longtall

PCA patch

can anyone tell me how I can find a PCA patch without inventing a time machine?

Good luck. I had one passed down to me from an old-timer, and I framed it and put it on the wall. So I'm not giving mine up. But here's a photo of what it looks like.

What's with that odd design, anyway? How come it symbolizes only half of a parachute? Can anyone explain?

The vertical right side of the patch represents vertical descent in free-fall. The 45 degree angle on the left represents tracking through the air. The 60 degree angle towards the bottom is the canopy descent.

Wow, so it wasn't something just drawn out on a napkin at a bar in a drunken stupor. It actually symbolizes things that make sense. Who-da-thunk-it? ;) Thanks for that interesting trivia.

Here is the USPA version of the same design.

That's interesting. So when PCA became USPA, the just kept the exact same logo, and changed the acronym.

Okay, so when did USPA adopt the current logo with wings, a parachute and a shield?

John, I don't remember when the adoption of the current logo was, but the metal wing came in sometime late '60's...perhaps a bit earlier. I have my original set with the "Expert" hanger along with the "Jumpmaster" and "Instructor" hangers...they do date from then.

USPA stated years ago that the triangular lines on the old PCA/USPA patch were derived from Da Vinci's parachute design sketches. If you see the sketch and cover the right half of the canopy you'll see it.

Oh, I like that story! Attached is a comparison of the two.

It looks like the PCA patch is a bit more elongated vertically.

But I like the idea!

The explanation I heard when I was a student, though tongue in cheek was entertaining...

The top three lines show the landing points for-
from left to right ~a Reserve, a Main, and a No Pull....the ground is signified by the horizontal line...the lines below show that no matter WHAT ya do...:)

We're ALL gonna end up in the SAME place...;)

But by using your main...the trip just takes a little LONGER!:ph34r:

Edit to add:
Ever notice the set of 'rocks' Da vinci drew on his "test jumper"...a man wise before his time!;):o

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Ever notice the set of 'rocks' Da vinci drew on his "test jumper"...a man wise before his time!;):o

I did notice that the drawing seemed to be "anatomically correct".

But why in the heck would someone jump that crude parachute while naked? I'd want a leather & bearskin jumpsuit!

John,

Contacted the USPA about the origination of the PCA/USPA patch. Their answer is below:

If Bill Ottley were alive, he'd tell you it is the vertical right side represents free fall, the 45 degree left side represents tracking through the air and the 60 degree remaining side stands for the canopy descent. Ironically, we talked about not long ago because I have an old PCA patch and I've always thought that was the story. Where did you get that definition?
Larry Bagley
Competition Director
C-4005