21 21
quade

DB Cooper

(edited)

And the hits just keep on coming. This amazing offer came to us this morning from our book distributor, Ingram/LSI. We could not say no. Into The Blast will now have a hardcover version soon, and a couple of other titles we carry that are now only in paperback. Everyone here was pretty jazzed. We accepted this offer. After the first free year, then for each book it is $12 a year to keep that book in the worldwide print/shipping database. It only takes about six or eight yearly sales of a title to cover that fee.

This, as Marlon Brando once said, is an offer you can't refuse. B)

IngramOffer.jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

'Marla' (*allegedly*) over at Bruce Smith's Mountain News says:

"I’ll actually show up and do a presentation for Eric Ulis, just to see what the loon from AB looks like……if he’s man enough to show up. Besides, I like Bruce Smith and he owes me a beer……..or two.
Marla."

Sorry, Marla. (If you are actually the REAL Marla Cooper) I'm committed to the Cooper Party in July, and in November I have to be in San Diego for Thanksgiving. Had to skip that trip last year due to the pandemic. Can't get out of going down there this year. 

And besides...after all the outright lies you and your compatriots have told about me and Skipp Porteous over the last year at Bruce's website, I wouldn't show my face at the Kiggins Theater if you sent a gold-plated limo to take me there and back. I don't hang out with liars and haters, Marla. Or the people who support them.  

Call it a character flaw. B)

The only thing I don't understand is why you guys keep making up stories about Geoff Gray as well. What in the holy hell did Geoff Gray ever do to YOU guys? As far as you 'promising' to show up, you should learn to keep your lies and possible false identities straight. Eric already HAS you on the official list of speakers, 'Marla'. 

Maybe it slipped your mind or something. You guys crank out more baloney at Bruce's place than the typical daily output of an Oscar Meyer factory.  

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

Hey, I know Martin Andrade reads this board and he is looking into the Egg Harbor suspect, so I thought I would ask here if he (or anyone else) can compile the new information about the EHS from the latest 302s? I first heard of him from here https://martinandrade.wordpress.com/2020/11/24/db-cooper-the-fbis-unresolved-suspects/ and it seems like we have some new info - I am pretty sure the same guy is mentioned a few times in the latest release, but I am not very confident in my ability to interpret the files accurately.

Edited by Coopericane
  • Like 1

(edited)

More baloney, more lies. Bruce Smith's Mountain News blog is rapidly becoming the home for all of it in the Cooper case. 

From today, via 'Johnnie Greene,' a guy, who Kurt Russell might have said about, likes to 'hide inside an imitation'. (One of his lines from the film, The Thing.) Cooperland seems to have an abundance of these people, and many of them post up using phony identities at Bruce's place. All or most of them are actually active members of Dave Brown's D.B. Cooper Forum. What Dave won't usually allow at his place, they simply do at Bruce's blog. Like this recent stuff, with my responses added:

"1. Geoff Gray never wanted to meet Blevins and in fact he made disparaging remarks about Blevins to several people involved in the Cooper case."

Robert says: An outright pack of lies. Produce one verifiable email, just ONE, that supports this statement. You can't. I have spoken to Geoff about this matter, and he completely denied saying anything like it. In fact, once you started falsely quoting him, you lost any chance you may have had to get him to participate in internet discussions about the Cooper case. He saw the writing on the wall and wanted nothing to do with the whole thing anymore. By the way...Gray is on the main update email list for the Party. He, like the other people on that list, are offered the chance to be removed from that list if they don't want the updates. None of them, including Gray, have asked to be dropped, and still receive the monthly updates. 

"2. Skipp Porteous never wanted to meet with his alleged co-author Robert Blevins, which seems mighty strange behavior for two alleged co-authors."

Robert says: He invited Gayla and I to stay with him for a few days when he was living in Morro Bay, California. Unfortunately, due to running two businesses and other obligations, we were lucky to get out of Washington state more than once a year. The rest of the time he lived in New York City, and for a short while, Toronto. Then California. Then he moved back to Florida when he got sick and stayed with family. 

"Blevins “skipped” Porteous’ funeral."

Robert says: This is true, although the main reason was because Skipp was in Florida when he died, and it was mostly a family affair. But most of his immediate family are Facebook friends with me, even today, including his son. I wish I could have been at the funeral, yes. But it just wasn't possible for me to fly cross-country for that at the time. After he died, I studied his earlier book Jesus Doesn't Live Here Anymore, to get a better idea on what he was all about. He got aphasia near the end, and my last message from him before he died was barely legible because he could hardly use a keyboard anymore. It was pretty sad all around. You guys have a lot of nerve telling your lies about him, I can tell you that. 

"3. Lyle Christianson stated on a national radio show that he “made-up” the entire story about Ken Christiansen because he wanted attention and a movie."

Robert says: I've heard that old story. Several times. When I questioned Lyle about it, he denied it ever happened. Why would he do that when he was cooperating with anyone, including me, who came along and wanted information on Kenny to assist in any investigation? It's ludicrous. We have literally scores of letters, pictures, documents, and even Kenny/Cooper related gifts from Lyle here in our files and in storage by the boatload. Lyle even had the local cops come by and take a DNA sample from him to send to us....in case the FBI decided to try going that route with their tie DNA evidence. And even HE didn't know for sure if Kenny was Cooper. He only suspected he was, which is our opinion on the whole matter even today.

"With friends like Geoff, Skipp, and Lyle…….why does Robert Blevins need enemies? Isn’t it easier to just invite strangers to go camping?"

Robert says: So you are going after Geoff Gray again? Or are you talking about the Geoff on the AB staff, the guy from England? Geoff GRAY told me years ago he wanted nothing to do with Cooperland, and *most* (there were a few exceptions) of the people who inhabit that world. Guess why. One reason might be because some people in Cooperland have nothing else to do with their pathetic lives than to lie about others out of jealousy, hatred, etc. Geoff Gray is smarter than me, you, or anyone else who has been involved in the Cooper case. He did his bit, and then he got out. He even tossed the first convention before he left Cooperland. I'm a member of his True Ink website, although I don't have time to contribute much there lately. 

As far as 'inviting strangers' to go camping, I call them "DB Cooper fans out there in the public domain," not friends. It's what you do when you hold a Cooper event, whether it be a whopping party nine miles south of Greenwater, WA this coming July, or a convention at a theater in Vancouver this coming November. Your comment sounds more like jealousy to me. Reason is because no matter how many lies you tell, or how many names you drag through the mud, people in general have a habit of seeing through such things for what they are. Not EVERYONE who is interested in the Cooper case hangs out at Mountain News, the Cooper Forum, and Dropzone. For example, every time a new post about the case shows up at Quora Cooper, that post in its entirety gets sent out by email to 2,000 people who signed up to get them, an additional 800 or so of my personal followers, and whatever those people decide to share with other users once they receive them. Then there is the main AB site stuff, the Cooper WordPress, Facebook, Twitter, etc as well. 

And even after all of that, we have STILL had a difficult time convincing people to show up in July to the Cooper Party. Six months since we started advertising and planning, and still only 66 confirmed attendees that I feel confident will actually show up. So far. The pandemic has made it very tough to do public events this year. Our goal is to reach at least 100 people before finalizing the event and releasing the budget. And we have to do this by June 5th. At this point, I would say our chances are much better than your chances of 'getting 500-1000' attendees (from a previous post at Mountain News) and packing the house all weekend for that November convention. I think what we have here is a case of jealousy. You can't believe it that people would actually be interested in attending the party in July. Did it surprise you when people showed up from all over for the Ariel event? They usually got around a hundred people or so, which is about the same number we expect will show up in July, assuming we finalize the party and release the budget. 

The truth is, even if I wanted to go public against the convention this year at all of those internet places I mentioned, I wouldn't stoop to doing that, or even bother. The way you guys are going, you will probably ruin your chances of decent attendance anyway, simply by providing enough hateful postings publicly to turn peoples' stomachs and convince them that wasting $21.50 a ticket on such people as yourselves would be foolish. You don't need me to do anything negative. You pay out your own rope and tie the hangman's noose for yourselves just fine on your own. If you were actually smart, you would stop lying about other people and work together for the common good. But you won't. You would rather trash me and hope that works, even if you sacrifice all of EU's work and his money, while he tries to do something positive in the Cooper case. Forget about me. You don't even care about what's best for him. 

That's how you operate. That's how you ARE. If you show up to EU's event in November and discover there are empty seats galore, your actions over the previous year are probably the reason that happened. Not just the lies and the hatred, but a lack of cooperation in Cooperland. Remember something: While you are advertising this event over the next seven months, some possible attendees will Google on that list of people and recommended websites, and many of them will judge whether to pull out their credit cards and buy a ticket based on what they discover about those people and those websites. And sometimes it ain't a pretty picture, my friends. I could have a field day revealing Cooperland's true nature just in time for the convention, but I won't do that. Even if I wanted to, why should I bother? You are trashing your own efforts very well on your own. 

And by the way....after all these years...you should have learned your lesson by now. You pulled out every stop, you tried every lie, mostly anonymously. None of it worked. Into The Blast is selling more copies each month than it ever has since its release in January 2011, and I'm starting to think we may actually get more people to come to the Cooper Party in July than you will to Cooper Con in November. MAYBE. But whose fault is that? Mine? I don't think so. You guys are so steeped in hatred that hatred is all you see now. It blinded you to common sense, and even from what is best for you as a group. We offered to work with you, to do heavy advertising for you, to convince the people WE were involved with regarding the Cooper Party to all support the event in Vancouver as well. There was even talk of contributing some funds from the Party budget down to the Convention, to assist with expenses. All of which you rejected. Well, okay. 

In the end, the lesson is that it is better sometimes to just let people go on their merry way and see what happens. B)

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
4 hours ago, Coopericane said:

Hey, I know Martin Andrade reads this board and he is looking into the Egg Harbor suspect, so I thought I would ask here if he (or anyone else) can compile the new information about the EHS from the latest 302s? I first heard of him from here https://martinandrade.wordpress.com/2020/11/24/db-cooper-the-fbis-unresolved-suspects/ and it seems like we have some new info - I am pretty sure the same guy is mentioned a few times in the latest release, but I am not very confident in my ability to interpret the files accurately.

Andrade is actually a pretty nice guy. He should help you if you ask him politely. He has a book out on the Cooper case at Amazon, both in paperback and for the Kindle. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
15 hours ago, Coopericane said:

There were some new details about EHS, the biggest was his release from TWA after the hijacking and his lack of an alibi during the hijacking... We think.

The files are so heavily redacted we can't be sure. It also appears as though they had EHS' work, military and education history as well.

Edited by Andrade1812

9 hours ago, Andrade1812 said:

There were some new details about EHS, the biggest was his release from TWA after the hijacking and his lack of an alibi during the hijacking... We think.

The files are so heavily redacted we can't be sure. It also appears as though they had EHS' work, military and education history as well.

Thanks. This guy and the Shelton one are really interesting to me and I appreciate your previous write-up on them. Here's hoping we learn more about both of them in the future...

12 hours ago, Andrade1812 said:

I have wondered sometimes how Geoff Gray managed to get hold of the UN-redacted files that he did. The ones he released publicly. There is no use in asking him, because he has already claimed source protection on that years ago. But whatever source for those files he had going, it was a GOOD source. 

I will tell you what I know about Gray, as far as his participation in the Cooper case. I don't think any of this will make him angry. He told me once that he just wasn't going to be a part of the online fighting that often comes with discussions on the Cooper case. He never pointed to any person or persons in particular. He just said he didn't want to go down that road. Gray was also the first person to get a sale for the movie rights to his Cooper book. Skyjack was picked up by CBS Films at first. Then CBS sold off the rights to director Will Gluck's ('Friends With Benefits') production company. That was back in 2012. The movie was never made, but Gray (from what I know regarding books and sales of rights on those books for movies) probably collected at least $50,000 upfront I would think. His book was on the New York Times bestseller list for at least a week. So it would command at least that much, maybe more. 

Doesn't sound like much, but just getting on that NYT list is a big deal, even if you aren't on it long. He was the first and only Cooper author to manage that. The way it works on an option is that Gray would be able to keep that money, even if the movie is never made. The rights probably reverted back to Gray a while ago...but he still gets to keep the money. He only gets more if they MAKE the movie. It happens all the time like this. Production companies buy the rights to make a book into a motion picture, but most of the time the movie never gets green-lighted. Sometimes it does. 

I met Geoff Gray just once, but it was sort of a big deal. In August of 2010 he was on his book tour and I went to see him at a bookstore in Lake City, a suburb of Seattle. I had recently read his book, and I realized (in shock) that Skipp Porteous had not cooperated with Gray during the time Gray was researching Skyjack. There was absolutely no mention of the people who knew and testified regarding Kenny Christiansen, even though Porteous had told me he was cooperating with Gray. But it turned out that Porteous was withholding some things from Gray...and that included everything we had on all the witnesses mentioned in Into The Blast. In other words, since Gray's book contains absolutely no mention of people like Bernie Geestman, Helen Jones, Margaret Geestman, and others who were interviewed...I knew Gray had not been told anything about these people or their testimonies. I was pretty shocked. It was a glaring omission from Gray's book. 

So...just before I went to Lake City...I called Porteous and sort of confronted him about this. "Why isn't there anything in the Gray book about all these people and what they have said?" I asked. Porteous, it turned out, was in private eye mode. He wasn't going to tell Gray 'everything,' he said. I was extremely disappointed. "Don't you think it would have been better if all of us had cooperated?" I asked Porteous. "Maybe Gray would have found out things we didn't?"

Porteous did not have a good answer, and it was the first and only time I ever got angry with him. But by this time Gray was on his book tour with a book that was heavily devoted to Christiansen, (it even starts out with him) and he had been kept out of the information loop by Porteous. I was a bit embarrassed about the whole thing. So I did the only thing I could think of to do. 

I took a flash drive and loaded it with every single file, picture, interview note, and document we had up to that point regarding the investigation into Christiansen, and when I met Gray in Seattle, I gave it to him. I also apologized, but told him that I had no idea that Porteous was keeping some things back. I don't think it did much good. I'm sure Gray was still disappointed, although he wasn't angry or anything. Porteous later admitted to me that keeping Gray out of the information loop on certain things was probably a mistake on his part. 

(edited)

I have some concerns today regarding both the upcoming Cooper Con 2021 in Vancouver, and the tentative plan to hold a Cooper Party this July....and it has to do with the damn Covid crap. 

The Situation:

• Washington state is moving along well on the vaccination program, yet we keep seeing surges in Covid cases and hospitalizations. Currently, many counties are in what's called Phase 3, which means gatherings, whether indoor or outdoor, are limited to 50% of capacity. The problem is that due to case surge, some counties will be sent back to Phase 2 by May 7th. This means gatherings will be limited to 25% of capacity. Since the US Forest Service has been going along with these restrictions in Washington state...even though the US Forest Service is Federal...they will do the same thing regarding gatherings on US Forest Service land. In the organized campgrounds they will close access completely, and in non-organized areas they will go along with the Phase restrictions. (No more than 75 people together.)

• AB of Seattle has considered the idea that maybe we should just release the budget right NOW for the July party and simply see how many people show up the second weekend of July, rather than holding out for at least 100 confirmed attendees. It may turn out that we can't exceed 75 people anyway, which is the limit without a permit. What the Forest Service told me back when Covid was raging was that they wouldn't stop gatherings except at 'official' places, such as organized campgrounds...but that they WOULD refuse (or possibly cancel EXISTING) permits for larger gatherings. In other words, we could do 75 people without a permit almost anywhere that isn't a 'real campground' or a place where you need a Discover Pass or the like to park or camp. That description does fit our selected spot, so no matter what, we can still do up to 75 people in the same place, even with Covid restrictions. Yeah...it's complicated sometimes. We're starting to think a maximum of 75 people does avoid a lot of problems and gets around the Covid restrictions. (Or a possible permit cancellation.)

• Despite what you may believe, or have been told, we do NOT want Cooper Con 2021 to be a crash-and-burn. And yes, it is for our own selfish reasons. ¬¬ Frankly, we know we will make money on book sales if the convention is a success. So we don't want you guys to fail. This is why AB of Seattle offered to promote and otherwise support the event. But so far...if you are reading this now and are planning to be a part of all that...our offers have been ignored. 

• This ignoring of our offer(s) may not be a good idea on Cooperland's part. We have no way of knowing for sure, but we're *pretty sure* that EU probably isn't selling many tickets to the convention right now. And we wonder that if this continues, if he might cancel the whole thing if it comes to October and tickets still aren't selling. It costs a lot of money to rent the Kiggins Theater. We checked. It ain't cheap, and in order for Eric Ulis to pull this off, he's going to need a lot of in-advance ticket sales to finance it. Of course, there is always the possibility that EU has deep pockets and will pay for all that, even if only 50 or 60 people end up buying tickets. He may be willing to do that, we don't know. But if he can't do that, or is unwilling to spend that much money, then he needs some serious outside support...such as AB of Seattle going heavy on the idea that missing this convention is unthinkable for any NW DB Cooper fan. 

• Another factor is whether or not Covid will be 'beat' in Washington state by November. Maybe, maybe not. But if Clark County (Vancouver) is in either Phase 2 or 3 in November, then attendance would be restricted to either 25% (Phase 2) or 50% (Phase 3) of capacity for any indoor event, and that certainly won't help. In addition, a lot of folks might skip the convention just based on the fear alone of contracting Covid. Even though restaurants and other businesses are running at less than capacity, a lot of people are still avoiding gathering in groups due to their fears on Covid. They will do take out, but still don't trust sitting in restaurants. The whole thing just sucks, I'll admit. Here in Washington state, like other places, one of the BIG problems is that young people believe they are bulletproof and are refusing to get the vaccine. Some say they know friends who got sick, but they didn't die from Covid, and it was 'no big deal'. But the problem is that even though they may not get that sick...they are passing Covid to other people between the time they get infected, and when symptoms begin. Washington has already done a good job getting older people vaccinated, but like practically everywhere else, has had a hard time convincing younger people to do the same. 

• Instead of everyone fighting and posting up junk about others to pass the time, maybe it's time for everyone to think about the common good and how to make the convention a success. Remember...Adventure Books of Seattle gets to go first with the two main scheduled Cooper events for 2021. It's just you guys and us. Nobody else. We think you actually need us to help promote your event in November. Remember...you cannot really help us, even if you wanted to, although some positive online support would go a long way with us. We are aiming at a totally different audience and our event is scheduled just ten weeks from now. It would be good for all of you participating in the convention to cooperate with us so that we can promote the convention as well as we can. It could mean the difference between decent attendance at the convention, or outright embarrassment when you see a bunch of empty seats in the audience. We also know some of you are spending quite a bit of money just to attend in November, i.e. plane tickets, hotel costs, gasoline, food, etc. Even if Cooperland went full-blown, all-out in favor publicly of the July Cooper Party, it will make little difference on how many additional people show up for that. On the other hand, since it is still seven months until the convention and we have a much larger reach with the Cooper public than most of you...we could be the difference for you between success and failure. Alienating AB of Seattle is not your best move here. If Eric can't sell enough tickets prior to the event, he could even cancel the whole thing. With the Covid crisis going, and all these other factors, you guys need all the help you can get no matter where it comes from. 

Just saying...

• Our main proposal regarding the convention has been this:  We have offered to create a dedicated page at the main AB of Seattle site about the convention, with a link to the site selling the tickets. This page would enthusiastically encourage people to attend the convention and try to convince them how much fun they will have. 

• At the Cooper Party itself, no matter how it goes, we would also promote and encourage people to spread the word about the convention in November and convince them they cannot miss it. 

• Special articles on the convention would be created for the Quora Cooper Space and sent out to all our followers there. That's close to 3,000 people, and sometimes Quora staff will send out the more interesting posts to between 1,000-10,000 additional Quora members as well. And many of those people will re-share those articles with THEIR followers. Trust me, it's a real snowball sometimes. 

• WordPress article on the event, with the same links to tickets. 

• All of this would go on for the next seven months, even after we remove the two Party pages at AB of Seattle's main website. (No use recruiting for the Party once the party is over. Those pages will be removed.)

NOTE: If you want these things to happen, then you have to ask. And you have to be nice, not nasty. I don't believe that is much to ask for all that. Sure, you can just go on your own and maybe it works. Or maybe it doesn't. We've been all over the internet heavily about the Cooper Party since last November, and let me tell you that it hasn't been easy to even get the 66 people we have signed up for the party right now. Remember...our event is free and offers free food and hundreds of dollars in Amazon gift cards as prizes for the Cooper Lookalike contest, and still...it has been tough to squeak out attendees. You guys want a fairly hefty fee with much less advertising. Our opinion is that you will need some serious support to pull it off, ease peoples' possible fears, and fill those seats. 
Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
On 4/24/2021 at 11:16 AM, FLYJACK said:

Evidence indicates Cooper had aviation knowledge but not necessarily the 727. He had to have Tina show him how to lower the rear stairs and also thought the crew had control over the rear stairs. He got the range wrong.

We don't know if Cooper actually used the term "crew meals". The FBI files state that he requested or wanted crew meals not that he used the exact term. He may have, Cooper definitely had aviation experience.

He also used the term interphone which would also be pilot lingo. More likely cooper was a pilot in ww2 or Korean War as that’s what they called the comm system on the b-17 bombers. During the Jet age they used the term intercom when referring to the comm systems. He also said he had bennies (Benzedrine) to help keep the crew and pilots up if needed. Benzedrine is known for being used by fighter pilots in ww2 to keep them up on there missions. I don’t think Cooper was a commercial pilot but probably wanted to be. To me cooper has all the makings of a shot down fighter pilot in ww2. That would of gave him the experience and courage to attempt this daring caper. It also ties in nicely with the Dan Cooper comic. As major Dan Cooper was frequently shot down piloting aircrafts in the pages of tin tin. Now as far as coopers level of 727 expertise there is a case for and against it. Fly has done a good job pointing out the against let me make a case for the for. Cooper knew where the oxygen bottles were located on the 727 now maybe that’s nothing to special not sure, were all oxygen  bottles located in the same place on every plane regardless of the aircraft or did it vary depending on the AC? Cooper seemed to know a lot about the fueling of the 727. He knew the time it should take to fill er up and if you believe Loren Peterson who was working for nwo that night he also knew how you should fuel the plane for the configuration he requested which is basically flying what they called a dirty airplane. He requested a certain balance of the two fuel tanks. According to Loren the guys working freight for nwo that night were very impressed. Now this hasn’t been corroborated in any of the 302’s but LP seems credible to me and I don’t see any reason for him to lie. Another big thing for me is the fact that the pilot BR said himself he thought cooper knew what he was doing or as the kids say these days Cooper knew what’s up. Now probably the biggest thing for me  was his intel on the capabilities of the aft stairs. He knew that they could take off with them down and that they could be lowered while in the air. Cooper IMO had to be certain of this if not as 377 has said he would of been stepping into an aluminum jail cell. These two capabilities were unbeknownst to everybody on the ground at SeaTac. They also were concerned and unsure if you could fly the 727 dirty with the aft stairs down. They had to call one of the higher ups at Boeing Commercial Airplanes, a gentlemen by the name of Peter Gallimore. Who told them yes you could fly it safely that way. The whole Air America and SAT angle is nice but the only problem with that is if Cooper had knowledge of those air drops he would of known you could jump the plane but he would still have no idea about the operation of a commercial 727 aft stairwell as the moded 727 had the stairs removed and replaced with a sheet metal ramp that didn’t move or could be controlled. For my money if they had to call gallimore at Boeing then cooper had some advanced technical knowledge on the operational capabilities of those aft stairs and that to me trumps the against and puts me in the camp of cooper did have 727 expertise. 

Edited by NickyNorJack

12 hours ago, Coopericane said:

Thanks. This guy and the Shelton one are really interesting to me and I appreciate your previous write-up on them. Here's hoping we learn more about both of them in the future...

I and a few other guys are trying to identify these two people. If we can get their names... well, that'd be huge. We're hoping to find local sources in Shelton and in Egg Harbor.

• Like 1

(edited)
18 hours ago, Andrade1812 said:

I and a few other guys are trying to identify these two people. If we can get their names... well, that'd be huge. We're hoping to find local sources in Shelton and in Egg Harbor.

I know quite a few people in the Shelton, WA area. It was also the main stop for supplies when we were doing the Cooper Campouts in the Olympics. Back around the time of the hijacking, it was pretty much a village though. Now it's a city. 

I was pleased to be the very first guest on the Swamp Creek Legends podcast. Some DB Cooper stuff, but mostly questions about my adventures in the Cascades, (stranded for almost a month) and washed out into the Pacific Ocean for a few days near Ozette Island off the Olympic coast, (sheer foolishness on my part.) 

You can hear it here:  https://anchor.fm/swamp-creek-legends/episodes/When-the-Snow-Stops-evpeeq  It's an okay episode, but I think the creator needs to work on the sound stuff. My voice comes across heavy on the treble, while his was pretty good. 

Edit:  Guess the Cooper parts were cut from the podcast, but I'm okay with that. Done enough Cooper-related interviews anyway. 

Sometime over the next few days, we're going to delete the pages at AB of Seattle and other references regarding the July Cooper Party, and just go with the people on the list we have now. See what happens. The possible Covid restrictions have me a little spooked, and keeping attendance at 75 people or less sounds like a good idea to me. (Even if our permit got canceled due to Covid restrictions, we can still have up to 75 people without one.) Plus...we will undoubtedly get some drop-ins. That Forest Service road, that spot, that area, gets a lot of off road traffic in summer. I'm sure some people will happen along looking for a good spot to camp, and when they see all our stuff set up like that there, and other people already camped there, loud music and movies going, etc. it is bound to pique their curiosity. Plus, we're hanging a banner across the entrance spot anyway. Need to save some room for the drop ins. I also decided NOT to leave maps etc at the Greenwater Store. I think we have enough people. It just hasn't been any kind of normal year, that's for sure. 

Tried to send an email to Eric Ulis regarding his opinions on whether AB of Seattle and his planned convention should cooperate, at least to a degree...but I forgot that the email I have for him now goes to that spam website. No big deal. I'm sure he reads Dropzone. And I am not hard to find. If he wants this, he will contact me. If he doesn't, I can live with that as well. Up to him. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

1 hour ago, Coopericane said:

Hey guys, there is a new dump of FBI files today, not on the main archive page yet but I noticed the old urls changed, and sure enough changing one to https://vault.fbi.gov/D-B-Cooper /d.b.-cooper-part-58-of-58/view will take you right to it. I wonder if there is anything noteworthy to be found...

A few quick takeaways:

• A payphone at Struggle Mountain is mentioned. This was a neighborhood in the hills above Los Angeles. Your more well-to-do types and 'hippies' often hung up there. Joan Baez had a home there at one time. 
  • Sounds like stews Mucklow and Schaffner were shown photos of at least two suspects and said they weren't Cooper. 
  • Near the end there are a few references to someone who wanted to come forward as Cooper. I'm pretty sure this has to do with the scam those two guys tried pulling on that reporter for the now-defunct Seattle Flag magazine. They were later tried in Federal court for fraud, etc. and convicted. 
  • One of the problems with these FBI releases is that they are so heavily redacted as to be nearly useless most of the time. Almost all relevant addresses, names, and phone numbers are blanked out. 

(edited)

This might be of interest... I think it's implied that the Egg Harbor guy worked at Braniff International Airlines from April 1965 to July 1965... resigned for "personal reasons", but there's another possible reason (?) redacted. I am pretty sure it's the guy because the timeline matches up with his employment records from the last 302s as well as mentioning the same field group. 

Might be more about this guy in there, it's so redacted it's hard to know who is being talked about though, I was just able to make the connection here because of luck.

*I confused United Airlines and Braniff International Airlines, the EHS guy seems to have worked for the latter - my bad entirely. 

Here are the FBI pages in question -
The Egg Harbor suspect's redacted employment history as seen in batch #57, pgs 27 & 28:2051077409_DB1.JPG.502a22a3852abcca6178dd0d63279a78.JPG

1844193250_DB2.JPG.7b86cb07ca5e7f1b64b34c8322613a2b.JPG

And then the new bit in the latest release (#58, pg 12) I found that I thought was interesting: 1289890680_DB3.JPG.d7d1e38325aa83808126ace27daafb20.JPG

It looks like a match to me for the first list on the EHS' employment history.

Edited by Coopericane
  • Like 1

(edited)

I've sometimes wondered about Geoff Gray's source for the FBI Cooper files he released. He said he had more of them, but when he formed True Ink magazine he sort of got out of the Cooper business and no more of them were made public. But I've always wondered where in the heck he got them. THIS IS THE LINK to his first and only release of the files. It says you have to sign up, but you just scroll down and you can read them page by page anyway with no redactions. 

That was about five years ago, but since that time Gray has focused more on the True Ink concept, which includes contests, interaction with members of True Ink. It's sort of complicated. ¬¬

Late Edit: Greg the Techie Guy advised me to wait on deleting the Cooper Party pages at the AB website. (Don't forget to check the FAQ page, too.) He says 'give it more time and wait and see how the Covid thing is going in a few weeks'. So okay, we will leave it up. Inquiries are coming in maybe 2-3 per week. Greg says he thinks inquiries will pick up as the date of the party gets closer. Maybe he's right. Monthly update to our email lists, both the VIP list and the private one, goes out tomorrow. Meanwhile, I am starting to work on the informational PDF, which is a document you print up with pictures and information about the party. I will send out one version to our VIP list that includes our phone numbers in case anyone has questions, and one without the numbers to the public list. They can have the numbers and contact info once (if) we finalize this event. As you probably know, that decision gets made on or around June 5th, about a month prior to the party. 

Tried getting a banner printed up and found out it's expensive for the size of one we want. It was suggested to me to just go to Amazon and get a big vinyl banner with grommets in white, and blank. And then use stencils to do the lettering. This is about 20% or less of the cost of a pre-printed banner, which can only be used once anyway. Unless I am still living in Washington in summer 2022, another Cooper Party is unlikely. Anyone involved in this year's Cooper Con 2021 who believes AB of Seattle should be supporting that convention should get hold of me personally prior to the July event. If nobody does by then, we will just figure you don't need our help. If it is 'we don't WANT your help,' that won't hurt my feelings. I don't go where I'm not wanted, as the saying goes. ¬¬ I can't attend the convention personally, but neither do I wish you guys failure. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

As some of you know already, part of the Cooper Party consists of music, dancing, and the infamous DB Cooper Character Lookalike Contest on Saturday night. What we did for that was to load a virtual ton of music videos for the big screen and played through the stereo system. This is one of them. We're totally nuts for sure, but our main goal is to ensure people have fun if they manage to make it there in July. B)

(edited)

Bruce Smith at Mountain News, a scheduled speaker at this November's Cooper Con 2021, posts up an article about the upcoming convention. All well and good and everyone at AB of Seattle wishes them well. 

However...Bruce's post...which will undoubtedly be read by many potential attendees over the next seven months...already has more than FIFTY negative comments to it, mostly pointed toward myself personally, or AB of Seattle, even Greg the Techie Guy, who is partially financing this year's Cooper Party in July. 

Here is the latest comment at Mountain News:

"All good points, and accurate, Johnnie. Skipp Porteous was furious the way Blevins wrote Into the Blast. No evidence presented, whatsoever. A couple of interviews with some hicks and hillbillies in WA state. Geoff Gray knew the Christianson fable was about to to be exposed by the media and the FBI. Blevins only accelerated it with poor writing, poor investigation, and a yarn nobody believes. Porteous must have wondered why he ever got tangled up with the janitor from Auburn. And what with these psychotic camping requests for Cooper enthusiasts. It’s sounds pretty creepy, and not something for underage kids to be attending. Lots of photo shopping by Blevins and lots of pictures of himself……by himself. Not one photo of Blevins with anyone else. Not even his boyfriend Greg. Anyone can be a liar. But Blevins does it like an amateur hoping if he tells the lie often enough, some suckers will believe him. So far, there have been no takers..."

This kind of thing is going to end up being the demise of the Cooper Convention planned for this year. It's been suggested to me that all of these comments (some are far worse) be sent as a PDF document to the same people who are either hosting, sponsoring, appearing as speakers, or providing a venue for this event. Bruce has received two emails already from me about this situation, warning him that allowing hundreds of comments like that constitute nothing less than internet bullying, which these days is not looked upon well by most folks. I say hundreds because by mid-summer that will be an accurate number, since Bruce continues allowing all these comments to his website. He has ignored the emails I sent and allowed the comments to continue. I have suggested to Bruce that he remove ALL negative comments from the same article where he PROMOTES the convention, before he ends up with hundreds of shit comments for the public to see in the months prior to the convention. These things do not hurt us, but they will put people off for sure. That means possible attendees, sponsors, speakers, and damn near everyone involved. These comments haven't the slightest effect on us, but they will end up causing a crash and burn for the convention itself.

In fact, at this point I may not be able to stop certain people from taking action about this issue anyway. Some people working with us on the Cooper Party are seeing Bruce's non-action on this issue (it's his website, after all) as an indicator that the convention itself is a farce and populated by phonies only trying to squeeze twenty bucks a seat out of people.

Or...that the same people hosting and appearing at this convention are sponsors of hatred and lies. Whether actively, or without realizing it. 

We also know that virtually ALL the comments are coming from people either scheduled to appear at the convention, or supporters of the convention over at Dave Brown's DB Cooper Forum. If you guys are trying to shoot yourselves in the foot, or give easy ammunition to be used against the convention, you are making it way too easy. Is this what you want? The party in July is going to happen whether you like it or not. You can't stop it. You can't change it no matter how much filth you post. On the other hand, this filth can easily be used against YOU to show the public you are a bunch of phonies and gladly support hatred hand-over-fist. 

Here are a list of people who would not like it if their names were associated with this convention, if these people believe that the comments are coming from the same people involved IN the convention:

Your sponsors, like the Northwest Escape Room in Vancouver. Mary Fryar, the retired FBI agent you have scheduled to appear. The staff of the Kiggins Theater itself. Captain Scott's daughter. Many others. We don't even think Eric Ulis would go along with what Bruce is doing, since Eric is the one footing much of the bill for the convention. 

It is pointless for you guys at the Peanut Gallery to continue doing these things. You aren't going to stop or even slow down our plans for the Cooper Party, and sixty filthy comments (so far) shows us that you simply have a hate agenda going. Knock it off before you end up trashing your entire event, or cause few people to want to show up in November. As I have said a few times now, Adventure Books of Seattle supports this convention because we believe ANY event on Cooper benefits us as well. After the last convention, our book sales took a jump and basically stayed there. Now I wonder if we made a mistake by supporting this one. 

I suggested to Bruce that if he just can't help himself, if his hatred for us is that profound, he would be smart to delete those comments from the same article where he PROMOTES THE CONVENTION, and have the Peanut Gallery post up all the hatred they wish on another article. ^_^

No matter what happens now, one thing is for sure. If Cooper Con ends up with a bunch of empty seats, or gets canceled completely...you won't be able to blame it on me this time. B)

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

I edited the above post a few times, because I thought it was important to get it straight for you guys. 

Why you allow a scheduled speaker to host such things is beyond my understanding. Sometimes you have to do a little self-policing in Cooperland for the common good. Not my job. I already have one. YOUR job. 

Unless you wish to see everything you have worked for undermined and trashed because one guy can't control his own website, and has the common sense God gave a goat. ¬¬

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

Seems like the folks over at Bruce Smith's Mountain News aren't getting the hint. I saw this post today and decided to reply, but I think the bottom line here is that AB of Seattle no longer supports Cooper Con 2021, and we have already said so (and why) over at Facebook and some other venues. With more to follow at the usual outlets. The whole thing is populated by phonies and haters and we will have no part of encouraging people to dish out twenty bucks of their hard-earned money to support such people. The comment kind of rambles on a bit, so I split it up to make it easier to understand. 

"This guy who calls himself a publisher, book editor, and web producer at some obscure business site called Adventure Books of Seattle……..telling other legitimate online publishers (Mountain News/DB Cooper Forum) to halt their online comments? LOL. Ever hear of the First Amendment and free speech, you idiot? You sound disgruntled because you have no control over the comments or postings at Bruce and Dave’s sites..."

Robert says: Sure, I believe in free speech. But if you are going to engage in hatred and lies, which yes...IS covered under the First Amendment, then you should expect some folks might also reply with the truth. That's First Amendment stuff, too. B) If you post up more than sixty (and counting) lies about people, you have to expect it's going to put some people off. Especially anyone who may be planning on attending CC21. Trust me. It's going to put them OFF. I am already getting messages and emails about it. NONE of them support you. 

"You have been banned for life at those sites because of your threats, nastiness, and unwelcomed speech at these privately run sites..."

Robert says: Being banned from sites that condone the spread of hatred and outright lies about people is like being banned from paying a bill at the cable company, yet the cable keeps working. You get used to it pretty quickly, and then you realize it's a bonus. Seems like when anyone comes onto to those sites with the truth, they stand a chance of being banned anyway. It's no big deal. To be fair, the vast majority of lies and hateful posts have been coming from Mountain News, the site of a scheduled speaker for CC21, not the DB Cooper Forum. I think Dave Brown finally had enough of the discord, and I give him credit for that. 

"No one comes to your internet sites, or your campouts because no one likes you. Do you understand that?"

Robert says: You are living in La La Land. The main AB of Seattle site gets traffic aplenty, my account at Quora shows over 4 million views in a mere four years to all of the content I have contributed there, much of it Cooper-related. Our Quora Space on D.B. Cooper has 2,000 followers and counting. (Quora is the famous Question and Answer website, and 4.2 million views is better than both Bruce's and Dave's site COMBINED in the same time period.) WordPress Cooper does five figures a month in visits to the 55 articles on the Cooper case. Into The Blast, our book on Cooper, is the second biggest seller worldwide of any Cooper book, with Geoff Gray's Skyjack in first place. Our Cooper Campouts in the Olympics have all been successful...except for the one we tried to do down by Mount Hood in Oregon. No one wanted to drive that far. :/ Have I brought you to the Reality Hotel yet? 

"And hearing it on good authority, if you continue to berate and interfere with CC21 in any way, you will be faced with lawsuits against your business, and you personally. Go weep at the DZ, moron."

Robert says: No one is 'berating' you. I said that if the same people who are speaking, appearing, and supporting CC21 want to keep posting up hatred and lies, I'm going to have a few things to say about that. For one thing, if you are trying to put on a professional event, and are asking more than twenty bucks a seat...the engaging in lies and hatred by the same people supporting that event is downright dumb. As far as lawsuits, I am not worried about that. Everyone on the internet threatens everyone else on the internet with one lawsuit or another. I was even guilty of it once. I couldn't care less. What is more important is making sure the public understands the nature of *some* of the people involved in CC21. 'Interfering' is one thing. Reporting is another. You guys have shown yourselves for what you are. And there was no reason for you to do all these things. That's the really tragic part. We were prepared to support CC21 in full, even financially to a degree, and with heavy (free) advertising. You trashed that opportunity because you couldn't stop the name-calling and the lies. And yes, I think the media, the public, and anyone involved with that convention should be made aware of these things. It's only May. How much more will you guys add on to Mountain News with Bruce's support...until it reaches the point where you turn everybody off who reads that crap...even your other speakers and sponsors? I keep wondering what Eric Ulis thinks about this situation, since he's the one mainly financing (except some by his sponsors) the whole event? He may or may not like me personally, but I can't see him being happy about it.  

Face it. You and a few people talk a big game regarding the convention, but you have acted unprofessionally. 

Currently we now have 71 people signed for the Cooper Party, which is more than I thought we might get due to the Covid crisis. That's not bad considering we're asking people to drive to hell and gone just to attend. And we still have another five weeks until the cutoff date. My money says attendance to THAT will be far better than anything done by the haters and liars surrounding the soiree in Vancouver this November. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling about this one. You really should have given yourselves every opportunity available, but your hatred and continual lies got in the way. 

You could still fix this, and Do The Right Thing as Spike Lee once said. Even if you didn't want anything to do with the July Cooper Party event, which is okay, there was no need for you to come after everything and everyone around here on a personal basis, and tell mass lies along the way. But I see you as a basically stubborn bunch who would rather fail than admit you were wrong. You will have to live with that. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
36 minutes ago, MartinBaker said:

Has anyone ever interviewed, or even identified by name, the F-106 pilot(s) who gave chase to the 727 the night of the hijacking?

According to a member of the F-106 Delta Dart group on Facebook, the lead pilot was Capt. Frank Loesch and the wingman was Capt. Roy Allen Keyt. 

Frank Loesch may be still alive. It was reported that he had intended to retire to Texas. There is a Frank Mae Loesch, aged about 87, listed in the white pages for Galveston, Texas. Roy Keyt died in a mid-air collision on 03.03.1992.

To the best of my knowledge, they were never interviewed.

Edited by DFS346
additional information

1 hour ago, DFS346 said:

According to a member of the F-106 Delta Dart group on Facebook, the lead pilot was Capt. Frank Loesch and the wingman was Capt. Roy Allen Keyt. 

Frank Loesch may be still alive. It was reported that he had intended to retire to Texas. There is a Frank Mae Loesch, aged about 87, listed in the white pages for Galveston, Texas. Roy Keyt died in a mid-air collision on 03.03.1992.

To the best of my knowledge, they were never interviewed.

Very cool, thanks.  I contacted the F-106 Association and was told they didn't know who the pilots were.

Maybe I'll give him a call. 

(edited)

A retired USAF colonel responded to my enquiry on the F-106 Delta Dart group. I think that he will not mind if I share his recollections, as follows:

"Though a squadron pilot with the 318th the night of Flight 305, I like all of my squadron mates were at a formal dining-in at the McChord Officers Club.  We heard of course that our alert aircraft has been scrambled and subsequently learned that they were training a commercial aircraft that has been hijacked.  Frankly, we hadn’t ever heard to that point of an aircraft hijacking.  We subsequently learned of the DB Cooper connection in the days that followed. 

I do recall that the weather that evening was awful!  It was one of the Northwest’s better storms and I recall discussing our concern for our alert pilots having to fly on such an evening. 

...  My recollection was that one of our majors, Frank Loesch was leading the flight, but can’t recall who the other pilot might have been. [DFS346: another source identified that pilot as Roy Allen Keyt.]

I know too how much difficulty they had trailing the commercial airliner because of how slow it was flying.  The F-106 did not like speeds below 200 knots.  Any alerion movement below that speed would likely lead to a stall and subsequent spin.  Very bad in that kind of weather and as low to the ground as they apparently were.  Judge they probably had to have their gear down to stay safely behind 305.  Having the gear down greatly reduced the possibility of the stall-spin scenario,

Judge you are aware that after that evening we held an annual DB dining-in for many years to come…proving there’s a silver lining in most things.

Wish I could provide more detail at present but the memories are not as clear as they once were.  I’ve also not been in contact with any of my squadron mates in the years since so can’t at present connect with them for more detail." 

Re-reading this, I note that the two pilots were majors (not captains) at the time.

Edited by DFS346
additional information