RichM

Exit order

I'll be sure to tell the 4-way teams practising at the DZ that now they have to remember the colors of the canopies of the folks going out ahead of them. They'll love that.

Yah, but Leemo is on that four-way team Booty Surf. Maybe if I just go and land out behind the trees she'll follow me down and land out with me.
Oh eeeneR?
OK, this thread is officially hi-jacked now.
Chris

Okay people, this has been a good thread with many valid points being raised and discussed in a civilised and polite manner, I'm impressed.
What I'm getting from it is this, in no particular order.
1-Don't open higher than planned
2-Allow sufficient horizontal separation- we can't rely on the 45 deg 'rule', neither can we give a definite timing to space out groups or individuals. Exit timing is dependent on jump run direction and winds, and we must also consider wind direction at varying altitudes.
3-We are all responsible for our own spot, or we have to deal with the consequences ourselves, and this does not involve pulling high.
4- Bryan Burkes/Dave Brownells work is valuable, also Prof Kallend's excellent freefall simulator is worthy of examination, and digestion.
5- Be aware of zooming/floating potential of lo timers and newbies, and try to factor this in. (and hey I include myself in the zoomie bracket even after 1000 jumps, cos I flail head down).
6- Hard and fast rules do not work in this application, we should be aware of the influencing factors, and adjust exit order and separation to suit variable climatic conditions, and an infinite variety of mixed loads. A panacea for these considerations currently does not exist.
I see no discussion of speed racers, surfers, and hybrids here.....therefore we need to factor considerations for these types of jumps into our typical RW/FF loads
Please add anything that I have overlooked to the above list, in the interest of the common good.
Lets all fly with our eyes open and watch out for surprises....wherever they may come from.
Lets take care out there.
Cya
D

with condescending remarks like some of these post contain, from the "sky gods" it's a wonder no one ever says anything, or tries to improvise new ideas. it's all clear now. i didn't make up the canopy color idea, it was taught to me by someone else, i guess i'll have to tell him he's full of shit now? once again, the experienced have retaliated against the aspiring with they're vast, and copious amount of knowledge. in any event, watch out for each other, and be safe. and for those of us who seem to think we've got it all figured out, i'd be twice as careful.
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

with condescending remarks like some of these post contain, from the "sky gods" it's a wonder no one ever says anything, or tries to improvise new ideas.

I think you've completely misinterpreted what people are saying. I also think you're taking this far too personally.
I don't think anybody ever said the idea was "full of shit". I don't think anybody here thinks they know everything or that safety can't be improved upon.
It's not even a bad idea, it's just one that will not work in a practical sense. On the other hand, relying on it so that you can pull high whenever you want -- I still maintain that is a very bad idea.
It doesn't mean anyone is retaliating against you.
quade
http://futurecam.com

>with condescending remarks like some of these post contain, from the
> "sky gods" it's a wonder no one ever says anything, or tries to improvise new
> ideas.
I would suggest that it's because it has been done before and found to be dangerous. They don't let you open high at Quincy not because ther are "sky gods" who don't like you messing with their sacred ideas, but because you can kill someone by doing that.
>it's all clear now. i didn't make up the canopy color idea, it was taught to me
> by someone else, i guess i'll have to tell him he's full of shit now?
Not at all. If you want to remember people's canopy colors, great. I know the colors of most of my friends canopies.. None of that makes it a good idea to open high just because the spot is bad, unless you are 100% sure that you are clear above (i.e. you've given the previous group 10 seconds _and_ you're the last out.)
-bill von

**See? Isn't that completely annoying?**
so your admitting being an antagonists? and no, it doesn't bother me, you gotta get up way earlier, and stay up way late to get to me. have your fun. :)P.S.
in the future, should you feel compelled to challenge me to a "verbal spar" please take it to pm, thanks. it doesn't belong in the forum.
Richard
"Gravity Is My Friend"

Back to Richard.....
here's another one......http://www.afn.org/skydive/sta/dta/exit-order.txt
Hot topic.... here on Hawaii they put FreeFlyers out first. Not necessarily my first choice but opinions are as heated as RSL vs No RSL, Throw out vs Pull out (for FreeFly), Soft Reserve handles...etc.
"This is the 4th time I've been late for work this week!!...and it's only Tuesday!" ...Cheech and Chong

<<RSL vs No RSL, Throw out vs Pull out (for FreeFly), Soft Reserve handles...etc.>>>
You can achieve horizontal separation with FF out first, provided you know what you're doing - or by serendipity (such as having a solo FF going out before a 20 way that will take ages to climb out and get set).

In addition to nacmacfeegle's summary, I feel I would also benefit from a better understanding of how layers of winds in different directions to ground wind would affect jump run and possibly exit order.
An excellent thread here, thanks. Try to be nice :)
Rich M

You should be able to add the vectors of the layers and get pretty close -- the thing that screws it up is the exact time spent in each layer is different for RW v vRW.
The most difficult part would be getting accurate data from which to work from in a timely basis. If your airplane is GPS equipped and has an air data probe, in theory your pilot could provide you the information.
A very simple computer program could be written to do the calculations automatically.
quade
http://futurecam.com