piisfish

what's that from ?

Vector. Early 90's maybe.

That's it...
It's fairly new indeed... The rig had very few jumps, and the reserve was last packed 15 years ago...

It had 4 bungies in a pretty good shape after all that time.

The reserve PC jumped till bridle stretch when we pulled it, and the reserve opened like it had been packed the same day.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

They aren't safety stows. They're o-rings. Pre safety stow modification. Why would be for more secure locking stows. Four instead of two. But I'm not sure I ever saw this type of bag. I remember two oring bags, still have a couple not modified, but not 4 o ring bags. But I'm old and have forgotten alot.:S

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Tink1717 is right about it being a Vector freebag and Counsilman24 is correct about the "O" rings. These were used around 1984 to maybe 1987. The 4 safty stows started when, I think it was a Golden Knight that had a "bag strip" on a high speed malfunction.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

They aren't safety stows. They're o-rings. Pre safety stow modification. Why would be for more secure locking stows. Four instead of two. But I'm not sure I ever saw this type of bag. I remember two oring bags, still have a couple not modified, but not 4 o ring bags.

Now I'm going to have to bust out the rigger's copy of Pointers when I get to the DZ, I have to look this stuff up. Its really interesting.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

will try and take more pics, have it in my car...

don't know if the 4 o-rings have a relation with the size of the canopies. IIRC a Strong 300 or thereabout. (I don't have the rig or the reserve)

will try and take more pics, have it in my car...

don't know if the 4 o-rings have a relation with the size of the canopies. IIRC a Strong 300 or thereabout. (I don't have the rig or the reserve)

The 4 bite locking loops were used on the Relative Workshop freebags for a short time in the early to mid '80s. (Freebag, there's a misnomer if there ever was one) The Safty Stow replaced it, That's the elastic shock cord loop that we see today. The bag appears to be for a V-4 or 5. Measure across the top. If it's about 12", that's what it is. If it's about 14", then it's for a V-7, 8, or 9. It dosen't look long enough for a V-10.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

more pics

serial number + the "brand new" spring and PC...

can't imagine they are 17 years old

I have nothing to measure for the moment, but the freebag is about an inch wider than my MacBook

more pics

serial number + the "brand new" spring and PC...

can't imagine they are 17 years old

I have nothing to measure for the moment, but the freebag is about an inch wider than my MacBook

O.K. Now I'm confused. (Familier territory for me) The pilot chute is the "Ballute" pilot chute Bill Booth designed in about '87. The upside down spring and all F-111 (no mesh) was kind of radical but it did produce a steadier drag than the 1/2 mesh pilot chutes. (I got to make about 40 intentional cut-a-ways with Mike McCowan filming. One of the stills even made the USPA calendar, July of '87 I believe. Several good jump stories came out of that but they're for "Scary Stories From the Old Days")

The part that confuses me is that the bridle perminately attached to the pilot chute. I would have sworn that the 4 bite, O-ring freebags were no longer being produced at that time. In fact, I thought that by '91 the loop on the bridle was large enough so it could be larksheaded onto the pilot chute. If the data stamp on the line stow pouch is not the same as the pilot chute, then it's a retrofit and would exjplain my confusion.

As for the width, I might have been off on the numbers because it sure looks like a Vector ii, V-4 or 5.
Louis D Brandeis