howardwhite

What is this canopy? #11

I think that's a Jerry Bird system (ca 1975 maybe?). Might be an ad, with Jerry Bird himself modeling...

That's based mainly on Thom Lyons' web page. I knew it was a Rip-off reserve with what looks like a block-cut main, so, well, Google was my friend :)
Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think that's a Jerry Bird system (ca 1975 maybe?). Might be an ad, with Jerry Bird himself modeling...

That's based mainly on Thom Lyons' web page. I knew it was a Rip-off reserve with what looks like a block-cut main, so, well, Google was my friend :)
Wendy W.

I would go with that. And with drjump that the name is (might be) a 26' Super Steerable. It looks too tall in profile to be a Tri-Con. I think the main container was called a Fastback?
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Well, some of you are kind of circling around the answer. When Bird was at Orange in '74, the Wings of Orange chose to jump rounds rather than PCs (or those new-fangled square things) so PI put together the Che-Po for them. I'm not sure who's in the picture -- could be Bird -- but it's a Bird reserve container for sure.
Here's what the catalog had to say about it.

HW

"...forward speed that will hold up to 18 mph."

!!!

Certainly don't mean it will hold IN 18 mph winds, implying 18 mph forward speed. I've never seen this language used before. More like 4 mph forward speed to get to 14 mph backwards? Any clue what the target backwards speed was?
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE