Guru312

Am I still a skydiver?

I'm in the same boat, so I'm glad to hear the replies. As a former AF fighter pilot, we used to say that being a fighter pilot was a state of mind. There are fighter pilots who don't fly fighters, and people who fly fighters that aren't fighter pilots. I think it's the same here. We all know whuffos who happened to jump out of airplanes, and we know skydivers who only had 10 jumps at the time we got to know them.

My daughter is 19 now; I haven't jumped since 1985, but I'd like to be on the same load she is when she makes her first. I'm wondering how fast it'll come back. Is AFF still an option?
Jimmy Juicer
SCR 4181, SCS 1978, NSCR 791, ACE 63

Don't fret, sure you're a "SKYDIVER!!!!"

OK!!! Coming from one of real Olde Men of the sky this makes me feel good.

Jeesh...you maybe older than I am. :(

My daughter will be 15 in a month. The local DZ says she can't jump until 18 for legal reasons even though the state allows jumping by 16 year olds. So I have 3 years to wait.

I'm gonna be filming that jump for sure.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Back in '86, after my double malf wreck....a friend
wrote in my logbook "the skydives may end, but the skydiver lives on". Always appreciated that sentiment.
I live near an Air Force base. They have several
vintage aircraft on display. In the few moments it takes to drive past the DC-3 or B-18, my heart will end up in my throat. My mind can hardly hold the flood of memories....kind'a hurts.....but it hurts so good!:)

Guru,

You are still a skydiver, grandfathered in for sure. It's easier than you think to get current again. I did it without formal AFF. The new gear (especially the canopies) makes the good old days seem like a nightmare.

Even if you don't jump again, your full blown participation in the early days of the sport gives you lifetime skydiver status in my book.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

in reply to " It almost makes me cry with nostalgia to drive by Cross Keys and see the canopies. Or even to hear the whine of a Cessna 182 simply flying overhead on a nice jump day. It amazes me what memories rush forward simply hearing a Beech or a DC-3. [I don't hear enough of them!] "

Just wondering Guru but why don't you still do the odd jump ?

It's been my experience that long term skydivers (and there must be zillions out there somewhere with their old rigs under their beds ) are the best influence to be found in the sport.

Recently i attended a Xmas boogie and there were two or three faces from twenty odd years ago around the fire . These guys could actually tell a story and communicate with strangers not just talk about how awesome they were.!
It was a wonderful thing to experiecne again.

So much of the current breed seem to be all about themselves and selling themselves and big-noting themselves and snobbing off others , it was truly heartening to be reminded how selfless most old-time skydivers used to be .

Please get ye back to a DZ you oldies (meant with the best respect ) and show us how caring and multi faceted our sport can be .
Its gone and got a bit cold hearted what with all the money to be made by so called professionals.
Too many little exclusive private parties not enough inclusiveness.
Is that why you all stay away?

Just wondering Guru but why don't you still do the odd jump ?

I transitioned from fun jumper into JM/I and DZO and then gypsy jump pilot. It's hard to go back making an occasional jump.

My daughter wants to jump when she's 18 which is in three years. I'll get current by then so I can jump with her.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

I'm in the same boat, so I'm glad to hear the replies. As a former AF fighter pilot, we used to say that being a fighter pilot was a state of mind. There are fighter pilots who don't fly fighters, and people who fly fighters that aren't fighter pilots. I think it's the same here. We all know whuffos who happened to jump out of airplanes, and we know skydivers who only had 10 jumps at the time we got to know them.

My daughter is 19 now; I haven't jumped since 1985, but I'd like to be on the same load she is when she makes her first. I'm wondering how fast it'll come back. Is AFF still an option?[/repl

You shouldn't have to do AFF. That probably depends on what DZ you go to though. I took twenty years off and then I went to a reunion boogie. I had no intention of ever jumping again.

All my old Pals were there. A good friend also owned the DZ. I got about 20 minutes of training on emergency procedures and how to fly a square. I'd jumped a para-plane a couple times back in the old days, but most all of my other jumps had been on para-commanders.

I went out and fell base for a five way. Everything went perfect. Believe me, you still will be able to fall stable. You never forget something like that. I never would have jumped again, if I had to lay out thousands of dollars to do AFF and completely retrain from scratch. I had 300 jumps under my belt from back in the 70's.

My daughter turned 18 a few months later, and I was able to go up in the same plane for her first tandem. I wasn't experienced enough to swoop it.

Safety is a big factor in returning to the sport. I probably shouldn't have been allowed to go out on a five way after all those years off. But then again I'm glad they let me do it. I loved every second of it.....

in reply to "I transitioned from fun jumper into JM/I and DZO and then gypsy jump pilot. It's hard to go back making an occasional jump. My daughter wants to jump when she's 18 which is in three years. I'll get current by then so I can jump with her. "

Sounds like a top plan bloke.
It also sounds like you've got to spend more time in the air than most fun jumpers ever would. Its good to see skydivers that get organised enough to take it to the next level.
Cheers

Because of various problems (none related to landing under rounds) I don't jump anymore. I do do the tunnels and I love it.

BUT...

When I get to the DZ, there is an indescribable feeling that comes over me that only a Skydiver and understand. I can close my eyes and see the jump ship fly away as I settle into terminal, look for the rest of the formation and set up to dock. I still feel the rush as I track away and set up to open. The last turn onto final and the standup in the packing area (yeah, I'm still jumping rounds, but they're my memories).

Anybody who asks the questions you ask, never needs to worry...
You'll always be a Skydiver... Just like me.

Blue Skies, Brother

I also had a 20 yr. layoff, and one weekend found myself going out at 10 grand with a jumpmaster after a through briefing. Returning to the sky was a big moment in my life. You are a skydiver, and if you return to the sky or not, you are one of us. Good luck.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.