steve1

When did wearing a sky diving patch go out of fashion.?

Maybe I spent too many years in the Boy Scouts, but I kind of miss the old days when you could pick out a really salty skydiver by the number and kind of patchs he had on his jump suit. Back in the early 70's an experienced jumper usually had an SCR, an SCS, and maybe a night SCR, if you were really good.

It seemed like most everyone was a relative worker back then. (At least in our club).

About the mid 70's I started seeing an occaisional 16-way patch. About the only patch you see now days is one that says 300 way, or World Team. I guess wearing an SCR or SCS patch now days would tell everyone, that you really are a green horn, aren't you.

I quit jumping in about 75, and came back in about 2000. So when did wearing patches go out of style?....Steve1

When all the hippies quit jumping, patches were used to cover the holes in them hippie clothes.:P

Now days it's only cool if your a walking advertisement for your sponsors or your one of the last old hippies still sporting them, not many left these days but there are a few around still.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Guess you haven't seen any members of sponsored teams lately; they've got more patches than NASCAR drivers.

HW

I don't get out much. My wife keeps me locked up in the basement most of the time. But I have noticed this going on with Rodeo cowboys. Back in the old days they all just wore a western shirt. Now the best cowboys look more like walking billboards.

As far as hippies wearing patches...That's exactly how I remember it. The good news is that most all of us are clean cut "Old Farts" today....I'd let my hair grow, but most of it has already fallen out.

I've got a few old pictures and a story coming out (hopefully in next month's Parachutist) which shows a bunch of hippies with patches. I'm the only clean cut one of the bunch, The only patch I had way back then, said skydiver on it, so I guess that sums up my experience level at the time....Steve1

The good news is that most all of us are clean cut "Old Farts" today....I'd let my hair grow, but most of it has already fallen out.

Yea and the only bar I go to these days had lettuce and tomatos, but I have to have my glasses on to see um.;)

As far as hippies wearing patches...That's exactly how I remember it.

You could be only one of a hand full who's mind is not fogged from all the bong hits.:)

I've got a few old pictures and a story coming out (hopefully in next month's Parachutist)

Cool I'll be on the lookout for it.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Mark Hamm in Mt Vernon Mo is making some really cool "modern" patches.. he has a web site called flying loom and has posted here as freethefly i think..
Do a search and check it out, he has also made me some custom patches that are just awesome.
Like John, I got tired of taking the patches off my suit, so I place them on my gear bag!
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

John, I've made quite a few jumps with you from 90-96 at Spaceland and then Waller. And I can safely say you are not "normal." But then normal people don't have nearly as much fun as we do, do they? BSBD

I skydive, hike & camp, canoe and shoot guns. You mean everyone doesn't do that? ;) Yeah, maybe that's not normal. But what is? Sitting on the couch watching football? Bowling? Blech! If that's normal, then I'm happy to be abnormal. I want to be outdoors doing things, not sitting on a couch watching other people doing things on TV.

Mark Frye... Hmmm... That name rings a bell, but I can't put a face to you in my brain. Were you ever on "The Cull" 20-way team? Got a photo to jog my memory?

I skydive, hike & camp, canoe and shoot guns. You mean everyone doesn't do that? reply]

Hell, that sounds really normal to me. Life wouldn't be any fun at all if you couldn't do things like that....Steve1

Hey, you two O L D * G U Y S ! :o

Just so I know when it's coming, a what point in time does doin' the "fun bag face slap with a bevy of gutter sluts" fall so far behind sitting in a freaking CANOE....... that it doesn't even make the list?! :S

:P:P:P

~ "Pack Fast, Pull Low... and Date Your Riggers WIFE!" ~

Hey, you two O L D * G U Y S ! :o

Just so I know when it's coming, a what point in time does doin' the "fun bag face slap with a bevy of gutter sluts" fall so far behind sitting in a freaking CANOE....... that it doesn't even make the list?! :S

:P:P:P

That's one of the fun things that I forgot to put on our list. When you get to be about 95 I imagine you might lose interest in that sort of thing.....Steve1

the "fun bag face slap"

Ya know, when ya put it THAT way.....I'm NEVER getting in a CANOE!:P

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure what a "fun bag face slap" is. After giving it a lot of thinking, (which isn't easy for some of us old farts), I'm still wondering if it should be on my list of fun things to do....Steve1:S

E V E R ! :ph34r:

Maybe it depends upon with whom you are sitting in the canoe.

For you younger "Sky Puppies" out there, in the late 60's and early 70's the SCR, SCS etc patches were badges of honor particularly east of the Rockies. Here are some examples of patches from the old days......yes, I collect them when I find good ones. Particularly military parachute teams.

If you got `em, show `em
You haven't lived until you've almost died"

Those are "Groovy Man". :)Those are "Far Out Man"
Those are "Hip Man"
Those are "Cool Man"
Those are " Narly Dude"
Those are " You Know Man"
Those are "Like, Ok,You Know What I Mean, Man"

Ok, I quess I'm showing my age here, huh? Seen it all through the years, [:/].
I still like the look of patches on a jumpsuit! They are just Groovy Man!;)
Here's to Old Farts in the Wind!

can i change the question.. when did skydiving patches come into fashion? was it about the same time that patches everywhere (like peace and happy face and "love" patches on jeans) became fashionable? maybe skydiving patches went out of fashion when patches in general went out of fashion??
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.