howardwhite

Where/when? #3

This time, I don't know.
These are from a huge box of mostly unlabeled pictures from the late Dick Barber, who was a frequent judge at Nationals and other big meets. So I'm kind of guessing they're at a Nationals, but I don't know where or when.
But certainly some of the planes are very familiar.

HW

looks like Baldwin Field, in Quincy.

From the lineup and the hangers I would bet that is one of, if not the first WFFC , at Quincy
My sun tent was set up just behind the line of DC-3s until we figured out everytime they fired up it was gonna blow away.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

The first successful 100 way was summer of 86. It was followed shortly thereafter by another larger formation built in the Chicago area. This was probably that assault. 120 way?

jon

This is definitely the first Quincy boogie. If you look at pic number 4 you will see behind "Hour" Douglas, to the right , the Terminal/restaurant. You will also see a huge group of folks standing there watching the skydivers.

bozo

The first successful 100 way was summer of 86. It was followed shortly thereafter by another larger formation built in the Chicago area. This was probably that assault. 120 way?

jon

The 120 way was built out of one C-130 that was brought in from South Africa. It was completed on 8/11/86 in Quincy.

jon

The 120 way was built out of one C-130 that was brought in from South Africa. It was completed on 8/11/86 in Quincy.

SAF-AIR.

bozo

Oh yeah, I forgot that. I remember feeling like it was... sort of cheating to be able to use the C-130 after all the effort put into the lead-up attempts with so many aircraft. I quit laying on my belly looking up the crotch in front of me after that initial 100 way.

jon

Yeah, the C130 was a unique jump ship.

You were handed your seatbelts outside of the aircraft, snapped them around you, then clipped into the floor.

After takeoff (less than 60 seconds) you unclipped, and passed your belts to the sides, where they were stowed against the walls,

It was really humid in Quincy that summer (any summer) and frosty air poured out of the air conditioning vents overhead.

One of the flight crew stood in a small cage right on the edge of the tailgate, not wearing a rig.
When we turned on jump run, he called out..."20 way" and the first of many group launched from the tailgate.
Then..."15 way"...a pause then "25 way"..."20 way"...on and on until the plane was empty.

I was on the first load it flew at the FBC, and that first jump run was a tad high on speed.
Leaving the gate you'd hit that void, then be hit with a a terrific wind blast.

There were so many jumpers on the line of flight, that when tracking away on that line, you may pass another jumper at a different altitude, going the other way!

BASE359
"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

Looks like Quincy in 88 or so. There was a 144 way diamond done there. They did have judges for that. Maybe?
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Yea, I got a couple jumps out of that 130 myself that year. I never landed that far out before or since!!!!

Yup...150 jumpers had to exit on a single pass.

But the locals that year were awesome about returning jumpers to the airport if they landed out....which happened a lot.

It was great! B|

BASE359
"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"