ago when small Cessnas were the main aircraft, I waited until 8000-9000 to connect anything because was the student was often not in front of me, but with larger aircraft and bench seats, most of us connect the "lowers" after removing seatbelts, or at an altitude we would be willing to exit, and this makes sense.

Routine.

Always doing the same thing in the same order. That way what ever happen around you, you will react like you always train yourself to do. Exactly like emergency procedure.

Here we are 12 TI and we do all the same briefing, same procedure in the plane, at exit and under canopy. It is not more restrictive for my instructors and it doesn't take them more time to do it. In fact I think it's easyer, quicker and for sure safer.

We all have to understand that we don't do that for us but for our custommers and they deserve the best. But on the other side we are all skydivers who whant to have fun in our sport.

Having TI following a strict safety routine doesn't mean they can't offer something different or personnal while still having a lot of fun.

That's the way I think.

Richard
When you think you're good...this is when you become dangerous.