BlueSBDeath

Short Lined PC

I still have duck tape repairs on my MK-1 that was put on in 83 still holding up after all the years
and gets jumped about 5 to 10 times a year but that tape has stayed put.:)Hey if it aint broke don't fix it!

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

The Mighty Pap!!

Hey, that brings back some memories. I actually had two Paps, one in each of the color patterns in your photo.

B|

I still have the Green, White & Black checkerboard one...
It was MY 'first' parachute!:)
When I was 16 I had a job pumping gas..(remember those days) ;)
A guy use to come in all the time to fuel up, he had a beautiful black 69 Corvette, a hot Blondie riding shotgun...and a USPA Member sticker on the back end.

I always tried to engage him in conversation about the car and jumping, and did an EXTRA good job cleaning the windshield in order to ogle the blonde!

...to a 16 year old pump jockey, he was about the coolest guy I'd ever seen!B|

A couple years later I started jumping, and about the time I found myself needing a rig of my own...Someone at the dz mentioned that 'Slick' might be ready to sell his Pap, since he'd gotten married and hadn't been out in a year.

I called the number, went to meet 'Slick' and sure enough...Black Vette in the drive...with a For Sale sign attached.:ph34r:

He took me to the basement to show me the rig...
Hot Blondie standing at the top of the stairs says, I don't care how much you sell that junk for...but either it's leaving with him..or it's in the trash!B|:ph34r:

1977...I got the Pap in a like new Style master, 24' Flat, 26' Strong lopo, altimeter, helmet, two jumpsuits...every parachutist mag from '65 till '75...

For 150.00 U.S. dollars!!!:)

Loading it all in my trunk, Slick did ask a favor....

~Don't sell this stuff to anyone without checking with me first...the Stingray might be stayin' and the BLONDE put up for sale...may want to start jumping again....:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Just think how cool many of us might still be if we hadn't met that beautiful chick who took control of our life from that point on. What was I thinking with when I made that faitful decision to get hitched? It sure wasn't my head. Somehow, after 25 years of married life it just doesn't look that great anymore. And don't tell anyone....(Neither does my wife!)

Anyhow, thanks for another great story, Airtwardo.....Steve1

What was I thinking with when I made that fateful decision to get hitched?

:D:D:D

That's why I waited until my 40's...!;)

...And got the perfect one!:$

A sassy redhead with her own Corvette and Airplane!!!

...She UNDERSTANDS!B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I waited till I was 30. Married a good looking Brunette who owned her own house and had a 280 Z.

I'm not sure what she saw in me. I was pretty much a rodeo bum and logger at the time. Her family was real worried, and they all had disgusted looks on their faces everytime I came courting in my old pickup truck. It might have been that wild look in my eye that swung her over. Hell, I even had all my hair and teeth back then. But then again, that was so long ago, I can't remember much.....Steve1

Funny thing about the shortlining of PCs is that many folks wanted to do it to their used PCs, but had no idea if it might have already been shortlined--more than once! Saw some pretty interesting stuff back then! Jumped some of it too, and glad I was a light weight sixteen year old at the time. The Pap was my favorite, though. Man what a ride!

You definitely have a Mk2 so you still wouldnt get the effect of the short line . They went back to MK1s in 1968 with the red baron , church window etc etc.They made MK 2, during Viet Nam and only succeded in having Airborne troops running into each other on their drifts off to infinity . So they went back to T-10s so now they only had to find earth by gravity. One of the uses for the hook knife was to rip out the data panel to make it fly like a MK1 and destroy evidence it was stolen from the army. The only real problem was it was stil Olive Drab . Iave over 1500 on all PCs except the 23 Russian didnt want to land that hard, Even a 32 Jumbo. Istill have a 1964 Golden Knights Gold and Black. I brought it to Rantoul three years ago, Most didnt know what it was or would jump it. It still works fine. Paraplanes and PCs only came in one size fits all for many years, it was always fun to running to a buddy and say" if you are going to hit that hard why waste your time pulling" . They all had different personalities I had three I jumped all landed different too. So much for nostalgia. Going to Richmond in two weeks might see you there.

Very cool Larry B|
Thanks for all the information, I love these old rigs!!
If you ever want to off load the GK PC let me know!!! I was on the team in 88 and 89, jumped Delta-Clouds, Para-Boots and Motorcycle helmets!!

I would love to own a GK PC!!!!

Stay safe,

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

I just started reading comments about the PC. As i recall you have a Mark-2 from 1968 ,they went back to Mark-1's after that . Yours had no drive hole it was easily remidied with a hook knife
I still have a 1965 golden knights PC ,it flies great.
I never jump a 23 ft Russian, but did jump all 24's mark1 ,2 and 3 plus the 27 ft Russian 28 ft jumbo and 32 ft jumbo, also the RW for a total of 1500 on them 120 on rags and 120 on Delta II's

HiArvie,
Jumpin a PC eh?? Too much fun. Yup, the short line trip suppose to make em' handle better for accuracy.....just don't miss the pit!! 'Put 500 plus a couple of jumps on various config. PC's but once I got my Stratostar, rounds got relegated to reserve duty. 'Last jump on a PC was 04JULY76 at the Grumman-Bell Heli 4th of July gig in Isfahan Iran!! I still think that me, my ex-wife Chris, Lee Sewell and Paul Ross hold the Iranian RW record, a 4-way!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Well, I did jump the Sierra again this weekend :)
Opened "briskly" the spot was on the down wind side of the wind line, so I landed in a soft field next to the DZ. The landing was great, stood it up!!!! There are a few photos of me in freefall with friends on face book (Arvel Shults). I will post some here later for those NOT on FB.

Good times!!!

Arvel

I had a PC Mark 1, red and black, and Dave DeWolf shortlined it for me at a Deland big money accuracy meet. Everyone was chopping 36 inches, and I went for 48 inches. I started logging a lot more DCs because of the decreased oscillation (which was my bane at the time). It sunk like a rock in deep brakes. The Mark II, if I recall, was a dog that nobody bought. Pioneer discontinued it because of lack of sales.
SCR-442, SCS-202, CCR-870, SOS-1353