hcsvader

Oldest Parachute club?

Question this. Bill started there in the '80s.

I don't remember the operation prior to his moving there.
Plus, it's not a club.

madjohn

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.

Hi jumps,

Bill started "The Parachute Center" in Utah in 1964,

His partner at the time was Dick Simon; who went on to own Simon Trucking ( a small skunk is their trademark and I occasionally see one of his trucks on the Interstates ) and then into Indy car racing. Dick Simon has competed in the Indy 500 many times; I have no idea what his best finish was.

They hosted the '64 US Nationals at their Alta, UT dz.

When Bill moved west, Dick dropped out & stayed in Utah, going on to more expensive things.

JerryBaumchen

Hi jumps,

Bill started "The Parachute Center" in Utah in 1964,

His partner at the time was Dick Simon; who went on to own Simon Trucking ( a small skunk is their trademark and I occasionally see one of his trucks on the Interstates ) and then into Indy car racing. Dick Simon has competed in the Indy 500 many times; I have no idea what his best finish was.

They hosted the '64 US Nationals at their Alta, UT dz.

When Bill moved west, Dick dropped out & stayed in Utah, going on to more expensive things.

JerryBaumchen

Wow, how cool. I grew up in Indianapolis watching Dick Simon race. I always wondered if he had anything to do with Dick Simon trucking and had no idea he was a jumper/DZO!
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

What about the California Parachute Club?

http://www.crocuta.com/CPC/index.html

It no longer has a club DZ at Livermore CA but I think a few old timers like Bill Stanley and Kent Walker keep the club alive and jump at Lodi. I made my first parachute jump at the Cal Club DZ in 1968 out of Perry Stevens' Aeronca Sedan, appropriately called "The Rat".

It was a real pleasure to run into a bunch of the old Cal Club jumpers at WFFC in Quincy and Rantoul. Bill Stanley and Alan Silver were there and had been my jumpmasters at Livermore when I was a student.

The Cal Club was founded in founded in 1956 by Deke Sonnichsen.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

The LA Latin Club will be holding a party at Elsinore on September 17th for their 50th. My brother and I jumped with the LA Latin club and the AZ Rebels many times in the 60's and 70's and I look forward to jumping with both clubs at Eslinore this year.

I jumped out of the same plane 2 days after my 21st birthday, April 26th, 1969, had to wait because my parents wouldn't sign me off.

I thought my foot was going to punch through the floor.

madjohn

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.

To the Person who will concern,

I must report to your Person that some of the first Paraclubs are located near Moscow, Russian Federation, starting some of them as early as July 1930.

Hoping to have expanded your horizon
Juan Fraile-Nuez
Military Parachute Rigger (ret.)
Spain, Europe

Of course. As an example, The N.I.I. Chkalov, It is an experimentel Parachute Laboratory Test Center, where all new parachute systems are tested before enter in Active service with the Russian Air Force, very similar in operations to the French Centre de D´essais de Vol, in Tolousse.
Juan Fraile-Nuez
Spain, Europe

I must report to your Person that some of the first Paraclubs are located near Moscow, Russian Federation, starting some of them as early as July 1930.

One could also distinguish between purely civilian clubs, military or government facilities, and things such as civilian clubs organized and supported (in varying amounts) by the government.

In any case, there still was a lot of early jumping in the USSR.

Dear Sir,

I would wish to report to your Person that one of the oldest parachute clubs... ...All right, no military centers nor facilities... is the Dnepropetovsk Sport Aviation Club, founded on August 18th 1933, and still in operation.

Is it old, and civilian enough?

With all my due respect
Juan Fraile-Nuez
Spain, Europe