RogerRamjet

Looking for Z-Hills Cessna 196 Pictures (70's)

Hey all, I'm looking for photographs that might include the Cessna 196 that Z-Hills owned during the '70s. The aircraft served as a skydiving plane for quite a long time and has now found its way into the hands of a private owner who is restoring her to her old glory. He is most interested in the aircraft's history and I thought a post here might help.

I have a ton of jumps from it. As I remember it, it was gray when I first started there in 1973. Sometime around mid 74 or so, it was stripped down to bare metal and polished. Then at a later time, it was painted with the rainbow Z-Hills logo colors that the C-47 also shared.

Here is a link to a shot that Jim Hooper sent me recently of both aircraft: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/gallery/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Personal_Galleries/RogerRamjet/Blast_from_the_Past&image=C47andC196.jpg&img=&tt=

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Are you referring the the Cessna 190 that was re-engined with a Pratt and Whitney R-985 engine (and a three-blade propeller) out of a Twin Beech?
It was featured in National Parachute advertisements during the early 1980s, specifically ads featuring Shooby Suits.

I might have some pictures, but I know I have some video footage (converted from 8mm film) which includes the 196, the L-10E, etc.

If I can figure the best place to post it (I've got several possible sites for it), I can put up a short clip, at least for a while.

HW

That would be terrific! I have tons of jumps from both, maybe I'm in your films (I doubt it, but who knows).

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

Are you referring the the Cessna 190 that was re-engined with a Pratt and Whitney R-985 engine (and a three-blade propeller) out of a Twin Beech?
It was featured in National Parachute advertisements during the early 1980s, specifically ads featuring Shooby Suits.

Hmmm, it was certainly a re-engined aircraft, but I thought it was a 195 refitted with a 450hp engine like the ones in the L10E. They also replaced the wing at one time as I recall.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

Hmmm, it was certainly a re-engined aircraft, but I thought it was a 195 refitted with a 450hp engine like the ones in the L10E. They also replaced the wing at one time as I recall.

Hi Roger,

It was the one with Shoobie in the National ads. I believe the engine was a PW-985, the same as in a Twin Beech. Not sure if it was in the L-10E. I always logged it as a C-196 because I was told that was it designation with the bigger engine. I have heard of 8 ways out of it! It could take 5 jumpers to 13,500 as fast as any Super Otter, it is a great airplane!!! I have lots of sunrise jumps that Val Thal flew where we took off just before sunrise, watched the sun rise as we climbed, watched the sun set as we were in freefall, and after landing watched the sun rise again! Two sun rises and sun sets in one day, how cool!!!

Jack

Roger, Jack, Howard and Rob

The 196 (N4395N) was one of four 195s modified with a 450hp P&W R-985 for an aerial survey company in 1947. Yes, it is the same engine found on the Twin Beech (the L10E carried R-1340s). As far a carrying capacity, I was on the first, and possibly only, eight-man out of it. With all but two people wearing gutter gear, it was a little cramped, but she carried us quite happily to 12,5.
95N went to a DZ in south Florida, where she ended up on her back after a landing mishap. She is now completely restored and the following lists her specs:

N4395N trues out at 155 kts, checked on every leg so far.
GPH is around 20 to 21. (Actually, she cruises on MONEY, and lots of it. Only went over budget so far by 50 g's. Ouch, but seems well worth it on climb out.)
Range is 3+30 with an IFR reserve. That's about 540 nm.
Log books have 17,000 hours on em, most of the airframe is NEW.
Has been to 27,000 feet while aerial survey of the Rockies.
The company who converted, did four of them, only two survive, mine and Richard Porters.
The number 196 comes from a discussion between the company pilots and mechanics, while consuming many adult beverages. They detirmined it was better than a 195. So 195 + one better = 196. The next day the pilots came to work to find that the mechanics had stenceled 196 on the side. There was also a placard installed, but only temporarily, that said "Made in Disenyland, by Mickey Mouse" The survey company owner was not amused by the placard.
The last 30 years of her working life were as a JUMP plane, which turned her into a JUNK plane. She was ready for the beer can factory. Oh well it only take money!
Calvin Arter, Jr.

Hooper: the owner contacted me after I posted the photo on http://www.cessna195.org/ and asked for any photos and background. If anyone can accommodate him, I'm sure he'd be very grateful.
Hoop

O.K. I've found the footage of N4395N. It is basically silver (i.e. basic aluminum) fusilage with red cowling, wingtips, and stripes.
The same chunk of film also has the C-46, several DC3s, and a Lodestar (believe it's Sweet's).
The team pictured dirt diving and boarding is Pieces of Eight, from Massachusetts. It's from either '73 or '74.
I'll clean it up a bit and put it on a site in the next day or so -- it'll probably be a 15mb or so download.
Haven't found any stills yet, but still looking.

HW

O.K. I've found the footage of N4395N. It is basically silver (i.e. basic aluminum) fusilage with red cowling, wingtips, and stripes.
The same chunk of film also has the C-46, several DC3s, and a Lodestar (believe it's Sweet's).
The team pictured dirt diving and boarding is Pieces of Eight, from Massachusetts. It's from either '73 or '74.
I'll clean it up a bit and put it on a site in the next day or so -- it'll probably be a 15mb or so download.
Haven't found any stills yet, but still looking.

HW

I can't wait to see that! I believe the only year we had a C-46 at the Turkey meet was 1975, but could be wrong about that...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

I dont recall aC-195 as having straight cowling like the photos show. That to me made it a C-190, The round curving cowling with the protruding rocker cover clearance caps made it a C-195. I jumped the one a Z-Hills in 1969, And was also told then the196 designation was a hoax.Nobody wanted to sit sideways in the like C-206U exit unless your jump suit was ready for a wash any. There was a clear line as to how much was hanging out.Some guy that flew it signed my log book "sporting Tuna # 1

I can't wait to see that! I believe the only year we had a C-46 at the Turkey meet was 1975, but could be wrong about that...

O.K., it's here.
This brings up a page with the QuickTime movie; you can play it from the page, and when it's through, you can click the triangle at lower right of the QuickTime bar to save it to your drive. (~15 mb)
Just scraps of movies thrown together in a hurry; no sound, no titles, no fancy transitions. Not guaranted to be there forever, if I need the space for something else.

HW

Nobody wanted to sit sideways in the like C-206U exit unless your jump suit was ready for a wash any. There was a clear line as to how much was hanging out.

I heard stories like this off and on and worried a bit about it. But, with literally hundreds of jumps from this aircraft in a canary yellow jumpsuit, I never had an oil problem. I think the main time to keep clear is during start up (on all radials really).

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

Rick -
This is the only snap I have of the L10E, taken the day the Ten High Bunch were setting off for Tahlequah and the first 10-man championships, where we took second to Jerry Bird's All Stars. Kneeling from left: Terry Maznio, Mike 'Mr Rumpson' Patterson, Dennis Glaves;
Standing: Billy 'Yossarian' Revis, Phil 'Foul' Smith, Tony 'Ferret' Patterson, Jeff Searles, Ron Brissey, Don 'Fog' Fournier, Mary Donnan;
Hooper on wing.

SCR242, SCS90, NSCR26

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=26450;

I think this is N140T, (not really sure) X-mass 79, Hope the clicky works, if not some one feel free to fix it

Holy Crap! I could be wrong but that looks like 40T when it landed with the Canadian jumper hanging from the door.

His jumpsuit material got caught in the corner of the rear cargo door on exit and he descended from altitude and landed with the plane hanging out like that. He was dragged along the runway but his rig took all the contact and he didn't have a scratch. We didn't have a radio to tell the crew about it when he was spotted and Hooper drove the fuel truck on to the runway to try and stop them from landing. They landed anyway but Jim stopped them from taxiing around with the guy. This photo looks like the moment just after they shut down on the runway and before we got to the plane. Watching that guy land hanging from the plane is something I will never forget!

Jack

Does anyone have any photos to post of
N4395N or N140T before the paint jobs or
the L10E N355B at ZHills?
Rick

From Xmas 79
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Here is (I think) the L10E and the Pieces of Eight team from Massachusetts.
Kneeling, l-r: Paul Cully, Dan Thompson, Bob MacDonald, Ken Carville, Ted Strong.
Standing, l-r: Dan Poynter, David Adams, Don Mayer, Larry Overton, Bill Taft.
Ted's shop was still in Massachusetts at the time and Dan was working there.
HW