JonBonGraham

Jesus Strings

Thanks all for clearing that up - from what I had heard before, blast handles were just absolute death traps, plain and simple! Mind you, that was mostly based on 2nd hand information from people who had never actually seen a blast handle in real life...
:P

Well ... maybe ... but it worked for me. I put quite a few jumps on the rig shown in the pics that I've posted. I'm still here.

P.S. just wondering - how popular/common were blast handles? Were they "the standard" at any point, or what?

That would be the RSL!

If you'll notice one end attached to the main riser, the other end is on the reserve ripcord cable...

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

A couple of Wonderhogs with "anti-BLAST handles."

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/gallery/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Personal_Galleries/RogerRamjet/Blast_from_the_Past&image=RogTraciGreg-2.jpg&img=&tt=

Sorry the picture isn't better, but both Wonderhogs in the picture have blast handles for the reserves. Picture was taken in Fall of 1978 at the Sod Farm just outside of Tampa.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Hey Sparky...I'm still looking for one if you happen to come across one in your travels!;)

Twardo - Whatcha looking for ... a blast handle?

Yup...:)

Send me a USPS mailing address. I've got a brand new one, with housing and 2-pin cord, that I'll send you. I'll figure out some sort of appropriate payment in the future.

http://home.gwu.edu/~brobie/blast_handle3.jpg

Hi Wartload,

The housing was NOT secured by a 'blue fabric' anything. What you are seeing is the T-12 webbing that was wrapped around the ripcord housing, tacked to the housing & was sewn to the yellow tubular, which formed the RSL. When the risers departed, the T-12 pulled the housing up and away (as you can see, the other end of the housing is held at the container end by 4 snaps), the 4 snaps 'unsnapped' and this pulled the ripcord pins out of the the cones.

The housing was NOT secured by a 'blue fabric' anything. What you are seeing is the T-12 webbing that was wrapped around the ripcord housing, tacked to the housing & was sewn to the yellow tubular, which formed the RSL. When the risers departed, the T-12 pulled the housing up and away (as you can see, the other end of the housing is held at the container end by 4 snaps), the 4 snaps 'unsnapped' and this pulled the ripcord pins out of the the cones.

I stand humbly corrected. That serves me right for looking at the picture, instead of waiting until I got home and looked at the rig!

Anti Wind Blast Handle -- Because there seems to be some interest, I took some pics of a "new" blast handle that's moving to Texas tomorrow. I'll post them here as big files, so that people can see details. They may take awhile to download...

http://home.gwu.edu/~brobie/BH1.jpg
http://home.gwu.edu/~brobie/BH2.jpg
http://home.gwu.edu/~brobie/BH3.jpg
http://home.gwu.edu/~brobie/BH4.jpg

I took some pics of a "new" blast handle that's moving to Texas tomorrow.

:)

Thank you!

I'll send you the details on exactly how it's going to be used...and no it won't be drilled!;)

Also...Yes I'm SURE we can out out something to reciprocate!

I took some pics of a "new" blast handle that's moving to Texas tomorrow.

Thank you!

I'll send you the details on exactly how it's going to be used...and no it won't be drilled!;)

Also...Yes I'm SURE we can out out something to reciprocate!

Does this mean I don't have to crawl up on top of the loft?:P:)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I seem to recall an incident report from the late 70's which reported an individual starting to fall out of his rig in a manner similar to this incident, where the individual made a last chance stab at his rig and actually grabbed the Last Hope Rope and pulled himself back in.

That was the first I'd ever heard of them and my local rigger told me,"I knew those things could save your life." :S
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

I'm wondering if some variant could be used to open a BASE rig in the event of a PC total, like a bridle-over or bridle knot.

Thanks!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I suppose that you could attach the side and top flaps to a BASE rig with yellow cables, similar to the way you disconnect wings from Birdman suits (or open two-handled BOCs), but then you would need some kind of assister pockets on the side flaps and that quickly adds up to a triple-digit parts count!!!

Complication is always a bad idea when you are pulling below the tree tops.

I'm wondering if some variant could be used to open a BASE rig in the event of a PC total, like a bridle-over or bridle knot.

Thanks!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I suppose that you could attach the side and top flaps to a BASE rig with yellow cables, similar to the way you disconnect wings from Birdman suits (or open two-handled BOCs), but then you would need some kind of assister pockets on the side flaps and that quickly adds up to a triple-digit parts count!!!

Complication is always a bad idea when you are pulling below the tree tops.

I giving that some thought too...

But how about this~on pin closure rigs..

Spring loaded flaps as in the Quazar II reserve,
or even 'ye old' pack opening bands,
and-
a cable that would either cut the loop as with
an ADD, or release the back side of it as with
a Tandem main...a somewhat wider bridle for
added drag....just might help in a collapsed
P/C situation...

The RSL wasnt attached to the cable but to the housing as it left with the left riser it took the whole housing with it thus the four snaps on the reserve housing . that meant the reserve could fire with the handle still in the pocket if you werent fast enough to do it yourself.Sherman did a similar thing with a bull ring at the Jump Shack 1973 or so. As far as Blast handles they indeed for ejector seats afer them the rig was already in the plane and the riser were attached to you by your crew. My first Wonder hog in1976 had one it worked great .It made it possible to not have a rip cord pocket on the main lift web at the beginnig of boy or girl harnesses,. the throw out pilot chute was on the belly band.. I switched mine to BOC back then because of the swing wing jump suit in 76 . myRSL was on a 1965 cross bow The one in the picture seemed to have the sail boat snap like the Vector tandem system, so you could disengage it if you wanted. As far as the jesus string goes there was another one on the Strato-Star right frontriser to pull the slider down that went through hole in the canopy . it was a X riser witha 5/8 tubeular webbing that became the bridle on top for the pilot chute .As the slider came down it retracted the pilot chute to be on top.Needless to say it needed some convincing. I had an old B-4 that pull sequence was pull then hook both thumbs under each riser and push out to get the sleeve of your back , sometimes an elbow was added like karate defense stuff . I knew how to drill and tap Blast Handles for replacement gear shift knobs on buddies cars .I feel sorry for all the nubies that never got to know that just because you got the RW over with fun was just starting Especially with a ropes and rings Paraplane or Unit .

Dude! 2nd picture.. is that a belly band with the altimeter on it? Never thought about putting one there. Good idea!;)

Belly band yes...but not for a throw out.

Look close, there are TWO ripcords on that rig!;)

(...and a last hope rope)B|

When the reserves were moved from the front to the back where you couldnt reach them ,to assist their deployment.We were nervous enough to grab at ropes. Ropes to assist the reserve. Also called " last-hope-ropes"or "Jesus strings or ropes" No photo but Ill try to get a diagram from another oldtimer. Some of the early rigs with the reserve on the back were just a "belly-wart" on the back above the main container. The "pig-rig" (piggyback).
" 90 right, five miles then cut."---Pukin Buzzards

The "Jesus String" on my Security Crossbow rig consists of a length of 550 # suspension line. One end ties off at the eyelet of the top reserve flap and the other is routed through the connector link of the left reserve riser and ties off at the body of the left "One Shot" riser release. I never had to use the reserve with or without the "Last Hope Rope" so I cannot testify to the efficacy of the setup, but it was there if I needed it. If you think something will help, it will.