mikkey

Name of Skydiving TV Show in the 60's

One word...ebay

The childrens book comes up very often as do a couple of VHS tapes of about 10 episodes. Simply search keyword ripcord. I have purchaced about 16 of the original 16mm prints and convrted 6 of them (so far) to digital video/DVDs including a rare episode in color (sort of;)

Bob Sinclair shot the first part of the Rip Cord series. I belive his company was called ParaVentures. His partners name might have been Lee Hunt. I had about 10 jumps with Bob Sinclair when he ran the California City DZ.

Bob Buquor was the camera man for the second part of the Rip Cord series. I had about 50 jumps with Bob Buquor at the Arvin DZ. With most of them, Bob was taking photos with his motorized 35 mm Nikon mounted on his helmet.

I knew Bob from San Antonio, Texas before we both ended up in California. Bob had a low C license number C-150 but never got around to applying for his D license because he thought that C-150 would look better than a higher number D license (ahh, vanity).

Bob was trying to make it in the movie business. He shot freefall sequences for part of the "Rip Cord" series and for several other movies.

At this time, I was a 1st Lt. in the USAF at the Flight Research Center at Edward's AFB Calif. I did most of my California sport jumping at the Lancaster DZ which was close to Edwards AFB. However, Bob and I would get together at Arvin to jump.

Bob shot the freefall photo's when we made the "First Six Man Star in the World” September 6, 1964, at Arvin, California." The photo of the Six Man Star was a centerfold of Skydiver Magazine.

Bob Buguor was the cameraman for another Skydiver Magazine centerfold that showed the same group of jumpers leaving a Twin Beach.

Bob drowned off Malibu Beach, California in 1966, while filming a movie sequence for a major studio.

Bob was a good swimmer and would not have drowned if he would have dumped his helmet, with a large 35mm movie camera mounted on it, and the large heavy battery pack attached to his waist. But good jumpers never dropped ripcords handles or dump a large expensive camera, not when it belong to the movie studio, in the ocean.

It ironic, the camera and battery pack were recovered in good shape along with Bob’s dead body.

Dr Richard Economy D115
[email protected]

See the Web link below:

(http://www.scr-awards.com/bbmsc_the_beginning.html)

The Bob Buquor Memorial Star Crest http://www.afn.org/skydive/rw/bbmsc/index-old.html

The Bob Buquor Memorial Star Crest (BBMSC) is a perpetual memorial to commemorate the efforts of the late Robert H. Buquor who played a major role in the origin of star formation relative work.

Bob Buquor initiated and photographed the majority of the star attempts at Arvin, California in the early 1960's and was successful in capturing the first 6-way star there on film on September 6, 1964.

Bob drowned off Malibu Beach, California in 1966, while filming a dangerous movie sequence for a major studio. It is to his driving enthusiasm in this aspect of the sport that this membership is dedicated.

Gentlemen:
The pilot on "Ripcord" was Lyle Cameron. A very good friend. A good test jumper, did some work for me.
blue skies,
Dan

Lyle passed away some years ago, but his son Lyle Jr still jumps out at Perris, usually on Air Trash Days (last Saturday of the month). He's got the entire Ripcord collection at home. He also remembers going out on location with his dad for many of the Ripcord shoots and has some fun stories about that from a kid's point of view.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Hi Mikey!!!
R-I-P-C-O-R-D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)B|B| Far out man!! I love this thread!! Those were the daze!! Ripcord was already into re-runs when I got to Ca. in late '67 but the guys that did the jumping and filming were still around and into other stuff.. The "Ripcord" laughs and gaufaws over Cardinal demos at Dicky and Marilyn's as well as Cardinal Frank's "Rumbleseat Tavern" still live vividly in my brain!! Al-K-hammer disease??? What's that??
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

No sliders in those days, just sleeves, which was something like a long D bag pulled over the entire canopy. I know, I was there and I also watched Ripcord as and adult, if you can call a 19 year old Marine an adult.

Met Bob Sinclair at Cooledge a couple of years ago. Found him to be an interesting guy worthy of spending a couple hours with, just talking. I was doing a two way and Bob asked if he could join to make it a three way. He had no jump suit and as we left MM's King Air I expected that was the last I would see of him, but he was there turning points with us.

Anybody know Bob's exit count?

"Lyle passed away some years ago, but his son Lyle Jr still jumps out at Perris, usually on Air Trash Days (last Saturday of the month). He's got the entire Ripcord collection at home."

As I recall, Lyle, Sr., D-561, died in Central America during the summer of 1993. Cessna 180 crash (?)

Has Lyle, Jr. ever considered releasing his collection? In these days when the history of the sport is dying day by day, bringing RIPCORD back to light would help keep the beginnings of the sport alive.
I would be willing to do what it takes to help with the project.
www.SkydiveLostPrairie.com

Kind of an old thread to revive, but I recently bought both seasons on DVD from Amazon and watched the entire first season in a day. I watched the show as a kid when I could convince the rest of the family. I suspect the show planted the seed for me. Of course the old strutted C210 amazed me and I loved the skydiving scenes. Of course the gear and technique are a little out of date:)

That show planted the seed for me as well plus the fact that our neighboring farm had a weekend parachute club operating out of their fields, Crossroad Skydivers of Downingtown, PA. My great-grandfather, 84 years old at the time and a dairy farmer, said if he was younger he would like to parachute jump.
www.geronimoskydiving.com