txjuju

Instructor loyalty

So my home DZ closed a few months back and I headed to gain employment at the next DZ down the road -- they treat me good but now my home DZ (The only place I can consider home) is reopening bigger and better.

The problem is I don't want to burn any bridges but I really want to go home - its closer, and more fun.

How do you leave a DZ to go to another keeping the option to return later if needed.

I feel by leaving I will be unloyal to the DZ that allowed me to work there -- but I must go

Thanks

Honor your commitents. All they can ask and expect from you is for you to keep your word on any contracts/agreements. just my 2 cents.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Having DZ's that are close enough to compete, and working at both is unfortunatly a tough thing sometimes, when it comes to choosing which one to stay loyal to.
Unfortunatly DZO's or DZM's can be as understanding as a kindergardener, when it comes to where people jump and who you spend you hard earned money with. [:/]
If your roots are at the DZ that is reopening, and it's closer to home, meaning less time to get to as well as less of a drive, then your choice is an easy one.
On the other hand, if you have asked the DZO, that you are at now, for a slot on the DZ's Instructor board, and he is counting on you to be there for his students, keep your commitment with him until he can find someone to replace you.
Have an honest talk with them about the reopening drop zone thats closer to your home, and that you'd like to have less of a drive when you go to work.
If they are muture enough to understand your situation they should have no problem with you going back, and have no hard feelings when and if you should jump return to there again.
If you are making a living in the sport, try not to burn bridges, so you can have the choice to jump or work anywhere you want. But dont get bent when the DZ say's they have no work for you should the DZ close again.
Hope this helps.

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Definitely agree with body pilot.
If you have a contract with the guys you are working for now then honor that and then explain with as much notice as you can give them about the situation of wanting to go back to the old dz.

In most forms of employment as long as you are reasonable with the employer they don't have a problem with you leaving or doing something else.

Nothing pisses people off more than those who are unreliable or just leave at the drop of a hat.
It is a little bit of "do unto others" here.

Then again SOME dz's can treat you like shit so they shouldn't be surprised when thats what comes back at them!!!

BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

Ditto to what everyone else has told you.
You might also want to think about spliting your month up two weekends at one and two weekends at the other.
Closed down not long ago, how do you know they will not close soon again?
As for more fun at one, your the one that makes your own fun, and you never know you might meet more people and find more friends by spliting your weekends, besides sometimes it is good to get away and have break from the dz politicking.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I'll echo what everybody else has said and then add a bit.

First, chat with the DZO you are now working with about your interest in helping the other DZ. Give him notice and an opportunity to replace you. Offer to swing by and help out later if he has a busy weekend.

The skydiving industry is pretty small, and most DZ's don't hate each other. In general, we get along, and most DZO's understand that helping good student programs at other DZ's makes the pie bigger, and that's good for everybody. Given your position at both DZ's, you are in a great position to make and maintain a bridge between the two businesses.

So, select one as your home DZ, but make an effort to visit the other once in a while, as long as there isn't bad blood between the two, and you are up front with both DZO's.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

so what sort of contracts/commitments do instructors make with a DZ? I thought you guys were living under the most independent of contractor relationships, with virtually all the power in the hands of the DZO.

(I've been burned too many times by these clients in a different industry - and I'm talking about Fortune 100 companys like WellsFargo and Visa, not small businesses doing a million or two in revenues. The notion of commitment in the working world is pretty fucking one sided. I'm not playing 'fair' anymore.)

But yeah, if you bail on the DZ, you probably will burn that bridge, and from the DZO's perspective, why should he feel any differently?

Juju
come home brother, the beer is cold, the PAC 750 nice, and its all the same people having as much fun as we did before (just doing it 20 minutes quicker....i'll leave that one open).

Take care of your commitments, let them know you want to move, develop a mutually agreeable timeline, and when you can nicely break contact---move back up the road. If that fails, tell them you are having a sex change and need time off...

Besides - do you really want to miss Woody's 3 foot skin-removing "swoops" ????

Weaves

In my "hobby job" of concert lighting, I work in an industry that is as equally as small and political, and sometimes as immature;) as skydiving.

I have successfully worked for all three of the arch-rivals in our state, maintaining a good relationship with each, with each knowing I am helping their competition succeed too.

I tell them all my rules of engagement are:

1) First come, first serve. If I commit to a show, I will not bail for a better show. That means, if I book one day for company A, and the other company wants to send me to Vegas for a week (6X more money) - I am not going to bail on who I committed to first.

2) I never share information about each company to the others. They get comfort when they see me not giving information to them, so they assume I am holding their information secret too.

3) I am always honest about who and where I am working.

4) I do the best job I can so all three want to hire me over someone else.

5) I never "move" or "refer" business from one company to another... Their customers are safe with me.

I echo what everyone else said, especially with giving as much notice as possible, and explaining that it is an economic decision with the distance to your house... I would change the "more fun" to "all my long time friends are there"...

The reality is that in any industry you probably would not be hired back there again unless you were really needed. Shortage of Instructors

You came to company B because company A closed. You go back to Company A when it reopens. If A closes again, why would B take you back knowing full well that you'll leave again if A reopens.

Do your best to leave on good terms, but don't expect anything if you want to come back again.
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

Loyalty to a DZ. It's an interesting subject. I'm always amazed how DZOs want to pay instructors as 1099 contractors, and treat them as 1099 contractors, but don't expect them to contract for anyone else.

That's kinda the point of contracting. You don't have a permanent job, so you take work wherever, whenever and however you can get it. Even if it's the competition. If DZOs don't like that, then they should pay instructors as employees.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

If DZOs don't like that, then they should pay instructors as employees.

The problem with that is as an employee they would be required to have workman's comp insurance but to my knowledge you can't get workman's comp insurance for skydiving.

If you can, it would be extremely expensive.
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

Dropzones don't need your loyalty because there are always hundreds of more instructors just waiting to work.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Then the DZO has to decide how high he wants to pick from the food chain.
He can chose enthusiastic amateurs who will work for free.
He can hire sluts who work cheap (beer and pizza are usually sufficient).
He can hire whores how will work to his rules.
... or he can hire call girls who provide discrete, top-of-the-line service.

If DZOs want your loyalty, they can BUY your loyalty with dental plans, medical insurance, discounts on new gear, etc

You forgot to add,
and pay the going rate for the work done instead of taking half for doing you the favor of letting you work for them.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

If DZOs want your loyalty, they can BUY your loyalty with dental plans, medical insurance, discounts on new gear, etc.

Sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference. A "Thank You" once in a while would be nice.

VIRTUS JUNXIT MORS NON SEPARABIT