dumstuntzz

whos this?

Dick Morgan came into my office at the old-old Z'hills dropzone, fixed me with an exasperated stare, and demanded, 'Why aren't you jumping one of our squares?'

I pointed at my Buchman Eagle with it's Starlite and said, "Because none of them will fit in that."

'What if we sent you something that will fit in it?'

'Well, then I just might jump it.'

And a couple of weeks later I got one of the prototype Stratoflyers to test. Must have put 600 to 700 jumps on it, before Jim Mowry upgraded me with an Osprey.

Sort of missed shouting 'ROUND IS SOUND!'

Hoop
SCR242

Okay, now you have me fired up. The ONLY canopy that Pioneer produced that was a knock-off of a Para-Flite canopy was the original Viking. When I was hired in May 1978 to get Pioneer back into the sport market, I had them take the Viking and make a light-weight, low pack volume version - the Superlite. From then on, all other Pioneer canopies were designed in-house.

The Merlin was, as far as I know, the only three-line group canopy ever made and was very successful for Pioneer. Done right, it was even possible to swoop with it. It was done to compete with the Unit but had a shorter chord and only A, B, and C line groups and no cascades...only the steering lines.

The Osprey was also unique and produced to be a more forgiving canopy to the Merlin. It was about 220 square feet. The Pegasus had come along and we were looking to compete with that. Para-Flite also had a canopy (can't remember the name of it but Jerry Bird let me try his and it was a nice canopy) somewhat similar but I think we were all just chasing the same demographics. Their Stato-Flyer was pounding people in and the Merlin required just the right technique to get really good landings. We had a number of line trims on the Merlins trying to get the best openings and best landings right up until we stopped making them in favor of the Osprey.

The Titan was a canopy for accuracy jumpers and somewhere around 260 square feet...no Para-Flite canopy resemblance there either.

Pioneer also made the original "Hi-Lifter" for the Relative Workshop's tandem rigs. No Para-Flite version of that either. The TC-9 was a nine-cell for the Pioneer HAPPS system that we were selling to military units for HALO and HAHO applications. I took it all over Europe, SEA, and India. Para-Flight had a five or seven cell with span-wise construction whereas Pioneer used I-beam construction - completely different manufacturing methods.

In conclusion, your statement is incorrect.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

Thread creep... Disregard.

Mike Cerasoli, who used to build the Mirage, had a Merlin and let me borrow it regularly. It was the first canopy that would plane out into a flat glide at flare especially with a little carving turn onto final. He and I loved it because we were the right wingloading weight and could really wring it out. We're talking 1981-? here, long before "swooping". I think Mike Furry saw the increased aspect ratio and went on to build his own higher aspect ratio canopies like the Bandit from there.

The High Lifter was an extremely robust and reliable tandem canopy. It was withstanding openings at around 200 mph with loads in excess of 400#. Toggle pressures were heavy after a day of tandems but being a pre-drogue tandem master wasn't for wimps.

Pioneer was a major player in the sport market. It was my impression that their efforts at military market penetration took priority over the sport market. It wasn't like their stuff was unpopular or didn't perform. They just bailed.

jon

TO: Bill, Jim and Jon
Subject: Oops

Sorry, guys, I was just trying to be trivial and historical; unlike in another - ahem - unnamed thread, I didn't mean to cause dissension in our Old-fart ranks. Besides, weren't they ALL fun to jump - after the freefall relative work? Maybe I should have just stuck with ROUND IS SOUND!

See what a force for cohesion I can be? (Don't look so surprised.)

Hoop

TO: Bill, Jim and Jon
Subject: Oops

Sorry, guys, I was just trying to be trivial and historical; unlike in another - ahem - unnamed thread, I didn't mean to cause dissension in our Old-fart ranks. Besides, weren't they ALL fun to jump - after the freefall relative work? Maybe I should have just stuck with ROUND IS SOUND!

See what a force for cohesion I can be? (Don't look so surprised.)

Hoop

Hey, a round will get you down, but a square will get you there.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Hoop,

I think Bill Newcomb was the one that stirred the stuff this time by saying Pioneer's stuff was all knock-off of Paraflight gear. I was sticking up for Jim's defense of Pioneer's canopies with my experiences under them and my consumer's perspective. Now THAT is trivial. No apologies. It's fun to kick a few hornets' nests around here.

jon

It is obvious to me that you really don't know what you are talking about.

Please examine the dimensions of the XL Cloud and the Titan - wing span, chord, airfoil, line trim, construction methods etc. If you do that, you will find virtually NO similarities. About the only thing they share is the F-111 material and dacron lines...which ALL manufacturers were using at the time

The Merlin...which Para-Flite canopy was this a knock-off of????

While my memory is a little faded after all these years, the Pegasus preceded the Cruisair rather than the other way around. The Osprey was Pioneer's take on an all-around/RW oriented canopy that would address the needs of the largest segment of the jumping population of the time. The Merlin appealed to a much smaller segment of the market. The Osprey was targeted directly at the Pegasus as that was the canopy that was taking the largest share of the market...not the Cruisair.

I'd be interested in hearing what your background is in the development and marketing of parachutes in the 70s and 80s that makes you such an "authority" on the subject.

Maybe we can get Elek to join in the conversation. I'm sure he would have some opinions on the subject as well.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

I'll jump into the fray.
Who is the other jumper in the picture and what dropzone was the picture taken at?
...And whose hair is that on the scan?
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

osprey AND pegasus=knock offs of the para flite cruiseair/cruiselite. titan = knock off of para flite XL Cloud

http://books.google.com/books?id=BKTuTXrXQu0C&pg=PA267&lpg=PA267&dq=%22XL+Cloud++%22&source=web&ots=n_mjDs8R2q&sig=IAe5sE8mJ_QaLw_Qvy87hzNPlNE#PPA250,M1

Pages 267 through 279 give a fairly good history.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Okay, now you have me fired up. The ONLY canopy that Pioneer produced that was a knock-off of a Para-Flite canopy was the original Viking.
[...]
The Merlin was, as far as I know, the only three-line group canopy ever made and was very successful for Pioneer.

Yeah we have to distinguish between canopies that are knock-offs in terms of "measuring all dimensions of the competitor's canopy and then tweaking", vs. just doing something similar for a similar market after the other guy started to be successful with a design. The latter might be termed a knock-off in casual conversation, but not be one in a stricter and more correct engineering & construction sense.

And as an footnote to piper17's interesting history, I will note that the Evolution canopy also had only 3 line groups (A,B,C).... and it was made by Para Flite, although later than the other canopies under discussion.

(Lest any one think I'm anti-Pioneer, my only canopy until '02 was a Titan and I jump a Mk I PC too.)

My first ram air canopy, a GQ Security-made X-210 main, had three line groups. That confused me a bit when I was reading a general packing guide and it got to the "D" line group. "What D lines!? Is there supposed to be something between my Cs and the brake lines?" :P