slug

Bob Spraque?

Hi you all

Anyone remember Bob Spraque? I think he was the Conference Director and judge? for the midwest back in the day.

There was a "big Boy" thread in one of the other forums and I got to thinking about Bob. He was a big man and we got to do a wind dummy load with him at a conference meet.

When he got in the door of the cessna it was like a eclipse of the sun, no wind no noise nothing.

We ran into him years later in arizona or florida?and didn't recognize him. He must have lost half his weight.

Anyone got any funny Bob Spraque stories? know what happened to him?

I remember the man (who could forget?), but not his rig. Do you remember what he jumped?

Bravoniner

Some kind of big PC type thing forget the name, 32 footer maybe. I doubt if he could get away with a 28 ft surlus main for a reserve must have had a big lopo.

Real nice guy. always had to go out base.

R.I.P.

I remember the man (who could forget?), but not his rig. Do you remember what he jumped?

Bravoniner

Some kind of big PC type thing forget the name, 32 footer maybe. I doubt if he could get away with a 28 ft surlus main for a reserve must have had a big lopo.

Real nice guy. always had to go out base.

R.I.P.

As I remember,
Bob used a "Jumbo" Para Commander
(Red & Black) and a 26' lopo reserve.

Anyone remember Jim "Round Man" Delap?:S

Bob tried diving on HIM once...
And couldn't catch him! :o

...Two of us would exit our club 182 and
hook up, "Round Man" Delap would give us a few
second head start...
(slow SQUEEZE gettin' out the door):P
...the just wave as he screamed by FLAT & STABLE!

Bob & Jim once joked about being a 4 way
competition team...

JUST THE TWO OF THEM!:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

What was "Mr" Delap Jumping?

Did he almost always land in the peas?

Was he around for the "wing wars":( sound like he would have needed a tent.

I really admired those big guy's they really had to want to jump. Frenchies a very good PLF and the Peas.

Did you know Jack Bergman? I met him once at the same time I met Bob Spraque. Jack had a great "attitude."

R.I.P.

Jim Delap almost always jumped a standard P.C.
...and yes, he ALWAYS landed in the peas!B|

I recall for a period of time he used two reserves
after blowing up one following a total.
Over stress it!:o

"Round Man" bought a square...
A heavy weight "Cloud" with rings and ropes.
I helped him pack it, and he asked me to go ahead
and jump it to check the trim etc...

It took 1500' to open,
and had severe end cell closure
problems (both sides) that I couldn't get open.
I landed with the left side still rolled & closed.>:(

Shaking his head, he said those squares are gonna
start killing people,
I'll stick with what works!:$

And to the best of my knowledge,
never jumped that canopy.:|

I knew Jack too...
An icon in style & accuracy!:)
I was thinking how I'm older now than
those guys were when I met them...

And as far a skill,
I still...COULDN"T CARRY THEIR BOOTS!!!

Those were the days!

IMO the transition period from rounds to squares was a testing phase. With the jumping public doing some of the testing.

Packing the ropes and rings with the half hitch:S plus the "trim tabs" on the risers just in case the canopy had a built in turn:S

We watched the guy's at the DZ switching from the latest sq to the newest sq's as the design's were refined but I still didn't trust them. Kept on jumping my round

When It was time for me to convert to the square's like everyone else so I quit for 10 yr's. Checked back in and it looked like the sq's had gotten as reliable as the rounds., and the piggy back could fit my short height:)
Guy's like round man would have enjoyed the new stuff. No more one size fit's all!.

Two reserve's:o Damn I'm guessing one in the front and the other in the back. With the second one just in case he had to use the first one at terminal and it blew, at least it slowed him down enough, the second one might work at sub terminal. Very hard core:S

And then he had to make it to the peas.:( or get ready for a serious PLF. Those big guy's were hard core.

Jack OTOH based on the one time I met him wasn't that big but had "real character".B|

These days are still good just a different place in time and demographic group. $$$$

I don't remember Were there even waivers back then?

R.I.P.

Two reserve's Damn I'm guessing one in the front and the other in the back. With the second one just in case he had to use the first one at terminal and it blew, at least it slowed him down enough, the second one might work at sub terminal. Very hard core

That was it!:)
If he wasn't BIG enough B 4...
Add a few parachutes!!! :|

He was one of the best jump pilots
I'd ever been with as well.

Those "Hard Core" old timers were truly
the pioneers of the sport.

I wish more of them were still around...

Guys like Bill Cole B|

To give insight what it was REALLY like
back in the 'Good Ole Days'

I don't remember Were there even waivers back then?

The little club I started at in ' 76
Had a simple waiver...

Something to the effect;

This is dangerous, you could be hurt of killed.
You do this at you own risk.
If you try to sue us...we'll kill you.
The End.

It was in 1969 or '70 that Bob Sprague passed through Z'hills, offering his "I caught Bob Sprague" patch to anyone who could accomplish the feat. Somewhere around 6' 2" and 280lbs, it was a distinct challenge. Taking up the gauntlet, I was awarded the coveted recognition, which numbered, I think, 26. He jumped a 32' Crossbow, one of a dozen that had been made for the USFS and sold off after testing and falling short of requirements. He also obtained one for Paul Healy, an old-time Tampa Skydivers Club member who, at 350lbs, couldn't go to terminal on his T-10 without breaking lines.
Jim Hooper
SCR242, SCS90, NSCR26

Back in the days of the Wing War jumpsuits, The Ghoulidge Star Service got Bob, known then as Refrigerator Bob, his SCR. Two people exited with Bob like an AFF level One deal and me and another floater docked on Bob's legs, like a pod, to hold him up level with the star. I think there were 10 of us on the load. Bob was sceptical about the plan, but we pulled it off and the beer was on him that night.
Zing Lurks

I met a large man in Coolidge in the rigger shack. The sign on the door was "poor ol' rigger Bob. He had some cool posters on student training...J........

That wuz him. Same place I met Bob.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Hi slug
Yes I caught Bob Sprague too!!! Sometime in March of 1967. I was home on boot leave from the Navy before I was to go to Navy Riggers' "A" School at Lakehurst NJ. Bob was living up in the Chicago area at the time and it was snowing. My old DZ Bud Leon Riche invited Bob down to Louisiana as the weather was nice!! Got to jump with Bob a couple of times and me and some of the other guys enticed him to come on a RW load with us. I climbed out on the strut of the Howard DGA15P and as Bob left the door , I let go, reached over and grabbed on !! What a ride!! I looked straight up between my boots and the other guys were in a head down dive not making much progress!! That's my story and I didn't get a patch but that's OK, I STILL CAUGHT BOB SPRAGUE!!!!!!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Bob ran the static line concession at coolidge, then at Eloy for a few years. His last DZ was a school at Estrella Sailport near Maricopa, Arizona. He is happily retired, living near Prescott Arizona. By the way, He was known as Rigger Bob.Many years ago he was known as Kelvinator Bob.

I knew Bob, I was a pilot and rigger at zhills back in the late 60's
I was about the same weight as bob and he kept pressuring me to base up with him....
I often used his 32' crossbow which was his main canopy at the time, i think he had a navy conical for a reserve....

Here's Bob Sprague, judging at the September, 1970, Club Nationals in Ohio. In the foreground is Dick Barber, also a well-known judge.
Photo from the huge collection of the late Jim Bates, which I am slowly scanning.

HW

Howard, do you know what DZ that was at? I was still living in OH back in those days although traveling to KY on the weekends.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

I don't know. It's one of maybe 30 pictures of the event in Jim's collection, none of them seeming to give an indication of where it was.
If I run into any article from the period which says where the 70 Club Nationals were held, I'll let you know.
Interesting idea, "Club Nationals." Probably couldn't happen now.
Attached is another picture from -- I think - the same event. Shows what dangerous stuff jumpers do when the ceiling is low. Maybe someone will recognize the place. (I'm not sure whether it's the right orientation -- it could be flipped 180°.)

HW

The Club Nationals took place near Cleveland Ohio every year.

I was at the Club Nationals in 1970, at that time I jumped with the Columbus Skydivers from Darbydale Ohio (where I started in 1969). In 1971 I was there with Greene County from Xenia Ohio.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.