steve1

Anyone recongize these old Idaho jumpers?

Smart money is now that the "round" guy wearing the piggyback, second to the right end is Ralph Hatley. Next to him, the tall guy in black is Gene Brent. Standing on left end is Larry Warner. My source is saying about 1970, but we'll see.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

This picture should be better than the others. Dave Tousey (far left) owns the bar at Lost Prairie. Fred Sand (fourth from left) owns the jump operation there. Fred and I are both balder today. Dave still looks the same, (even though he is over 60 now). Most all of us got our first kiss pass from Nancy.....Steve1

Damn, you guys are old.:P

Sparky

Oh, I know! I sometimes wonder who that old fart is staring back at me, out of the mirror, each morning.....Steve1

As long as you remember who the dude in the mirror is your not that old:) Yet:|

R.I.P.

Jan Sullivan and John Stubblefield put together a great collection of old photos for Eddie's services recently. I had forgotten Bullit Bob ever looked that young. Not to mention the skinny blonde kid name Ron Gulley.

Rob H

John Stubblefield is a name I haven't heard in a long time. I was a Firefighter in San Bernardino. He and his Dad did quite a bit of development there.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I had forgotten Bullit Bob ever looked that young.
Rob H

I was on a bigger load with Bullit Bob last summer organized by Beesely. When we got on the ground Beesely immediately started chewing me out for being in the wrong slot and messing up in other ways. I mean it wasn't a happy picture. When I explained it wasn't me, he finally figured out that it was that damn Bullit Bob. Bob has the same white jump suit and white Z-1. I had thoughts of getting a different colored outfit after that.

Then we went up on another load. (Bullit Bob wasn't even on this load.) Russ Berree's son was making his first tandem and we were going to build an eight way around him. Hod Sanders was the tandem master. Things were building real nice. I was going to come in next to Hod. Then some other guy hit it real hard on the other side just as I was coming in. This caused things to drop slightly and turn at the same time. I ended up catching part of Hod's burble and glanced off his side. Then I came back in for a nicer entrance. When we watched the video, I looked awful. Russ, who was watching said, "Come on Bullit Bob". So I said, "What's wrong with that Damn Bullit Bob." Maybe I'll keep my colors after all. They might come in handy next time I screw up....Steve1

Regarding the original photo: I am sure that it is Larry Warner on the left in blue and Hatley with the X-Bow rig. Ralph jumped a mirror-image X-Bow rig; reserve handle on the right web and main handle on the left web.
Ted Mayfield was recently elected to the City Council in Sheridan, Oregon; not in jail but like most of us, getting old.

Here is one for the who's who, I can identify about six for sure. Ed, Phill, Allen, Squirl, Ray, Steve.
There is also a lost set of images from this same 1978 Star record attempt, which was misplaced at Lost Prarie. Slide and stills of the Star and stawberry Glen people after 75. I hope someone has them. dahlenaz

There was an out of stater that went in that year. The spot was further south than it should have been. He was over Potts Peak and probably had about 500 feet less to work with than his atimeter said. He cut away too low for his reserve to open.

OK, I'll come clean. This was at the Oct 77 Upside down meet at Star. Photo by Craig Huch

Base has
Emmett Tim Florea (Red) 8:00 position
Pete Hill (Blue rig) 6:00
Jeff Wragg (white jumpsuit) 3:00
Hank Barber & Cody

Outside:
Mike Jensen (brown) 6:00
Phil Reeves (blue/red racer) 7:00
Stevie Morrow (black/red racer) 7:30
Eddy Pancoast out 9:00
?? (Yellow rig) 9:30
me (Blue Jumpsuit) 11:00
Ray Phuillips (white jumpsuit) 12:00
Shawna (Red helmet) 2:00
Funny Miller (blue/yellow/red rig) 3:00
Randy Yost (blue) 3:00
Tom (Sully) Sullivan (red/black/blue jumpsuit) 4:00
Al Gilbert (green rig) 5:30

Low:
Tom (Rozzo) Canarozzo
Roy Baldwin
Greg Self

The real interesting part of that weekend was getting down to Boise from Athol in the '501' Beech. Thru clouds and weather with no instruments. Les Williams was the pilot and used his nothing but dead reckoning and a magnetic compass. We missed Boise, came out of the clouds at Mountain Home and had to stop for fuel in Boise before we got to Star. Good thing we were all young stupid and bulletproof.
Ted
D6691 SCR 3975 SCS 2242 NSCR 698
On the road to wrack and ruin…………
but making damn good time.

Now that we have that cleared up, Do you have a set of these in your collection? The prints went to Mac or Pete last spring after the Easter road trip. I've got them on a disk still. Would love to fix you up.
I was such a newbie back then but Ray sure took me to the next level quick. Had only a clue of all those who were pioneers while they brought me into the sport. They were so innovative, Flipping formations?? Morphing a tube?? Flying upsidedown?? I've never been a normal jumper since.
Hope to see you sometime soon. dzp [email protected]

If you look at the front of the aircraft it appears to be a bubble nose. This means it was an AT-11, a military version of the Beech 18, used to train navigators and bombardiers. It is probably the same aircraft (just a guess on my part) in the photo in the thread "First All Collegiant - 8-way" since both threads are about the Northwest and look to be the same era.

Jack

Do you know if this Beech was used at Rozzo's in Athol 77? What a great rush that was taking off over the trees. I had under fourty jumps at that time, The take-off and showing Ray the writing on his pilot chute are the clearest memories of that foggy time. I't would be nice to fill in that tail number. dzp

Tail #s, you want tail #s? Well, it would take some digging to find but Jeff probably has all that shit logged along with total time on the airframe, annual date, # of trips to Mexico etc. All I know is the green/white plane was 501. I think that was an AT-11 but I'm not sure. I also have a D-18 and an SN1-B that we called "snib" logged. Maybe the long term memory will kick in soon.............;)

Ted
D6691 SCR 3975 SCS 2242 NSCR 698
On the road to wrack and ruin…………
but making damn good time.

No need to go digging, just was curious if that one got around and was one of the things that connected aAthol and star. I was such a newbie that it was all quite overwhelming. Keep your eyes open for those slides that went missing in lost prarie the udside downer in 77 and 78. Team name foreskins was one of the unique ones.
Did you hear that a road is being planned that might take the DZ off the map? i'll tell ya more if you want the info. [email protected] dzp

As I recall, the AT-11 (bubble nose) belonged to Wally Benton, in Star. I think Rozzo's beech at Athol was a D-18. I recall the SNB, but I don't remember where it was or who owned it. I think Rozzo's D-18 is the one that Joe Taylor crashed with a load of Montana musicians, killing all.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History