piper17

Beaver in Deland

Don't know who this one belonged to but it was in Deland during the winter of '78-79.

I enjoyed a brief romantic interlude in this aircraft late one evening....
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

I jumped out of a yellow/orange beaver in the mid to late 70's
at Seneca Falls NY..
for a while there was a blue/black beaver that operated there owned by Howie martin..

then a guy from the syracuse Ny area, had this yellow one.....his name was bobby Grandinetti... they jumped at a place called central square,,, near Syracuse...

some of those folks did go south each winter...
NOT sure if this is the same plane though...

we were in Bobby's plane on the occasion of John King's ( Kinger from Finger lakes) 1000th jump..... and at 3 grand the radial engine poured oil,,, all over the windshield and fuselage.. we had to get out low.....
Only time I EVER had to leave a plane due to aircraft emergency... Many of the RW lovers on that load STILL wanted to "try the 10 way"......
for kinger!!!!!!!!!!
hahaha cooler heads prevailed, all jumpers and the plane landed safely..

jimmy

hardcore fan of,,, " Howie's Hummers".....:o;):)

As I recall, this Beaver was down south from somewhere in New York state and some of the NY jumpers had come on down as well.

... ok well there you go , then.......
must be that traveling by car or van.... was tooo FAST for them,,,, and they wanted to
"Take the scenic route"...:DB|;)

not sure what ever happened with that plane..

jmy
A 3914
4 stack 930

We still jump out of a Beaver at Skydive Twincities. I have quite a few jumps out of it and about 600 hours flying it. In fact I flew it about a month ago.

Doug

Lovely airplane to fly. Radial Engines just sound like an airplane engine is supposed to sound.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

yep same one. Skydive twin cities is at baldwin, new owners.

Tandem student's think it's just for show. Their face's are priceless when we tell them they will be jumping out of it and the engines are back firing and smoke spiting out when they start it.

yep same one. Skydive twin cities is at baldwin, new owners.

Tandem student's think it's just for show. Their face's are priceless when we tell them they will be jumping out of it and the engines are back firing and smoke spiting out when they start it.

Thanks for the photo. My wife used to be part owner and fly it. I like to tell people my wife had a 450 horsepower beaver.

:$

It is currently owned by the infamous Mike Hayden (AKA Bubba haze) He's a 747-400 captain for NWA. Up until about 9 years he was partners with Dave Mills (also a 400 captain for NWA). They sold the DZ, the Twin Otter and there two 182's about 9 years ago and Hayden bought Mills out of his half of the Beaver. The Beaver still flies at Skydive Twincities, formerly Baldwin Sport Parachute Center in Baldwin Wisconsin about 50 minutes East of Minneapolis.

Doug