BlueSBDeath

Short Lined PC

I jumped a short-lined PC this weekend at the CSS T-Day Boogie :)
Man was it responsive!!!! Turned on a dime and landed like shit!! (or was it my lack of skill)

I had not jumped a PC in over 20 years!!

Good times!!! :S

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

Are you sure that is a PC? It looks like the apex is 1.1 oz fabric, which I thought was a feature of Papillons. Did PCs have that too? Heck I used to own one... But there are a lot of misplaced memories in my brain. Maybe Palillons had a lip on the front too. Heck, now that I think of it, there was a Russian PC-like thingy too, the UT-15 or is that something completely different?

Edit to add: Nice PLF position going there.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

That looks like a checkerboard to me; I jumped a Pap a few times, and my memory is that the different-fabric center was larger than the tiny portion of apex on this canopy.

But my misplaced memories are probably competing with yours...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hi DarkWing,

The original R/W/B PC's had a 1.1 oz fabric in the apex. They (Pioneer) had trouble keeping up with this feature when colors came along. If you look you will see that this particular PC is not a checkerboard in the apex.

When the color combo's req'd colors in the apex is when Pioneer went to the 2.2 oz taffeta fabric throughout the canopy.

I owned #363 ParaCommander, a sweeheart.

Easiest way to tell a PC from a Pap is that the Pap had slots in the front just at the top of the first panels of the front gores. Plus some radial slots near the top/hi pressure area of the canopy.

Anyone know what a gore is?

I have no idea about who short-lined a PC :S but man this one was SNAPPY :P

I did swing the reserve off to one side (once I was happy with the mains status) just to help me see the ground better (high mounted reserve)

No data panel or print on it that I could find, so the vintage and other data is unknown to me.

All in all a great ride!!!

Arvel

I had a Red & Black one that had been short lined before I got it...

problem was.....The guy that short lined it also 'short lined' the center lines to the exact length as the suspension lines.

The thing was a snot knocker even sub terminal.

Traded it for a PAP

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I Had an RW PC. It was used in the movie DB COOPER. All White. I think it had a little over 20 jumps on it when I got it. Got it from Dean Westgaurd. That thing was sweet...
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

qustion on your reserve. did you side mount it or did you move it after your canopy was open ??

He moved it after it opened. I haven't seen it done for a long time though. If I recall, it helped when shooting accuracy....Steve1

"Slinging" a belly-wart reserve indeed made it easier to match foot with disc.

Easiest way to tell a PC from a Pap is that the Pap had slots in the front just at the top of the first panels of the front gores. Plus some radial slots near the top/hi pressure area of the canopy.

This baby looks like a Mark II Paracommander, because it has no blow hole at the rear center of the canopy. The Mark II wasn't made for very long. The "Competition" model had an even larger blow hole. The RW model was pretty much back to the Mark I design, only it was built with the same 1.5 oz. ripstop used at the time for squares like the Strato Star, Strato Cloud, or Pioneer's original Viking canopy.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

The Mighty Pap!!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yep, there are red pieces of some type of rip-stop on them. I am not sure why or who may have put them there.

Anyway, good times!!!

Arvel

My old Mark I had a lot of burns on the side panels. I wonder if this could be someone's repair job on that canopy pictured. Not sure what was causing this. I usually did a neat factory pack.

Isn't it nice that you don't have to worry about burns on the new zero-P material. I usually used rip stop tape to repair the small burns, but some people even used Duck tape back in the day....Steve1

Well....................;)..................Don't tell anyone, but this main did have a silver dollar sized peice of Duct-tape on a panel. It was professionaly done, I could tell because it was on both sides of the canopy!!!

Its All good!!

Arvel