DavidB

Where & when?

A number of DZs have done variants on this theme -- $2 bills, circulated in the community and maybe with a skydiver stamp, to provide a reminder of the economic impact of skydivers.
I'm guessing this one came from deLand, but could have been lots of other places.

HW

Beginning with the 1975 or ’76 Turkey Meet/Easter Boogie, we began handing out change in $2 bills and silver dollars, emphasizing that they should be spent in town. Thus, when the Z’hills merchants tallied up at the end of each day, it was pretty obvious that skydivers were making an important contribution to their businesses. The chamber of commerce soon became one of our major supporters, which was particularly crucial in the wake of the infamous wet T-shirt contest, when a coucilman who doubled as a Baptist lay preacher was in the audience, checking on the mores of skydivers. It almost got us shut down. (The reports I got the next morning of the criteria used to select the winner left me with head in hands. There are times it just doesn't pay to pass responsibility to staff and go home for a few hours sleep.)

I have a vague recollection of the canopy stamp going on them during the 1st World Cup of CRW in 1978 (Jack Gregory or Cliff Dobson might have better memories of that).

As far as counterfeit bills, I doubt it. The difficulty of engraving a $2 bill is the same as engraving $20s, $50s or $100s, and there isn't much change to be had from one. And given the importance of anonymity, their rarity would mean anyone passing them would be more easily remembered. Seems the pizza place made a unilateral decision without checking with anyone. If they were counterfeit, the Feds would have been all over you like a fat lady.
Hoop

Ahhhh... I see, said the blind man.

This 2$ bill was, I believe, from the 1986 WSC in Quincey. I did spend more than a couple of them in town, but kept one for posterities sake.
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

I feel horrible for that poor Baptist Lay Preacher who suffered through such a disgusting display. I'm sure God is proud of his determination to root out evil in any venue.

He is probably in the front row down at the local strip club tonight trying to save some souls.

God Bless him.

Meux,
A certain delicacy precludes describing what went down. Let's say that the parameters used to judge the winner went somewhat beyond the traditional wet T-shirt. If that piques your curiosity, there are plenty of veterans of the era who were there who can enlighten you on the details.

Fortunately, Roger Nelson snapped some photos of the audience. And there was the preacher with a fixed, glazed expression that didn't indicate a bit of disapproval. You could almost see him hyperventilating.

Back story: I moved 3.5 years ago from a house we'd been living in since 1961. Just ran across this. Who else remembers?

That looks like a "Bender deuce" we adopted the tradition from him, except used a twin otter/skydiver stamp.

We used uncirculated $2's so they were crisp & sequentialy numbered. The Zhills locals loved them & were:)

(The reports I got the next morning of the criteria used to select the winner left me with head in hands. There are times it just doesn't pay to pass responsibility to staff and go home for a few hours sleep.)

Now I'll have to find someone who was there to finish the story!B|
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

(The reports I got the next morning of the criteria used to select the winner left me with head in hands. There are times it just doesn't pay to pass responsibility to staff and go home for a few hours sleep.)

Now I'll have to find someone who was there to finish the story!B|

Topics drifting, but:

I would question anyone’s memory who was there that night, as well as my own, but as I remember wet t-shirts had nothing to do in the judging criteria and beer and N2O (et al) probably played a role…

I went to that meet with a girl from Savannah who we called L* Hopontopofus. She had big new bolt-ons and was hellbent on winning that contest. When she took the stage she told Scotty "Keep your f*ckin' hands off me Carbone." and proceeded to whip off her tee shirt. She got a big rise out of the crowd but Scotty and Bill Booth disqualified her for reasons of "protocol". (insertion scars) I never noticed them before or after... much

jon

Does the rumor of a contestant giving a BJ to a judge sum up the determination of the wet T-shirt contest winner?

Resourcefulness is a key ingredient in regard to excelling in this sport! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I was there! Two things I remember, besides the lovely ladies was that 1) the preacher was at the front left of stage and enjoying himself as much as the rest of us. 2) The lady giving the BJ did not actually win the contest.

And it was very cold that night. The crowd huddled together a lot to stay warm.

Oh, and the Herd was firing their milk cannon a lot that night.

Good times.
Mike Ashley
D-18460
Canadian A-666