scoobyd00

Anybody ever tried a tandem Mr.Bill?

Anybody know if this has been done? Experienced jumper wears tandem harness backwards then puts on own sport rig. Jumper is connected to TI so they are facing each other. After deployment, they disconnect tandem harness and jumper goes back into freefall.
#1: Has this been done
#2: What do you see as being safety concerns

(ii) Uses the harness position prescribed by the manufacturer of the tandem parachute equipment.

This is from FAR 105.45

NO manufacture covers the use of the approved harness with the use of a sport rig.

I guess this stunt could be a FAR violation in the States.
Memento Audere Semper

(ii) Uses the harness position prescribed by the manufacturer of the tandem parachute equipment.

This is from FAR 105.45

NO manufacture covers the use of the approved harness with the use of a sport rig.

I guess this stunt could be a FAR violation in the States.

In all of the federal regs I work with, the definitions are key to determining applicability, e.g.:

Parachutist means a person who intends to exit an aircraft while in flight using a single-harness, dual parachute system to descend to the surface.

Parachutist in command means the person responsible fro [sic] the operation and safety of a tandem parachute operation.

Passenger parachutist means a person who boards an aircraft, acting as other than the parachutist in command of a tandem parachute operation, with the intent of existing the aircraft while in-flight using the forward harness of a dual harness tandem parachute system to descend to the surface.

Tandem parachute operation: means a parachute operation in which more than one person simultaneously uses the same tandem parachute system while descending to the surface from an aircraft in flight.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I've done a handful of jumps similar to this...but it was with a XX and the second jumper wore a harness under their own rig. The second jumpers extra harness was connected to the first jumper via the risers to the legstraps on the harness of the XX, the two of us would launch a cat and the first jumper would pull right out the door. Would fly around for a while, then cut away from under the first jumper and open our own main.

We did it till we lost stability once and pulled after a 7-8 second delay...blew up the canopy. I was fortunate enough to be filming that one instead of riding on it...ouch!
Miami

But...is this in violation of the FAR or not?

Did you see my post? Unless there's an intent to descend to the surface using the tandem system, it's not a "tandem parachute operation."

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

So I can hook up one of my buddies with his BASE rig on top of the tandem harness, unhook the guy, let him jump at 500'. Can I relly do this leglaly?

There is no intention to descent to the surface using the tandem and he is not jumping from an aircraft with a single prachute system because he is hooked to me.

Am I reading this right?
Memento Audere Semper

Just as easy to use normal gear rather than a tandem. Actually used a BT PRO SERIES 120 with myself and a friend and opened and flew around fine before he said bye bye.

Was a rather interesting wing loading as we both weighed about 78 kilos and the toggle movement was nothing to severe turn from around 1-2 inches.

Definitely something that was fun at the time - would not be in too much of a hurry to repeat it though!

I have done quite a few more Mr Bills using the clubs student gear, rigs around 270 square feet. These have all worked fine and been fun thus far although it has been a while since I have done it!!

BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

Doing this would not be a Mr. Bill

A Mr. Bill intitles you to be flicked off like a booger with blood shed most of the time.

Doing it your way would just be too easy!!!!!!!

I agree with Voodew1, this takes the fun out of it and if no one gets bloodied or bruised in the event then it doesn't count!

Chris
--------
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy s#$* what a ride!'"

#2: What do you see as being safety concerns

Did one with a really good friend. When he threw the pilot chute it began to orbit our legs tying them together...... We looked at each other at the same time and screamed WE'RE GONNA DIE!!!!

That was my first and last Mr. Bill... Its funny to talk about it now (cause we can cause we are still alive), but at the time it was one scary ride.

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!