fpritchett64

Impact Survives

This may sound like a dumb question, and probably is but I was just curious after reading a post in the incidents forum about someone in Africa surviving an impact from 3000 feet. Later in the thread it reveals that he had a canopy out, it just wasn't written that way in the news article.

Have there ever been any records of someone surviving an impact from a high altitude without a canopy out.

There are several recorded cases of that. One or two WWII flyers who jumped out of burning aircraft without parachutes, a Russian flight attendant who was blown out of an airliner. A fellow on a demo in Alaska went in next t a parking lot into a pile of snow and survived with only a crushed heel and broken fingers ... I'd bet there are a few others, but I wouldn't count on being kucky like these folks were.
Zing Lurks

Although this is not an answer to your question, it is somewhat relavent. EVERY skydiving incident or mishap I've witnessed or had first hand knowledge of has been mis-reported by the media. I always keep that proverbial grain of salt handy while reading news...

This may sound like a dumb question, and probably is but I was just curious after reading a post in the incidents forum about someone in Africa surviving an impact from 3000 feet. Later in the thread it reveals that he had a canopy out, it just wasn't written that way in the news article.

Have there ever been any records of someone surviving an impact from a high altitude without a canopy out.

Chuteless Jumps of the unintentional kind.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I witnessed a student (Mark Mongello) who fell 3600' with nothing out at Indiantown,Fl 1978/9.Broken Femur and jumped again later.

POP

Hi POP

Your the man, so we don't doubt what your saying:)
Did the lucky guy fall thur some tree branchs first, than land in a swamp, or pile of alligator shit, then? or did he just do a outstanding PLF:o

We're just wondering in case we find outselves jumping in fla in the same situation and need to find the sweet spot;)

No way would I ever jump again. Just invest in lottery tickets.:D

I witnessed a student (Mark Mongello) who fell 3600' with nothing out at Indiantown,Fl 1978/9.Broken Femur and jumped again later.

POP

Hi POP

Your the man, so we don't doubt what your saying:)
Did the lucky guy fall thur some tree branchs first, than land in a swamp, or pile of alligator shit, then? or did he just do a outstanding PLF:o

We're just wondering in case we find outselves jumping in fla in the same situation and need to find the sweet spot;)

No way would I ever jump again. Just invest in lottery tickets.:D

I had the pleasure to meet Pop and hear this story from him way back in 1978 when I first moved to Florida. I will let Pop tell it, but it is true. Believe me, I checked around and people back then knew all about it.

Hey Pop, remember me? I showed up with John and Sally Williams from England. On one jump out of the Beech my blast handle got pulled on exit at 10,000 ft and I landed my round reserve in the pit.

Jack

When I jumped at Lakewood, NJ in the ealy 80's, Joey D. and Bob Young, the owners, introduced to me a guy that went in under a streamering round. He impacted down the side of a sand dune in the giant 1800' foot sand bowl that was the landing area. Knocked unconscious with a headache but otherwise okay and continued to jump.

Anyone else hear this one?

Slug, Looking through the old DZ master logs I see the date that Mark went in was 6/19/78 and it was his 7th jump, a 10sec.delay.His delay was stable until he reached for the ripcord and lost his arch causing him to roll several times,the pilot chute bridle wrapped around his ankles.He was fighting like crazy causing the main suspension lines to wrap around him,The canopy (ParaCommander) never came out of the D-bag.At around 1000' his Sentinal fired but the reserve was prevented from deploying because the main lines were around him and the reserve container (chest).He had a partial main pilot chute inflation between his legs and that was it He landed on his back in a iragation ditch with 5-6"of water and 6-8"of mud.The main was still in the bag which was under his right leg which caused the broken femur.
The story has been printed in several magazines and news papers over the years.Mark has also appeared on several tv shows.

POP

In '83 at Lakewood Lubo Bednar (sp?) rode in a streamering main/reserve entanglement and only got slightly busted up. I was packing my ParaCommander and watched him go behind the tree's towing it all. I believe he had a back injury and maybe some busted ribs. Bob Young was the first person to him and assumed he was dead until he sat up and started talking. I kept packing and that was the best job that old PC ever had.