fonz

Opinions wanted

I jump a digitude and find it much easier to read. I will never go back to an analog system. I like it that much! Not saying I'll never use an Alti 2 or 3, just that I won't jump one if I have a digitude, and I won't buy anything else.

Different people's visual systems and brains work differently - there is no "right" answer to this question.
I find a digital read out easier to interpret "instantly", but then I'm an engineer and work with numbers a lot. However, the Digitude IMO has a poorly designed and weak case, and I do not choose to spend all that money on something so fragile.

That's ok Andy, we will assimilate you and include your distinctiveness into our own. We are Borg.[evil laugh]30 seconds[/evil laugh]

Doesn't your CRJ even use digital simluations of analog dials? Their still analog...
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

>Personally, I like the digitude because you know your exact altitude.
Uh, no, you don't, and that's one of the big drawbacks of the digitude. I almost failed the AFF-JCC because mine read 400 feet high when I was docked and my hand was facing a certain way. You are tempted to believe it is more accurate because it's digital, and because it reads out to the hundreds (some to the tens) of feet. However, it uses exactly the same type of sensor as an analog altimeter (barometric) and does not have anti-spoofing SW, so the accuracy is no better than a good analog alti. In some cases it is actually worse, because it responds to "glitches" (burbles) more quickly than an analog alti.
-bill von

My opinion:
Digital is easier to read exactly what it is trying to tell you 4,100 from 4,000 ft (Bill already explained how accurate it is). You have to really look at it and read it.
Analog is easier to read at a glance and get an idea +/- what altitude you are at.
What would be cool is to have a combination digital/analog altimeter like they have some instruments (and altimeters) in aircraft, analog for when you need to know general info (top part half of skydive) and digital for when you want to know what it is reading exactly. A combo digital/analog altimter would probably cost more than twice tha amount of a digital or an anolog though.
Last thought, your eyes are your best altitude reference. I saw a video where the tandem I's altimeter stuck and the cypres fired. If you can't tell 4500 from 1900 ft or realized from looking down that you are very low.................
Hook

Why do race cars, aircraft, etc use analog displays for critcal information? It is easier to read quickly in an emergency situation! OK, I am sure there are exceptions, but for most people, analog displays are better. Do you want to bet someones life on an exception?
Does anyone have a digital altimeter over 20 years old that has never been maintained (includes battery changes) that still works. I have two analog ones that work! For students, give them analog ones. When they are off student status, let them buy what they want and give them the pros and cons.