AMax

Quick question to TI's

I plan to visit a friend who wants to make his first tandem jump at local DZ. The problem is that he recently broke his wrist and still wears a brace. When I contacted a DZ, a person at manifest told me that it will be up to instructor to make a decision whether or not he can make a skydive, but I could not talk to any local TI since it was a week day.
So the question is whould you take a person with broken wrist up for a tandem jump?

ed to spell

Thanks,
Anton

I would take him, but make him take off the brace! B|

That's exactly what I suggested but he did not like the idea ;)

That is the worst advice I have heard yet. The brace is there to protect him in the event of another trauma, no matter how small.

We were just joking about the brace. Of course I would NOT advice to do something like that for real

It depends on how his injury is being treated. Does he have a cast? If so, how big? (You don't want fiberglass or plaster club waving around in freefall) Has he had surgery and pins set in? If so, how long ago?

Those are the basic questions I would start with. Also, he could just wait.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I don't think it is very serious. He didn't have a surgery and there is no pins. I think they plan to take it off in near future, but obviously he will still need to wear it this weekend. Waiting is a good idea. I was just afraid it will not hapen if i don't go with him.

I would take him, but make him take off the brace! B|

That's exactly what I suggested but he did not like the idea ;)

That is the worst advice I have heard yet. The brace is there to protect him in the event of another trauma, no matter how small.

What Amax said, I was kidding thats what the B| was for, sorry you misunderstood me :(

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

The conservative answer is to tell him to wait until his wrist has healed enough to do push-ups, play tennis, etc.

On the other hand ... I have taken several tandem students with weak arms. I just tell them to cross their arms before we get to the door and use their good arm to hold their weak arm tightly against their chest.
Under canopy I do all the steering.

july 96 I was schedualed to make my first tandem jump. 4 days before jumping I had a work related injury, I took a spike in my hand /wrist.
it hurt like hell and I almost backed out of jumping. I bought a small brace and wrapped it like a linebacker. it still was very painful until the door opened, when I landed I had no clue until I high 5' d my buddy.
never have been called a genius!
adrenaline is a wonderful drug.
I haven't stopped jumping since then.
stay safe,
Jimoke
The ground always, remembers where you are!

Does he have a cast? If so, how big? (You don't want fiberglass or plaster club waving around in freefall)

A quote from the original post.

The problem is that he recently broke his wrist and still wears a brace.

No he doesn't have a cast.:S

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals