JohnRich

Tandem Master question: Cutaway

Per the Vector manual:
Min main deployment is 4000ft
Min reseve initiation is 2500ft

So cutaway no later than 3k....

(manual says initiation not deployment of reserve by 2500)

I've always thought that 2500' seemed to be kind of pushing the envelope up against the 1900' cypres fire. Has anyone here ever sniveled/stalled a tandem reserve into an AAD fire?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

[Has anyone here ever sniveled/stalled a tandem reserve into an AAD fire? ]

If your reserve is sniveling, how can an AAD fire? The reserve is already out of the container, right?

How does the AAD know your reserve is out of the container?

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

e. Has anyone here ever sniveled/stalled a tandem reserve into an AAD fire?

Yes, one of my coworkers has done that. Had a biplane or downplane, I can't remember.

I think not...

You guys aren't serious are you?

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Okay, the tandem main was pdeployed low, it sniveled, the AAD fired the reserve into it. Now, is that clear?

I wasn't really sure what that first question was asking/wondering about/alluding to reserve AAD snivel fire.:P

I was asking if a chop at 2500' could result in an AAD fire regardless of whether the reserve has already been deployed by the RSL or handle. The other two guys' responses suggested than an AAD couldn't fire if the reserve has already been deployed by other means, which, if true, would suggest there's something about AADs that I'm dramatically misinformed on.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

e. Has anyone here ever sniveled/stalled a tandem reserve into an AAD fire?

Yes, one of my coworkers has done that. Had a biplane or downplane, I can't remember.

I think not...

You guys aren't serious are you?

Don't confuse me with the guy who said the AAD wouldn't fire.

I'm saying that sniveling/stalling a reserve through firing altitude is not going to result in a 2-out, at least not because of the AAD firing.

Alright, cool...we're all on the same page with regard to how an AAD works. I guess my point was that, given how slow tandem reserves can open, is a 600 ft cushion between cutaway altitude and AAD fire sufficient to minimize the frequent purchase of new cutters? I'm guessing Booth and Strong and Cloth took this into consideration at some point, it's just not a discussion I've ever had and I'm wondering about real life experiences. Meh, I suppose it's not that big of a deal.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

I usually get scared below 3000ft since between 3000 and 2000 one might end up "between canopies".

That seems like a bad plan.

So there you go - 3000ft.

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

John Rich.

3000 feet is a common limit for low speed malfunctions on a reserve. Cutaway before 3000 feet!
If you have a baglock try to cutaway as soon as possible, there is the potential that the 3 rings will take some time to release if you are in a belly to earth position.