Rover

Linetwists on Tandems

A spin off from another thread about linetwists but am wandering about techniques to getting out of linetwists with tandems. Had a nasty incident a week or so ago that took some time to remedy.
How can the passenger help? Anyone had to chop because of linetwists? Which canopies more prone to linetwists? What do you do?
Blue skies.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

I had one on an older Icarus. We were twisted half way up (at least it seemed that way) I think I figured 16 twist. IMHO the passenger helps the most by staying still. Mine was trying to help me untwist and he was only making things worse. After only getting out of half of them by 2500, I chopped.

steveOrino

That is one of the things I dispise about the Icarus tandem mains. Since they're in full flight its really hard to get linetwists kicked out. I've found that twisting the risers to get the momentum started followed by some hard kicks while pulling the risers will get you out of most of them. Without the twistings of the risers first its really hard to fix it.

With the other tandem mains (and reserves) I've had linetwists on, it wasn't too big of a deal, just a pain in the ass more then anything. Well, a really large pain in the ass. Really really large.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

On a similar topic, has anybody had linetwists on tandems down the risers and to the harness?

I have a piercing in the nape of my neck and was told by another TI that I should take it out before linetwists did... (we were both doing tandems at the time so I presume he meant with a tandem rig on)

That being said, I also fly stiletto 107's and have 1 chop on them b/c of twists.... had a couple other twists... never was it down into the risers nor near my neck...

Thoughts, opinions?!

That is one of the things I dispise about the Icarus tandem mains. Since they're in full flight its really hard to get linetwists kicked out.

Hmm... I never had linetwists on a tandem, so I can`t really speak about them.
But somewhere I read that especially on icarus mains, because they open in full flight, it is easier getting out of linetwists by just making you (and the passenger) big on the side you want to turn to.
I guess the theory behind is that the increased drag on that side will generate the momentum.

And then there was a post here that stated you can untwist on an icarus tandem by using the toggles.

opinions?
alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de

First, a simple utilization of the SEARCH function will yield a wealth of information on this already extensively discussed topic.

Second, 4000 jumps on icarus tandem mains and have had to cut away line twists ONCE. Don't worry about kicking (initially). Grab the risers, turn them together in the direction of the twists. This moves them down into the risers and allows the canopy to spread out more. The line twists in most cases will then promptly unwind themselves. If this does not work, commence kicking / scissoring ones feet / panicking or whatever method you deem appropriate until your hard deck.

I have about 1500 tandems on Icarus mains. The only times I've ever had line twists enough that it was an issue at all was when for whatever reason we dropped a shoulder on opening and snapped into the twists, I'd guess that I have leas than 5 of these. I do not like the feeling of being under an open flying canopy and still twisting up. I open at 5,500' so I have the time, and generally just hang out and wait for gravity to untwist us.

Anyway, 1,500 tandems to date, and zero malfunctions.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

I am jumping icarus tandem mains too.

Though turns of more than 180 degrees are not uncommon on these canopies, I have had relaively few linetwists.

The best way to get out of linetwists is to try your best, not to get into them.

One method I used to use was to touch the back of my risers on opening and try to go with the turn and this worked most of the time, but recently I have been informed of a technique that is easier and more effective;

When the canopy starts to inflate unevenly, simply curl your legs back as if you are doing a hard (positive;)) arch and the lines will/should not twist.

I havn't had a linetwist since I have been doing this (3 or so months) and have been averaging about 100 jumps a month.

I guess it has something to do with the amount of tention on the lines??

I actually enjoy the Icarus openings, only 'very' really do they bang open. Unlike other tandem mains I have jumped.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I've cut away 1 icarus 360 due to line twists and a really wide passenger. I've been told that pulling the right toggle will sometimes work if you don't have too many. I just kick, will try twisting the risers too next time.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream