47 47
quade

DB Cooper

The only caveat is he asked "no cabin pressure".
That may imply what?

That would keep the plane below about 10,000 ft to assure sufficient breathing oxygen in ambient air. The pilots had supp O2 they could use but the stews didnt (at least not without taking a tank and mask down from an overhead) and they could be injured by high flight without pressurization or at the least lose consciousness.

The unpressurized order limited altitude and the gear down order limited speed. That says smart to me not dumb. That says he had some aviation knowledge.

I agree with the technical logic but
this level of logic does not require special training;
just general exposure. Farflung's list of things Cooper 'did not' ask for and the contradictions in
Cooper's requests, is telling to Farflung.

What all of this may prove is Cooper had an
average IQ or better, and nothing more.

I believe he knew the plane had to be depressurized to open the stairs. I also think the level off at 7,000 feet betrayed some misunderstanding about the stairs operation. Unless it was in fact the bulkhead door Cooper was having troubles with.

Makes for an additional contradiction. Cooper was told the stairs could not be down for take off. The aft (bulkhead) door most certainly could have been open for those operations. What door was Cooper and Boeing and Northwest dithering over? The bulkhead door or the air stairs door or both?

From my hazy recall, at 10,000 feet cabin altitude and night operations may have required the crew to mask up. Not sure though.

It almost had to be the aft stairs door because
there was discussion over whether Tina should be tied in or not (to avoid being swept out) ... is
my understanding?

Just to backup, Ckret thought Cooper wanting
the door open and stair down at liftoff was a sign
Cooper wanted to bail asap after liftoff; that he
was not concerned with "where" he was so much
as "escaping asap".

Amazon. I thought you were familiar with that area.It is obvious you are not. Yes the dead stinks. If your close to them.However How can you explain.The discovery of many corpses in that area 3yrs later close to a road or how can you explain the discovery of a pilots remains 50 yrs later, In that same area. Critters move bones around but not far. Your theory is without merrit. One last thought The green river killer had many bodies stashed in the wood's uncovered.They were found in tact.Go figure.Jerry

You and I both know that there are a hell of a lot of people all over those woods under the flight path... and its all year long with timber cruisers..loggers hikers hunters nature freaks....face it.. contrary to your dreams of glory.. he aint there.:ph34r::ph34r:

I wasnt there but from people I know who were
on these searches both initially and then for several
years afterwards ... I think the best synopsis is its
somewhere between what you both are claiming ...
a middle ground?

Amazon. What year was your first static line jump. Where were you trained. Was it Benning or Bragg.Jerry

Homestead first two canopy rides and static line that saturday... August 1972

Benning mid 70's

I already had about 40 skydives

Amazon. You are still avoiding the question.Validate your claims.To make it simple Put Up or Shut up.You know i'm right. Just tell me where you took your training and what year.I will be glad to verify it.Then you can be creditable.I have had to prove all my claim's . I've done this. Your Turn. Jerry

Amazon. You are still avoiding the question.Validate your claims.To make it simple Put Up or Shut up.You know i'm right. Just tell me where you took your training and what year.I will be glad to verify it.Then you can be creditable.I have had to prove all my claim's . I've done this. Your Turn. Jerry

Where did you get your jump training.. I have not seen squat other than claims

Told you first canopy rides were at Homestead AFB Aug 1972... that weekend I was at the DZ with one of the instructors doing the FJC with Tom Manning. Did a couple static lines that day on student gear.

Did Benning a couple years later as a SGT three long weeks training to jump outta planes on the dope rope..... and putting up with morons...that needed all that structure to be able to jump and not kill everyone around them.

Now.. when are you going to man up and come jump with us.

It's funny to see Amazon and Jerry questioning each other to see if the other really is a trained parachutist. I have talked to a few pretenders and they are soooo easy to spot. Jerry and Amazon are (to me) clearly experienced jumpers.

Take a good read about Steve Faucet's crash discovery. Just like Jerry said, scavenging animals had moved bones and even his wallet contents but most parts were found and none very far from the impact area.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Bruce the fazio'z were not denied access to there property. They were employed by the FBI to dig on the site with there back hoe. further more there are to different stories by the brothers each remember's the story a little diferently. Also the time factor of over 20yrs change's the story some what. Now I would recommend that each of you contact the fazio's and get the story directly from them. They enjoy talking about it.Jerry

[reply

Jerry, I have spoken with Richard and Al Fazio several times at Tina's Beach. Al directly told me about coming back from a cattle auction and being denied entrance to his property.

Further, he did not seem to appreciate the fact that since the feds were on the beach before him his opinion on wash-ups and tide line depostion of the money is compromised. At best, he came upon a evidence retrieval operation already underway, and didn't see the original dispersal pattern.

It's funny to see Amazon and Jerry questioning each other to see if the other really is a trained parachutist. I have talked to a few pretenders and they are soooo easy to spot. Jerry and Amazon are (to me) clearly experienced jumpers.

Take a good read about Steve Faucet's crash discovery. Just like Jerry said, scavenging animals had moved bones and even his wallet contents but most parts were found and none very far from the impact area.

I have not seen any claims of his about actually being jump qualified...let alone any operation jumps... and surely nothing more than dope rope if even that.:ph34r::ph34r:

And driving around for hours in his LARGE MANLY 4x4 searching the area... sorry but that is a big NOPE not gonna happen... already searched all over those woods for sasquatch with some morons....I do not need even one minute more with the same mindset looking for the ever elusive Cooper...cause he aint there.

I followed the Faucet case as close as I could so
have to disagree a bit. As I recall the few human remains left were distributed at a greater distance
than expected, making it hard to find anything..
animals had done a real job, and the plane was
broken down into small pieces making it difficult
to spot from the air. Several people had already
done a ground search over the same area and
found nothing ... then went back later and did a
slow methodical search, then found small pieces
of the plane and two peieces of human remains
at the plane (two bones), then it took a long search
to find the few remaininghuman remains (bones
which had been carried a long distance)? I thought
about the Cooper case when following this story -

Maybe you know something I dont?

Georger may know more than I do about Fosset's crash site. I thought no bones were found more than about 200 yards from structural wreckage.

Amazon, do tell us how YOU of all people got roped into a Sasquatch hunt???

I'd say show me a body, skull or other verifiable body parts from a dead one then we'll look for a live one. How can people believe that big ape like animals live among us yet NO remains have ever been found.

As I recall Jerry is HALO qualified and also has made sport FF jumps.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Georger may know more than I do about Fosset's crash site. I thought no bones were found more than about 200 yards from structural wreckage.

Amazon, do tell us how YOU of all people got roped into a Sasquatch hunt???

I'd say show me a body, skull or other verifiable body parts from a dead one then we'll look for a live one. How can people believe that big ape like animals live among us yet NO remains have ever been found.

As I recall Jerry is HALO qualified and also has made sport FF jumps.

Here's a few urls - at first they found
no human remains, hiker-searcher found personal
papers ...

http://a11news.com/694/steve-faucet-plane-wreckage-found/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Fossett

http://askville.amazon.com/remains-daredevil-Steve-Faucet-found/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=17492426

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-081002-steve-fossett-photogallery,0,7795762.photogallery

http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/fossett.htm

Driver's license found on October 30, 2008 belonged to FossettCNN: foot bones, shoes, and ID found near Fossett crash site (October 31, 2008)1
Two bones, pair of shoes foundCNN: ones, ID found near Fossett crash site (October 31, 2008)1
Remains now found amid wreckage of Fossett's plane and half a mile awayPE.com: Remains found at Steve Fossett wreckage site(October 2, 2008)2 CNN: ones, ID found near Fossett crash site (October 31, 2008)1
According to reports, "very little" of the remains were present at the crash sitePE.com: Remains found at Steve Fossett wreckage site(October 2, 2008)2
DNA tests conducted on remains concluded they were Fosset'sWelt: Steve Fossett remains confirm his death (November 4, 2008)3
Searchers not surprised by the small amount of remains given the time since the crashPE.com: Remains found at Steve Fossett wreckage site(October 2, 2008)2
Plane debris area measured 400 feet by 150 feetInside Bay Area: Searchers find human remains at Fossett crash site (October 2, 2008)4
Coyotes and other wildlife in the areaInside Bay Area: Searchers find human remains at Fossett crash site (October 2, 2008)4 ID and Clothing Found: Hikers found sweatshirt at some distance from crash site possibly belonging to Fossett on October 4, 2008, in a remote area of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Fossett's remains have been found about a mile and a half away in a trail
away from crash site. Animal involvement likely.
)5 Investigators said Thursday DNA tests now confirm they have found the remains of Steve Fossett.

Amazon. One question.Did you enjoy the towers at benning. I am realy curious what is your gender.And what year did you train at FT Benning.Better yet when were you awarded Your jump wings. Last but not least what is the name of the building that you stood in front of when you recieved your wing's . Every class recieves there wing's in front of this building.Jerry

Fossett's remains have been found about a mile and a half away in a trail away from crash site. Animal involvement likely.

I stand corrected Georger. 1.5 miles is surprising.

Fossett's remains have been found about a mile and a half away in a trail away from crash site. Animal involvement likely.

I stand corrected Georger. 1.5 miles is surprising.

One can piece together the details, I
wont present here. I wasnt too surprised once I learned what types of animals were involved. Ive
had personal experience traking down stock that
were dragged away; its best to be on horseback or
it can be a very long walk (both ways).

What did surprise me was the hiker had been over
that terrain once and didnt see anything (wasnt
especially looking either) but once a glint of debris
was spotted from the air he went back in a second
time and went straight to the site ... rugged
terrain... and the site wasnt too far from the path
the hiker had taken the first time.

Its a shame an experienced pilot would fall victim
to a down draft ... there was a special on tv about this but I dont remember what network it was. I checked Nova listings and it wasnt there. Maybe
Discovery or NatGeo ???

If I recall this it had something to do with his
type of plane - he couldnt get out of a downdraft
severe? You may know something about that, or
Sluggo, or Farflung. Its just such a shame ....
I think he had flown over that area many many times?

Nobody knows for sure why Fosset crashed. A pilot I know thinks that he may have been doing acrobatics. To that pilots eye (he flies acro) the wreckage condition and distribution suggests a high speed impact inconsistent with straight and level cruise speeds for the type of aircraft he was flying. It appears that he hit with his wings level and at high speed. His seatbelt was unfastened which argues against acro flying. To me it's inconclusive as to what caused the crash.

See:
http://www.flyingmag.com/safety/accident-investigations/acceptable-risk

Definitely a strange case. 12,000 foot plus acro below the ridge line of a box canyon is weird. The planes performance is so marginal at that altitude.

The open seat belt is less baffling. Have you ever tried to open a bear proof garbage can? Twist then push while lifting the right side then....you get the idea. Something was able to open that belt after the crash.

That hiker blundered upon some mountain money which lead to Fossett's discovery. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing really know how to make money that can take a licking.

Definitely a strange case. 12,000 foot plus acro below the ridge line of a box canyon is weird. The planes performance is so marginal at that altitude.

Could hypoxia have been an issue at 12,000 ft?

The open seat belt is less baffling. Have you ever tried to open a bear proof garbage can? Twist then push while lifting the right side then....you get the idea. Something was able to open that belt after the crash.

Are you saying scavengers opened the belt or that he survived the crash at least long enough to unbuckle?

That hiker blundered upon some mountain money which lead to Fossett's discovery. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing really know how to make money that can take a licking.

They need to do a bit more research on boring animal resistance. Those Cooper twenties were in pretty bad shape. I am assuming the holes were made by some kind of animal, but who knows? Remember when they couldnt find hardly any circulated hundred dollar bills without measurable cocaine residue? It became an issue in a currency forfeiture case. The feds said it was drug money citing cocaine residue on the bills and the claimant said it was no different than generally circulated hundreds, and was apparently right.

Georger,

Do you think Cooper landed in the river? It sure looks like his money may have.

Just curious about your current thinking on the subject.

I think the open belt buckle was largely future myth in the making. I do not think Fossett survived this event. IF his belt was open it may have been from animals getting lucky with the device.

The hypoxia theory is a very valid point (never considered it myself, and I'm a modest, hyper - genius) if the Mode C was pinging the guy at 14,900 he should have been sucking O2 for sure.

The NTSB report mentions how he was not going to do any aerobatic work since he did not wear a parachute as required by regs. That is a new one to me, solo pilots are not required to wear a chute. That was strange to read in the report.

I think you have a good thesis of judgement impaired by hypoxia with an aircraft at the nape of its performance envelope while entering a box canyon. If he had stuck to 395 he could have lived to fly another day.

The other goofy thing about the report was the mentioned transponder track. A target was recorded from 9 to 9:30 following 395 then entering the "recip killing fields" of the Ansel Adams Wilderness where the last report put the aircraft within one mile of Fossett's crash site.

Why were so many searching around Walker Lake? Even with a good amount of information, it is surprising how a plane crash can go undetected for such a long time.

The NTSB report mentions how he was not going to do any aerobatic work since he did not wear a parachute as required by regs. That is a new one to me, solo pilots are not required to wear a chute. That was strange to read in the report.

You're wrong. You seem completely unfamiliar with the FARs.
http://www.flightsimaviation.com/data/FARS/part_91-307.html

I'm not saying that just because a pilot goes up without a parachute that fact will stop him from performing aerobatics, but the FARs are crystal clear. There are no real aerobatic maneuvers that can be performed without violating 60° of bank or 30° of pitch; none. Doing so requires a parachute by law whether you're solo or not.

Fossett was an experienced pilot and had a LOT to lose by dying in a plane crash. I find it illogical to assume he'd perform aerobatics without a parachute. They're relatively inexpensive and easy to come by.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You're wrong. You seem completely unfamiliar with the FARs.
http://www.flightsimaviation.com/data/FARS/part_91-307.html

I'm not saying that just because a pilot goes up without a parachute that fact will stop him from performing aerobatics, but the FARs are crystal clear. There are no real aerobatic maneuvers that can be performed without violating 60° of bank or 30° of pitch; none. Doing so requires a parachute by law whether you're solo or not.

Fossett was an experienced pilot and had a LOT to lose by dying in a plane crash. I find it illogical to assume he'd perform aerobatics without a parachute. They're relatively inexpensive and easy to come by.

I wonder about a heart attack or blackout given
his age and profile - Ive seen very little written about his actual medical condition (for some reason). The assumption is he was fit ... Ive seen
a lot of "fit" people with his profile suddenly drop.