-Joey-

No Jumpsuit

So I decided I pretty much hate jumpsuits and am determined to never wear one again when not doing RW.

What are the safety implications of this? is it just a matter of making sure to not wear too loose of clothing and then you're good?
Skydiving is serious business

What are the safety implications of this? is it just a matter of making sure to not wear too loose of clothing and then you're good?

It's pretty simple to think this through. Loose clothing doesn't have to be a safety problem unless it runs the risk of falling off, entangling with your gear or covering your handles, right?

If you're jumping alone, that's about it, but a lot of people think that solos get boring after a while.

If you're jumping / free flying with others and your clothing meets the basic personal safety standards above, can you also stay on level with the people you're jumping with reliably and track well?

Will the clothing you're wearing provide any protection if you have a nasty landing?
Owned by Remi #?

Not exactly what I had in mind :P
Photos are nice, though.

But naked jumping is safer! No clothes are going to get in the way of your handles. ;)
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Photos are nice, though.

But naked jumping is safer! No clothes are going to get in the way of your handles. ;)

Butt the grippers are a bit errr...personal?
Side note, have you read the history of the world record naked jumps at Skydive Elsinore back in the day? "Grippers" kinda hosed the record.:P

Butt the grippers are a bit errr...personal?
Side note, have you read the history of the world record naked jumps at Skydive Elsinore back in the day? "Grippers" kinda hosed the record.:P

I wanted to put a naked 4-way together and call it "More Grips".

I have not read that history! Where can I find it?
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

I can't recall the woman that had the history book, but she was at both Pat Morehead's 80/80, and at the SOS event a few weeks ago.
Apparently a guy 'gripped' a woman on a practice jump, and as a result, the women refused to participate in the jumps. I hope I've recalled that correctly.

Photos are nice, though.

Well being in a formation with a bunch of naked girls might cause me to forget about altitude awareness for a while :D Altimeter check? Oops totally forgot about that...

It's pretty simple to think this through. Loose clothing doesn't have to be a safety problem unless it runs the risk of falling off, entangling with your gear or covering your handles, right?

If you're jumping alone, that's about it, but a lot of people think that solos get boring after a while.

If you're jumping / free flying with others and your clothing meets the basic personal safety standards above, can you also stay on level with the people you're jumping with reliably and track well?

Will the clothing you're wearing provide any protection if you have a nasty landing?

Agreed completely. One thing I never thought of on no-jumpsuit jumps is that your t-shirt could easily flip up and cover up your handles. Tuck your shirt in tight.

Also good points on group jumps. If you're really talking about doing RW and not just belly solos, you're going to have a hell of a time with fall rate and moving quickly. You're also going to track a lot slower than other folks. When I do a group no-jumpsuit jump, we give an extra 500-1000 feet between breakoff and pull altitude because tracking will suffer.

All things to think about, but if you do it correctly, it shouldn't be a problem safety-wise.

@labrys and evan

Good points on the tracking issue - that didn't even occur to me. I was mainly thinking about loose clothing covering up handles and whatnot.

Anyway I wouldn't go suitless doing RW. But I'm more interesting in freeflying anyway.

Anyway I wouldn't go suitless doing RW. But I'm more interesting in freeflying anyway

Higher airspeeds makes loose clothing even more of a problem. Any sort of dock or linked exit can also be a problem with loose/street clothing. Grabbing a jumpsuit sleeve will usually not be a problem. Grabbing the sleeve of a long sleeve T or sweatshirt can pull it out from being untucked, or at worse, pull it right off your arm and pin your arm inside the sweatshirt.

Street clothes were not made for freefall, jumpsuits were.

Get a 2-piece jumpsuit. Then you can take the top off immediately, and just pretend that the bottoms are your pants.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I wear Under Armour hot weather gear during the hot days under my suit. It does wonders when taking your suit off and on, especially if you are all sweaty.

I don't know what jumpsuit you wear or what you wear underneath them, but If you wear anything cotton, you're just going to sweat and it just gets uncomfortable.

Get a 2-piece jumpsuit. Then you can take the top off immediately, and just pretend that the bottoms are your pants.

Wendy P.

I didn't even know those existed. I'll have to spend some time on Google now :ph34r: Thanks!