Krip

DZ nicknames

Ok counting myself and one other that came before I heard rumors about, that makes 3 Lurchs I've heard of. How the heck did this happen?

I got mine from old Charlie Burgess at Pepperell. When I first started as a student I was what I suppose you could call a leftover Goth kid before there even WERE goth kids. Screw the makeup, piercings and fishnets those modern posers display- I dressed all in black, wore shredded leather, black jeans and shirts and carried more razor blades knives tools and junk in my pockets than most people have in their cars. Plus I wasn't exactly social, I get the impression most people thought I was too scary to even speak to. So one of my instructors called me Lurch and it stuck.
Anyway after a couple years of jumping and associating with other jumpers, the influence of the community sort of rubbed off on me. Its hard to stay permanently depressed when you're part of a community of clowns dressed in bright colors.
So one day I decided I was sick of looking like a funeral being held in a garage so I went and got a nice bright blue tie dye shirt and nobody recognized me for a half hour.
Tom Noonan finally did and said "Whoa! Its Lurch Lite, all the gloom, half the calories!
Haven't laughed that hard in ages. Now I have a vast collection of extremely bright tie-dye courtesy of Bethy, who is just plain awesome.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

I'm terrible with names, and I think I have Alpheimers. (Yep, I'm a terrible speller too). But I do recall some nick-names from the early 70's in Montana...

Jock LaStrap....was a colorful, crazy Canadian. His name was Jaque something. I think he may still jump at Lost Prairie.

Ferd....Fred Sands once wore that nick-name. He and Tousey were the first Montanians to break the 1,000 jump mark, for Montana.

Tom T-bow....jumped a thunderbow canopy at Kalispell.

Fuzzy....was Rich's nickname. He was later busted for dope, and spent some time in the big house.

The Shadow....was my nick-name for a while. I had a black jump suit, and was kind of quiet (to the point of being wierd). Bob Murray painted that on my helmet one day, and I was stuck with it....

Total....was a girl who was so weak, that she couldn't pull her ripcord, and even had a heck of a time with her reserve. She never quit jumping though....she just got an easier rig to open.

Pig Pen....I never did get that name figured out. Maybe somebody from Kalispell can remember.

Sully....I think his last name was Sullivan. He later burned in at Athol, Idaho. A malfunction, too low to the ground. His cut-away didn't work.

Stinky....had a long last name. It started with Stein...something. Stinky was easier to remember. Stinky is one of my favorite people from the past....an all around good guy.

I wish I could remember....there were so many other nick names....

Here's a few from the old Zhills crew.
Grimsley
Rumpson
Lurch
Foggy
Tuna
Moriarity
Partner
Peanuts
Goose

Joe Dog
Eagle

I Need some help my mind just fogged up......

Hi lodestar

I can relte to tour foggy mind, at my age, I have more brain farts/ day that I can shake a stick at and those are the only ones I;m aware off.

Was the oustanding video dude Pink floyd a nickmane related to his consist ability to discharge a unforgetable stinky pink cloud thought the whole casa?

We stopped by the tunnel in Tukwilla.wa on the way home yesterday, becasuse my boss wanted to stop by a woodworking store next door,

So we visited the new tunnel. it was late in the day, and there were actually some jumpers waiting in the lobby to use the tunnel.

I introuduced my self with out my name but when compared DZ's and boggies they finaly figured out I was't a poser..

When thet asked my name. I gave them my DZ/govt DZ name and It was instant recall.B| We all stated lauging.B|

Thats a Kick ass DZ name that even though folks can't place the face they can still remember the DZ name,B|. I didn't bother asking their names since I wouldn't remember them anyway. and would probably never see them again:)
Enjoy the thread, I can still smell pink floyd and and would like to forget that partB| But remember his great pics and video's:)
R.

Pink was at Z-Hills during Turkey boogie he shot video for Van Break on 10-way

How about Captain Fun aka Chris Moore?
I had been jumping with Rabbit (a true asshole) for a couple years and we went to Lake Wales for 10-way one year around Christmas. Well they ask me for everyone's name. "Rabbit we don't have a waiver on file for anyone named Rabbit" :D

edited to add: I am glad Pink did not live up to his name last November as I was sitting right next to him in the Otter all day.

You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Cactus Crotch...

I wasn´t going to say that one Tiger, since she died fairly recently.....I saw her at a POPs meet in Switzerland that I called in on a few years ago, she was driving everybody crazy even then as well.

How about Bigfoots name for Cavaick?..... "The Sunday roast"....Ì just had to laugh when I first heard him say that, sick as it was.....

So where did "Tiger" come from?. I never did get that...
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

How about Bigfoots name for Cavaick?..... "The Sunday roast"....Ì just had to laugh when I first heard him say that, sick as it was.....

Don't forget about "The Dwarf" as he was part of that combo.

As for Tiger, had that since I was 6 moths old - no skydiving connection at all.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

Pilot and skydiver. Engine failure in a crop duster, almost put it down safely, but at the end of the crash landing went down a gully where the plane caught fire, and he was severely burned. Somehow he got out and survived.....

Most of his face and head is scar tissue....but he retained his sense of humour...
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Sparky, an experienced jumper who landed off of the DZ and hit a power line. The line broke and landed on him while he was lying on his back. He instinctively grabbed the line and threw it off of his chest. It reactivated about the time it hit the ground and started sparking and jumping around. Lucky would also have been appropriate as well.
The USPA insurance ended up paying big time since the power outage screwed up several local businesses.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

Back in the 80s there was a Dallas area jumper they called "couch". He got that name after his fairly new rig was stolen and to insure that never happened again he ordered a replacement rig that included the most god awful earthtone plaid container. Someone mentioned it looked like a worn out couch from the 50s and the name stuck.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.