slug

Thermal's

Hi Folks

There a tread on prsent day jumping of the P.C. AKA "Retro Gear" going on in a different forum.....:)
Damn I forgot the name and don't know how to do the clicky thing[:/]. Uh where was I[:/] I remember now:)
Reading the thread about jumping the PC's reminded me when I was 40-50 lbs lighter :)
Does anyone else remember jumping on a hot day catching a thermal on a round and and landinga lot later than everyone else on the load?[:/]

Help! or am I just having another senior moment[:/]
Anyone have any good:):P

R.I.P.

I really was skinny once when I was younger.... really.... I think I'm the skinny guy with the hair in the picture. But all those young guy's in the picture were skinny....and had hair.[:/]

I think it was back in the stone age's, folks were using pencil and paper [:/] before computers and stuff.

Damn I like getting old every day is a new day:P All the young Tall sweet young things!:)B|:ph34r: Their everywhere even at the DZ's.:P:P

Back to thermals:|

Ya know . . . it still happens today.

Maybe not quite as noticable on the sub-100 square foot canopies, but there have been days out at Perris where, on my Spectre 190, I could easily stay up twice, maybe three times as long by working the thermals.

Depending on the day, I might not even worry about the spot as much because I know I can work the thermals so that I get back from an otherwise unacceptable one. The combination of thermals and RAM-air parachutes can be pretty fun if the conditions are right.

Of course, a canopy pilot that does not understand how they form and work might not fair as well.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

In 1962 myself,Corky Durbin,Martine Durbin (65 US team) made a jump in davie,Florida from 7200', On the approch to the target I had the disk in the cross hairs at around 7-800'and I looked at my altimeter and noticed that I was now at 1000' and climbing.I looked for the other jumpers and noticed they were also climbing too.Corky was facing upwind (holding)and I was facing downwind (running)Martine was trying everything she could at no avail.At 3500'and 3 miles from the DZ we finally got out of the themal.At least a 20 minute ride,and all on 28'7TU's!!! POP D47

Even now, under a Crossfire2 loaded at 1.9:1 I will use thermals (roads/taxiway) to get back from long spots. I've done the same under a Sigma 370.

Hopefully some day I'll get the chance to play with it under a PC.;):)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Even now, under a Crossfire2 loaded at 1.9:1 I will use thermals (roads/taxiway) to get back from long spots. I've done the same under a Sigma 370.

Hopefully some day I'll get the chance to play with it under a PC.;):)

Hi Dave

PC's are fun just remember one size fits all. For Us small people (back in the day:() no problemo except we couldn't get as much horizental drive :( or rate of desecent:)
I think most of the horror stories about the firm landings are from big people that missed the peas.

No disrepect but Your one of the big people I recommend picking your day if youg going to miss the peas do a plf while crabbing into the wind. I'm old so ask around I wasn't a big guy so didn't very about it but the peas made life easier for big people.

Get some adice from a big person. A water jump would work with the right gear and planning:)

R.I.P.

Get some adice from a big person.

Ok, I'll ask my mommy...:P

(sorry, couldn't pass that one up:P:P)

Yeah, I am "one of the big people" I guess I should have also stated in my post I want to do a PC jump, once I drop some weight off and get back to a "normal" weight.

Thank you for the concern, though, its refreshing to see someone actually speaking out rather then letting it go for fear of flaming.

Anyhoo, I put money on the fact that the guy I know that owns some very cherry "vintage" gear wouldn't let me near water and he wouldn't let me near his gear at my current weight.;):)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hi Slug,
Thermals, I love em'!!!!!!!!!! Hell, I just blew he2xl out of 20 bucks and I want all the air time I can!! Any time I hit a noticable bump, I try to work it for extra altitude. I currently have a Stiletto 190 and it works great for catching thermals!!

Over the years, from cheapo's to P.C.'s to Ram Airs, for me Thermal Hopping was always a quest. I've flown R/C Model Airplanes too for many years and model sailplanes are fun!!

What gets me is jumpers who freak out at any little other than smooth air bump and try to get to the deck as fast as they can!!

Many times if it wasn't for my experience and ability to work thermals I'd have lended in East Bumfu*k many times!!!!!!!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Don't know if anyone remembers my 37 min. canopy ride @ Perris under a T-10. The jump was one of my earliest. I weighed 105 lbs without gear, had some pins and screws in my leg from a car wreck in 1970. Started jumping a few mos after that. My 1st jump was a water jump @ Elsinore. I was hooked after that. I jumped the big green cargo chute a few times cuz I wanted super soft landings. One day in Aug. there were thermals everywhere. I jumped a 2 or 3 man. We all pulled, they landed, had lunch and I was up there for 37 min. I pulled at 2500. Clean opening. No problems. Went down to 1500 and then back up to 2000. I even went up to 2900. Shit I thought I was doomed to spend the rest of my life under this big ugly green rag roof. I was gettin a little scared though. Didn't know how high up I would go. They stopped the jumping cuz I was hovering over the target. NOT too safe for other jumpers. I learned later that I could have pulled on a toggle and got out of the thermal. Kinda cool experience. Just hung there and waited for that thermal to turn me loose. I was the talk of the day and night. LOL. This was in 1971? Can anybody top that one? Let me know. SANDY
Sandy

Paul,

I get some great rides with my Sharpchuter. I run back and forth along the east edge of the runway and can stay at 1000/1200 feet for ever.

Sparky

EAA Oshkosh air show...end of July in Wis.

The thermals on a no wind day coming off that
big runway are unbelievable!

Going straight down the middle, in 1/2 brakes,
I've watched my altimeter CLIMB 2-300 feet...!
B|

For kicks...I always wanted to jump a Tandem
canopy solo and just keep going up and down
that runway to see how LONG it would stay up there.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Not a thermal but....

My DZ partner threw a static-liner out one day just ahead of some pretty grim looking weather. We thought it would be the last jump of the day. Was it ever!

The student exited OK and opened fine. After opening she climbed above the a/c to the base of the clouds and stayed there!

I saw this happening and jumped in the truck. We were in very rural Georgia with swamps and TALL pines all around. She stayed stuck to the cloud base for what seemed an eternity. Finally she got broken loose and came down a couple of miles from the DZ in some not too big scrub pine.

All was cool and she wasn't too upset, at least not as much as we were.

I remember one time at YOLO Calif during a style and accuracy meet, Jeanne McCombs go caught in a thermal in her papillion. She was stuck at about a thousand feet for about ten minutes. She was low enough that we could yell up to her and talk to her. It really was hilarious. I believe this was in 1974.

Sorry guys I hit the wrong key. I was under canopy 27 min. not 37 min. I could blame my type error on long fingernails. They are long since I don't jump anymore! I could blame it on brain damage from the 70's...[not enough beer, or too much.] I could just tell the truth and blame it on the fact that I'm almost 59 and a dumb ass. The fingernails sounds better to me. BUT..... You are my friends though so I'll go with the I am a dumb ass excuse. CUZ FRIENDS DON'T LIE!!! Yeah right.....SANDY
Sandy

Sorry guys I hit the wrong key. I was under canopy 27 min. not 37 min. I could blame my type error on long fingernails. They are long since I don't jump anymore!
-----------------------------------------------------------
but.....you could.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

No...I couldn't!!! :(I would love to though. At least 3 more to make it 1000. My legs just wouldn't take it. Some old war wounds from car wrecks. If I could land on a cloud, I'd try again.:) Sandy
----------------------------------------------------------
Yes you could. Ive had four knee surgeries. a crushed spine from a bad landing..two surgeries from that and I got a new hip last summer.
Ive made 70+ jumps since the hip and 1500 since the spinal injury.
Dont land on a cloud.....land on your ass like I do.

bozo

bozo

What Bozo Said:)
With the newer canopies and the multiple choice in canopy size if you really want to you can. I'm sure some of your O L D friends here have the right gear to get you back in the sky safely.

Just don't do what the young ones do:(. Very small canopy and fly it light a rocket ship.

"Who says skydivers are stupid? We invented a whole new way to kill oursleves"

R.I.P.

MY ASS? :S What? Why would I wreck the only part of me that still functions properly. I sit on it all day. If it ain't broke...don't break it. Butt seriously, I'm sure the guys could hook me up and give me some O.K. landings on great gear. The risk is just too great for me at this time in my life. Also, I'M JUST TOO SCARED and not willing to experience anymore body pain. :( True answer. :)
Sandy

MY ASS? :S What? Why would I wreck the only part of me that still functions properly. I sit on it all day. If it ain't broke...don't break it. Butt seriously, I'm sure the guys could hook me up and give me some O.K. landings on great gear. The risk is just too great for me at this time in my life. Also, I'M JUST TOO SCARED and not willing to experience anymore body pain. :( True answer. :)Well Sandy.....I have to hand you this...youre obviously much smarter than I am.
If the need ,desire and satisfaction of jumping arent greater than the pain it causes.....it certainly isnt worth it.

bozo

bozo

Yep that's me....Strip tease...NOW...Who are you???>:(

I'm glad this thread is about thermals, otherwise you might be drifting off topic. As it is, though, your skirt's clearly been blown up ... a thermal if ever I saw one!

How am I s'posed to answer that "Who are you?" question, anyway?