Usetawuz

Regarding ParaCommanders (PC's)

Got one to give away? Send it on.

Some guy at our old DZ had a light blue one that he bought in about 1980. At least it seems like it was around then. I know it was long after almost all new canopies were ram airs. The thing glowed in the sun.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I'm sure I have a slide, yes a piece of kodachrom mounted in a cardboard square, somewhere of the blue one in the air. I don't remember what rig he had it in but it was in a bag. And a lot smaller pack volume than my comp. PC in a cotton sleeve.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Yes Sir,
you are qualified to talk about the PC since you go back the 1970's. Around the mid seventies I put 200 plus jumps on my PC. That has become a 'by gone' era that most don't know about.
WDI's and (for the most part) long walks back to DZ over barb wired fences bcause seldom was the spot any good but those were days that have become special and so few can remember them. You probably have an SCR & SCS. (Me too) I even have a 4stackCRW number (221) I can't believe I am still jumping after all these years. It is always nice to see a fellow 'old' person out there!

Mine is a beautiful purple (I named it "The Grape").
Condition and airworthiness is a question mark.
It's been partially packed for many, many years. I didn't jump it often.
At least, I live in a dry climate so it might be okay, but I can't say for certain.

Terry - Dan - The Grape is pretty-much free to a 'good home'.

It was a fun canopy for an occasional non-square jump!

Dibs, dibs, dibs!!!!:o:o

Strato Star has enough stuff.;):P I've got a V9 waiting for it! And a PC bag in the drawer with loops to stow the apex lines.

Even better if you have a conventional rig to get rid of too. I've trying to find a conventional system that somebody wasn't paying too much for. I've even got the parts around here to put a belly wart together. My PC is in a Crossbow piggy back rig. Even I don't want to pack that belly-wart-on-the-back reserve. :S

Be more than happy to pay for shipping.:)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Terry it's yours. It seems to be in real
good shape. Give it a good home. If you
decide you don't want it then 'play it forward'.
PM me, we'll work out the shipping.

I had a couple of others express interest by
PM. Sorry guys, wish I had several.

Sent you a PM last night. I do appreciate your willing to share the good stuff from your past.B|

Hopefully, if I get it in a modern container I'll get some of the newer weinies to try it out.:P

According to Howard's ad maybe they only came in blue and purble?

If you happen to have the manual throw it or a copiy in too? Just for grins.:)
I was looking through an older skydiving book and it had a photo of people packing at a world championship in the 60's. Of course rounds stretched out outside with people holding tension. I still have my packing stake made from a large engine valve. I'll have to get it out.

Thanks again.

"I'm giddy like a little girl!"

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Ya know a nice vintage wonderhog would hold that RW real smooth like.;)

Besides if you find a large "modern" piggy back and put it in there, it's a lot of fun to go to dz where no one knows what you have in there till track away from a larger RW dive and deploy.B|

"THAT GUYS CANOPY BLEW UP, LOOK AT ALL THE HOLES IN IT"!

Kids, :S:D

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

My wife used to jump an RWPC before she quit and it really landed nice. Most of the PCs that I had were chopped up so much that you BETTER hit the pea gravel or do a PLF.
As far as the best accuracy round, I liked the real UT-15 best followed by a French Pap. They were also the most reliable canopies that I jumped. Never had a single funtion on either one. Had a pile of them on PCs.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

I always had soft, easy stand-ups whenever I jumped mine too. An exception was when I jumped
it at Crested Butte Colorado once. Field elevation somewhere around 9000 MSL. Landed like the proverbial "sack of sh*t". Hit 5 points of contact though (2 feet, 2 knees, and my forehead)!

Hi pop,

Sorry, but a 36" inch chop was for wienies. The real men took 48" off of the lines and 'then' she was a real performer. B|

Those Florida guys and their d-bags, humph????? :P

JerryBaumchen

48", at our DZ we started at 54" and the serious guys were taking 60" out. Probably why I had so many functions come to think about it.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

Jerry - With over 800 jumps on it, I took six FEET off my PC suspension lines, then removed the stabilzer panels, all in aid of a smaller pack volume. I immediately learned why they were called stabilizers. Didn't keep it long enough to learn how to dampen the oscillations. Gave it away and bought a T-Bow. Then a Starlight, followed by a 'Dactyl. Logged 21 cutaways on the PC, but then, I was a trash packer: flake it to one side and sleeve it. Kept me current on my emergency procedures.
Hoop

Well Jerry,Guess I'm a wienie then...In 1955 I got tierd of getting the shit knocked out of me from thoughs loose pack openings (no sleeves here yet) and I remembered how the Army cured the problem by packing the canopy in a static lined d/bag so I made a bag and attached a pilot chute to it and the rest is history.Bet you have one on your square too!!!Pop

Hi pop,

Sorry, but a 36" inch chop was for wienies. The real men took 48" off of the lines and 'then' she was a real performer. B|

Those Florida guys and their d-bags, humph????? :P

JerryBaumchen

Took 48 outta mine...but not being a rigger OR very smart, I shortened the crown-lines to the same length...no slack in 'em when packing....MAN that thing opened hard! :S

Turned fast and sunk stable...but the OPENINGS! :):o

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I shortened the crown-lines to the same length...no slack in 'em when packing....MAN that thing opened hard!

Do you mean the apex lines? I can't figure out how the crown lines would affect the opening. The apex lines on the other hand would have a big affect on the fill time.